EAB Fretless Acoustic-Electric Bass Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 08/31/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: EAB Fretless Acoustic-Electric Bass
This is a great bass for less then $300. I love that it feels like its built out of steel and can withstand anything it bangs into.
 7.2
 8.6
 5.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
EAB Fretless Acoustic-Electric Bass Reviewed by: thha2, on august 31, 2012

Features: Spruce Top - Mahogany Body - 34" Scale - 1-5/8" Nut - Set Mahogany C Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - Lined Fretless - Sealed Die Cast Tuners - Celluloid Binding / Rosette - Rosewood Bridge - Dean Passive Preamp - Classic Black or Gloss Natural - 24 frets // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and metal core music. But I do also play acoustic songs of all musical tastes. I played a Ibanez acoustic SGEB bass also and I found the sound a bit to treble for me. It just didn't feel like a bass. I picked up the fretted version of this baby and found it to sound just right, I do wish it was a bit louder though. When I play with guitarists and they are attacking the strings at the climax of the song I get drowned out. I opted for the fretless because as it is a bass you have to press down harder then a guitar. And double that since it is a ACOUSTIC bass. I have finger strength enough to play it, but you have to keep on the pressure to avoid the fret buzz that comes with almost all acoustic basses. And plus it just gives you a better sounding slap. I have used this bass for funk/jazz and Les Claypool type playing. It handles it just fine. But I find it a bit weird slapping a acoustic. I used this on a Peavey Headliner 410 cab and a Peavey Headliner Amp Head. The on-board controls are very useful and responsive and are a great help for playing on low-end equipment with limited options. The onboard tuner is a life saver also. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfect from the factory. I didn't have to adjust anything but the tuning. I don't know about other guitars of this nature but this one always seems to come just a bit out of tune. I keep it in Drop D 90% of the time and the low D always seems flat. The Classic black finish is beautiful. I am happy I picked this over the natural Gloss. I love the headstock. It is so regal and proper looking. The only 2 complaints I have is the dots on the fretboard. There are none. They show lines on the fretboard which divide each fret but no actual dots on the fretboard. There are dots on the upper part of the board facing up. But they are confusing at times. But that's just a minor complaint. The other is that it feels awkward to rest my thumb on the body of the guitar when playing with my fingers. I fixed this by gluing a little piece of plastic that I use as a ledge for my thumb to rest on. Crude, but it works. The fretboard feels very soft and not well coated, it has some string impressions from playing and doing bends. I wish it felt a bit more withstanding. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is built THICK. The body looks and feels like it can take a pounding. I have banged it (on accident) a few times on desks or amps or chairs etc. And the body hasn't even flinched. The hairware feels nice an reliable. I would trust this bass to play a acoustic set. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great bass for less then $300. I have been playing for 2 ana half years and I own a Peavey 410 headliner cab and the corresponding head. I would defiantly want this back if it was stolen. I love her to death. I named her Jane. I love that it feels like its built out of steel and can withstand anything it bangs into. Looking back though. I might have gone with the Ibanez SGEB acoustic bass. Only because that bass feels cheaper and I would walk around town with it in my hand. This baby is only for my house and gigs. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014