Wildfire Review

manufacturer: Drive date: 07/31/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Drive: Wildfire
The Drive Wildfire bass is a pretty simple 4-string, short-scale bass guitar produced somewhere in Asia.
 7.6
 7.6
 7.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Wildfire Reviewed by: cal1, on july 31, 2009

Purchased from: Axis music

Features: The Drive Wildfire bass (there's a guitar version too) is a pretty simple 4-string, short-scale bass guitar produced somewhere in Asia. The woods used in the bass aren't too bad, and the finish is good but it absorbs fingerprints pretty easily. The body is a basic double cutaway, except that the upper cutaway bends sharply, which looks pretty cool. There is one P-Bass style pickup, which delivers an "ok" bland sound. The bass came in a beginner pack with a strap, gig bag, some picks, and amp, and a cord. // 7

Sound: I play death metal, and this bass sounds decent for that. Really, you can get a pretty good variety of sounds out of it with the included amp. There is a little fret buzz, but I'm noticing this after about 3 years of playing it. Basically, the bass is good for a lot of styles but it isn't perfect. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was good, and the action was nice. The pickups were adjusted well, and everything was installed properly. No flaws that I could see with the bass. The amp held up pretty well, but the cord broke after a few weeks of use. The gig bag feels pretty good, unlike the cheap nylon ones you get with a lot of bass packages like this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would say its about average with durability, and the finish is great. There's a minor crack in the headstock of my bass, which doesn't affect tone or tuning. The bridge and tuners feel pretty sturdy, but the pickups (as with most entry-level basses) feel a bit flimsy. I would use it at a gig without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: The bass gives me the sound I want, but that's about it. I've played guitar for almost 9 years and bass for about 4, and this bass has worked pretty well for me, even when I started playing primarily bass. If it were lost/stolen, I would upgrade if I had the money. I like the body style and the neck scale, and the bridge and tuners are solid. I don't like the pickups a lot, but those can always be replaced. The Drive Wildfire is a good bass to start off with or a good bass to use as a backup, but experienced players should go with something else. // 8

More Drive reviews rating category latest review
+ CD300 5.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/12/2010