Edge 10A PJ Review

8.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Edge 10A PJ Reviewed by: redxoscar, on october 25, 2010

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Mine is a 2010 model made in China according to the serial number on the headstock. The finish on mine is just sheer black. I originally was going to get the (better looking imo) white one but unfortunately Dolphin Music only had a black one, despite what their website said. The headstock front is black too, with the Dean logo. In fact, everything on this bass is very dark except for the neck, which is a pale maple. I'm just going to quote the specs to save some time here :P * Basswood Top / Body * 35 Scale - Slightly longer, I guess * Maple Neck - I love this neck, it's a very simple cross between a fast jazz neck and a sturdy P-Bass style neck. It's not fast enough to do any excessive solos or fast stuff, butit works fine for what I play * Rosewood Fingerboard * Pearl Dot Inlays - These are odd in that they're off the centre of the neck. You can see this on the picture too. Doesn't really make much difference, when you're playing you don't see these ones anyway * Die Cast Tuners - Nothing at all wrong with these. they're a weird triangle shape but that doesn't really make much difference, just aesthetics. Bass holds tune well, unless you knock into something, then it's a pain to tune it again. Always have to re-tune it when I get it out of my soft-case, but that's expected I guess * Black Hardware - Simple, black, sexy * Die Cast Bridge - Ditto. * Dean PJ Active EQ Pickups - Look good, very solid active pickups. I think these are just regular Dean active ones? Nothing too special here Its got a Master volume Pickup selector switch Bass Boost/Cut Treble Boost/Cut Didn't get any accessories with this apart from some little screw type things to adjust the truss rod and bridge with. // 8

Sound: I mostly play punk and hard rock, and this bbass is great for that. If you switch to the jazz style bridge pick up it gives a great treble punch that cuts through the guitar lines, great for Green Day or Sex Pistols. The P-Bass pickup has a more thoom kinda sound, more of a rumble, gives it diversity, and for when you can't be bothered to set the bass/amp up for a song. The middle sounds kinda odd, like a mix of both, but the pick ups work against each other. Sounds, odd I guess. I either have it one or the other. The active electronis are great. If you really want to exaggerate a particular sound in the middle of a song, you can do it. However, weaker (practice) amps will kinda "brown out" if you boost the bass too much. Leaving it below the little mid-point thing will be fine though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I got this was frankly awful, the strings were way too high, it wasn't intonated properly, among other things. I haven't adjusted the pick ups yet, but they're all set up fine, not too high or low. When I got it it was covered in sawdust and dust, not too bad, but still. The only major flaw is really annoying fret buzz on the 8th fret of the e string, which I haven't been able to fix. It isn't a high fret or low action. Still have no idea what this is caused by. Also, the pickups aren't humbucking so expect some hissing. Nothing much, not really noticeable. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Definately a solid bass. Not too valuable, so you don't feel you're playing a vase or something, you can swing this around and know whatever it hits is gonna be worse off than the bass. I fitted some straplocks too, just to be sure it fly off and knock someone's toothe out. The hardware all seems solid. I'm not too concerned about the finish, I even reckon it would look better with some scars and scratches, it's very sleek. // 9

Overall Impression: Great bass for what I play. For a Dean, its definatley not a metal bass, or for that matter a jazzy/funk bass. For your average garage rock band, this is perfect. I've been playing for over a year, and atm I only have a small Carlsbro 15 practice amp which it sounds fine through, but I've played through more professional ones at live venues which makes the active electronics really shine. If it were stolen, I would probably just get a cheap Squire P-Bass from lack of funds, but I would definately get a new white one if I had the money. Very cost efficient, the cheapest active bass (and the best) I could find anywhere. All in all, great bass for punk/rock. // 8

Edge 10A PJ Reviewed by: wrg31968, on november 14, 2011

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Features: For the sake of time and space I am copying the info from the Dean website. My Bass is the Skullcrusher graphic and was made in China and inspected in the US. Basswood Top / Body 35" Scale Bolt-On Maple C Neck Rosewood Fingerboard Pearl Diamond Inlays Die Cast Tuners Black Hardware Die Cast Bridge Dean PJ Active EQ Pickups Finishes: "Skull Crusher" Custom Graphic // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock & metal and this bass sounds great! I have put it through everything from Queen to Scorpions to Quiet Riot and have been able to get a great sound. My amp is a simple Ibanez practice amp. I can only imagine how great this will sound through a REAL amp! There is a great tonal range with the pickups. I can get from deep crunchy bass on up to a more "twangy" sound that you hear with say the Rickenbacker. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up was perfect! Very low action easy to finger and a pretty fast neck. I have not had to adjust the pick ups. The only minor (and I stress minor) flaw was old strings and the volume & tone knobs were loose. I replaced the strings and went to the local music store to have the knobs tightened for about $10 which was credited to my account by zZounds where I bought the bass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can't give much of a fair review here since I have only had this bass for about 1 week. I will be playing it live in a few more weeks and have to say so far it sounds every bit as good as my current ESP or any Fender I have borrowed Hardware seems very solid and should last quite a long time. Strap buttons seem very well made & I have yet to have my strap so much as slip let alone pop off. I think the finish will last quite some time. The skull graphic looks great. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a mix of Blues, Metal & Rock. I have been playing for about 3 years now, so I guess you could say I am still learning. I would have liked to be able to play this in store before purchasing, but would have bought it on the spot after hearing the sounds since receiving this bass. If lost or stolen I would definitely buy another! I have checked out Fender, Ibanez, and currently own an ESP. The neck is not quite as fast and thin as on the Ibanez, but is much faster than my ESP. I would put it somewhere around the Fender Jazz. This neck is slightly thicker but not enough to make much of a difference. I highly recommend this bass to anyone looking for a new bass for either practice or stage play! // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014