Allen Woody Rumblekat Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/27/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Epiphone: Allen Woody Rumblekat
Woody, who passed away in August 2000, was an avid collector of vintage Epiphone basses, and this signature model combines the features that Woody found best for playing in his aggressive, rumbling style. It has a semi-hollow, single-cutaway, archtop body similar to that of Epiphone's Kat series but without f-holes. The neck is a 30" short scale for easier play. Mini-humbucking pickups in the neck and middle position deliver a warm tone. Gold hardware.
 8.1
 7.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Allen Woody Rumblekat Reviewed by: zichy1, on january 27, 2007

Features: 30" set neck, mahogany finish with 20 frets. Mahogany chambered cut-away body without F holes like most other "Kat" Epiphones with 5 ply flame maple. Solid burgundy finish with cream stripings. All gold hardware which is dead sexy. Two mini humbucker passive pickups, vol-vol-tone control configuration, three point adjustable tailpiece. // 8

Sound: For a passive pickup bass the sound is very very good. High notes are clear and precise, but I found that the really deep lows tend to drop out a bit especially if playing and open E after some higher notes there would be a bit of "lag" time for the sound. Very little string buzz which pleasnatly surprised me. I'm a finger player mostly but found I got a better sound out of this bass when pick playing (this bass was made to the late Allen Woody's specs and is designed for more pick play which I found out after I had purchased it). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is fast! Being a short scale I can nagivate around this neck incredible quickly. The neck feels fast and fits beautifully into my hand. My only complaint was that the pickups were adjusted too high and soemtimes the strings would hit them. Easily fixed by lowering the pickups, but had to be careful to balance out the sound. I have two main complaints about this bass, I do not like the pickup that is set at the neck and the pot dials are so manky they scream cheap (this was easily fixed by swapping them with Gisons dials). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this bass extensively. I has stood up well, but I have now retired it. the hardware seems to still be going OK, but I'm looking into replacing the mini humbuckers with some active pickups. The strap buttons were crap; as this is a hollow body guitar the screws came out really easy so I had to epoxy them in. The guitar is very dependable. I gigged it for ages without backup and it never skipped a beat. The finish on the bass is OK, except for twp complaints the gold finish on the humbucker covers is wearing off where the strings move over it, and this finish is very easily scratched, I'm a finger player and I rest my thumb on the middle pickup, hence the finish above the pickup is very very scratched. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this is a sexy bass. The gold hardware is a killer, and the hollow body means that it is ver light, but being a hollow body, I wouldn't want to drop it. It was my first major "serious" purchase and for a short-scale it is very fast and very reliable. I will admit to a preference for the "Les Paul" style bass shape, so this bass appealed to me along with the retro look it has. If it was lost or stole, I would definately buy another one, but I would really really want it to have active pickups, the lack of which is probably about my only realy gripe aboout this bass. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014