JB-302 Review

manufacturer: Dimavery date: 11/01/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Dimavery: JB-302
In the beginning the bass kinda suited my style (funk/rock/jazz/reggae). The overall sound is the sound of a normal fake jazz bass, nothing to get excited about but with a low output volume.
 1.9
 2.2
 1.5
review (1) pictures (4) 5 comments vote for this gear:
JB-302 Reviewed by: Zonwuka, on november 01, 2011

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Mainmusic

Features: - Construction: Bolt on - Body: Basswood - Neck: Maple - Fingerboard: Rosewood / 21 Frets - Pickups: 2 x J-Bass - Controls: 2 x Volume / 1 x Tone - Bridge: Classic JB-style - Hardware: Chrome - Colour: White - Incl.: guitar bag and strap - Incl. 1 cable, 1 set of strings and 1 set of picks // 5

Sound: To begin, this is the worst piece of sh*t bass I've ever played. You've heard people cry about Stagg guitars, the same for Dimavery. In the beginning the bass kinda suited my style (funk/rock/jazz/reggae), it sounded nice with my Q-Tron and Line 6 amp, but after 2 months, slapping with the neck pickup on (in my opinion the best slap pickup) created a harsh PLWHPGPH with every pluck that destroyed the whole sound. A few weeks later this pickup also started making this sound if I played fingerstyle and played quite hard like you would do in a solo. The volume knob for the neck pickup makes noise when used. The overall sound is the sound of a normal fake jazz bass, nothing to get excited about but with a low output volume. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: When I ordered this bass, it already took 1 week longer than the company who sold it said it would take (1-4 days), but I still had to wait longer because the bass Dimavery sent to the selling company was broken so they had to send a new one and another week passed... As I just said above the pickups are bad, I'll have them replaced a.s.a.p. When I finally got the bass out of the box, I noticed the neck was un-treated/coated, rough and had splinters in it. After some sanding and having played it for a wile (which adds a grease/sweat cocktail from my hands) it now is kinda smooth and shiny. The tuning pegs are crap too, to tune my E string I need pliers to hold the wheel at the back of the neck otherwise the tuning mechanism explodes (it's no fun to discover that on a peaceful Sunday morning). The nut resembled a piece of white chocolate left in a 4y old's pocket on a HOT day. The body feels extremely square, maybe due to copyright they can't use the original shape so they chose an anti-ergonomic, big, heavy, Sov. Union shape. The control plate and pickguard don't match size where they get together. The strings I got with this bass are extremely bad, they sound like phone wire and have a low volume so I bought better strings. The bag I got with this bass is very thin, the strap for the bag (it only has 1) was broken after one day of non-hooligan treatment, the bag by the way is made for right handed basses, I ordered a lefthanded bass which doesn't fit in it unless you turn it around and even then it's almost too tight. The strap I got with this hardly fit's the straplocks on the bass. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I am quite worried about how long this bass will survive, buying a more expensive bass would have been a better option but what can you say, hard times eh? I have used it at gigs without backup simply because I don't have one (I do have a fretless but that's for other purposes). The finish however looks kind of ok, it does catch a lot of dirt but maybe this special Tsjernobil chemical mix in the coating does help to protect it. // 3

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 2,5 years now I think, I have one Ibanez GSR-200L bass and a Squier Affinity series Strat. I don't think this bass would be stolen that quick because it has a pink shiny pickguard with a white body, it's quite heavy, has a made in China sticker on the back of the headstock, the tuning mechanism expludes when tuned without precautions, it's lefthanded and it doesn't have a bag that fit's. But, if it woul'd happen I would be mad because I would have lost 129 and 2 cans of pink nail polish but I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT buy it again. // 1

More Dimavery reviews rating category latest review
+ ST-203 7.1 Electric Guitars 11/24/2011