Pace 5-String Electric Upright Bass Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 06/12/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: Pace 5-String Electric Upright Bass
The Pace Bass 5 Features 5 Strings, Solid Maple Neck-Thru Construction, Classic Slotted Headstock Design, 6" Radius Rosewood Fingerboard, Side Dot Position Markers, Piezo Bridge, 35" Scale Length, Double Braced Tripod Stand, Black Chrome Hardware.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Pace 5-String Electric Upright Bass Reviewed by: CaivsxCaesar, on june 12, 2008

Features: I purchased this scratch n' dent, but I found no visible blemish anywhere on the instrument. It came with not only a stand but a semi-hard case. It has five strings, from B to G, and a black finish. It has a Piezo bridge with an individual pickup for each string, although it only has one volume control. There are also treble and bass controls once you take off the backplate, although they are unlabeled. It requires two 9 volt batteries to run. It is, as expected, completely fretless. On the side of the neck are dot-markers to assist those in transition from normal bass to upright. // 8

Sound: I run it from my guitar amp as I don't have a bass one, a small Peavey practice box. However you can recieve several different sounds if you play around with the equalizers, from a deep low hum to a bright clearer tone. It also sounds pretty decent with Drive, which I use to accentuate the rhythm in our band as we currently only have one guitarist. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There were a few wrong things I noticed after playing. For one thing, the B is practically inaudible due too low action, and even after adjusting the action, it still isn't as sustaining as one would hope. Also, after a few days there was a strong buzz on the D string, which I was able to fix by replacing the 9 volt on that side of the instrument. Besides these two issues, everything was crafted quite well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is not as reliable as it could be. For one thing there is a strange loud buzz when the amp is turned on every time, although that may just be the result of me using the wrong amp type. Sometimes this takes a while to fix through playing around with the chord connecting it to the amp and simply playing until the noise leaves, but it isn't too much of a struggle. // 7

Overall Impression: I play garage rock/grunge and purchased this to have a unique touch to our band that would distinguish us from other local groups. It is my first bass and despite it's fretlessness, it is quite easy to learn songs on it due to the dot markers. I was impressed with this item, and continue to be very satisfied with it. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014