EB-0 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/31/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Epiphone: EB-0
EB-0 is an electric bass with a single sidewinder humbucker, chrome hardware and mahogany neck. It offers great tone and playability for a very reasonable price!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.3
 Features: 6.7
 6.2
 6.8
 5.5
reviews (9) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
EB-0 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: - Manufactured appx. 1998 - Made in Korea - Scale Length 30.5" (Short Scale) - Mahogany Body/Bolt-on-Mahogany Neck - Ebony Finish - 3 Point Bridge w/tuneomatic saddles - Single Passive EB-0 "Sidewinder" Neck Humbucking Pickup - 1 Volume/1 Tone - Imported "Grover" style shamrock tuners // 8

Sound: I am glad I did not take any of the advice from the various Bass forums out there. They all spoke so poorly about this bass. I even saw one individual define this bass as the worst production bass ever!? He obviously hasn't the slightest idea what he is talking about but, I digress... This is a great little bass. Great for a beginner and even for a professional. The neck is nice and thin and straight as an arrow. The bass is a little on the heavy side but some may prefer that. It is not the most versatile bass in terms of tonal options but, if you are looking for a nice "thump" and great playability... You cannot miss with the Epiphone EB-0. I cannot vouch for the Indonesian or Chinese models but the Korean model I have is top-notch. Crank the tone to 10, the volume to 10 and just play it! It is a fun bass that will get the job done and then some. I am a professional luthier/musician. I recommend this bass to anyone interested in a short scale bass. For the price, you can't miss. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Every instrument needs a setup... Period. Imports and Domestic instruments alike. Most music stores don't bother with a good set-up or have some idiot 20-something that "knows too much" about guitars to do any guitar justice... Do it yourself (it's not that hard)or go to a good trusty luthier/tech. Ask for some credentials! This is a very simple guitar. There is nothing to adjust but the string height and possible the neck relief or neck angle. Being a bolt on neck, there is alot of freedom to get this thing chimed in. I couldn't find anything worth mentioning. It was $128.50 Used. A little bit of TLC, polish and know how and its a perfect bass. A good setup can make or break an instrument. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You have got to take care of anything you own. It is a durable instrument. Maybe not "hydrogen bomb" durable... But, what is? This guitar can take a good amount of abuse as can most bolt on neck guitars. Be careful not to break off the headstock. The Epiphone/Gibson headstock angle is notorious for snapping when dropped the right way. Overall, reliable and durable. // 9

Overall Impression: Great bass at an even better price point. These are cheap to buy but not necessarily cheaply made. My advice: Steer clear of the forums that are filled with all the guitar snobs that have nothing better to do than gripe about current manufacturers and pine for the old days. The US makes just as much crap as China does. I challenge you to find a USA made regular production Gibson and see if you can justify the additional $900+ dollars you will have to spend to get the "Gibson" decal and Made In USA stamp. This Epiphone EB-0 can stand it's ground against any modern Gibson EB-0 made today. I look at it this way. I have $1300.00 and you have $1300.00. I spend $200.00 on my Epiphone. You spend $1300.00 on your Gibson. I play a show and you play a show. Afterwards, the girls come to see us. Your flat broke but, you have a Gibson Bass. I have $1100.00 and my Epiphone Bass. She's gonna go home with me. Period. That flat broke/starving artist stuff gets old fast and she knows it. I can play AND I can afford to have a good time and treat her to a fun night... You decide... This is why we play music in the first place. For the chicks! // 10

EB-0 Reviewed by: the metal bassi, on august 03, 2007

Features: Authorized by Gibson, Epiphone EB-0 has brought back a classic of the early '60s. Based on the Epiphone SG, this guitar-sized (30-1/2" scale) bass is a great axe for anyone not quite large enough for a full-size bass. Although full sized people are able to play aswell. This bass features 30-1/2 scale, 1 humbucker Sidewinder pickup, bolt-on neck, rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays, tone and volume controls. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal/hard rock, and I must say this bass has a beginner tone meaning I don't feel it can be veried enough. I play this bass through a Kustom KBA10x amp (also reveiwed by me) and it's gives a satisfactory tone at an alright bedroom volume. This bass gives a very punchy tone which for some reason may help with their bands sound, but not mine. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not had to make any changes what so ever to this bass as it came in perfect shape. However the one fault I do have with this bass is the inability to slap. If however you do decide to slap on this bass, you get a lot of sound made by the pickup as the pickup is very high and close to the strings. The finish on this bass came to me in mint condition but throughout the time I've had it, it's deterioted badly // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only played live with this bass once, and never again! It was a mistake to use this bass Live due to it's muddy sound. To add to the tone trauma I had strap problems. I do not own strap locks therefore don't use them, on all my other guitars/basses I own none have needed strap locks as the strap has held fine. However, this bass was different. The strap came off once during this show, but I was able to resusitate the Live presance by quickly puttin my knee up holding the bass there. I believe the strap has issuses due to the poor idea of where to place the strap buttons. Also, another problem I have had with this bass is it's far to head heavy. If you let go of the neck of this bass for five seconds, it would be dragging across the floor. // 4

Overall Impression: This bass I believe first and foremost was designed and made with a begginers bass in mind. If your looking for a cheap effect first bass I would consider this bass however, probably go for a squire starter pack. I wish before purchasing his I tryed it for longer and with a strap as if I had, I probably would not of purchased this. At the time I was looking for a cheap begginer bass I could get quickly so I wish I had asked for any other models before purchasing this. I love the look of this bass but hate the tone and construction ideas. If this was stolen I would not buy this again I would get a Fender or Ibanez as compared to one of these this an excuse! // 5

EB-0 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2011

Features: Made in Indonesia, I don't know when. 20 medium frets, a short scale, very thin neck. Made in solid mahogany, not really light. But who cares? It's not made for knitting. The nitro glossy finishing is really nice, kind of "soft touch", very good feeling. The body shape is the classic iconic sg shape. Love it or hate it. I LOVE IT! Three point bridge, very good construction, well made chromes. You can really change the action in half a second. Passive electronics. Just two controls: volume and tone. For me just volume was enough. Humbucker at the neck, huge magnet inside. It sounds muddy and dirt. Wow. Huge tuners, open back. Classic style, very good quality, clean tuning. I bought it online and I got his hard-case in bundle. // 9

Sound: I use pick and fingers. I play a kind of ART rock-noise. I placed a thumb rest at the bridge. I own a Line 6 Lowdown 110, a Boss Bass Overdrive, a E.H. Mole and a Lexicon MX200 rack effect. All in line. But I mainly love to play it just bass and amp, the lowdown is more than enough. It sounds naturally not-so-clean (it's short scale). Really deep tone (with flatwound strings). Go easy with the amp's volume, it's a ground-shaking bass. I work mostly on low frequencies on amp, not on bass, I just leave the tone knob on 10. Is definitely not a multi-purpose bass: it plays rock. Dot. You can't slap, but it sounds great both with a pick or finger style. Even thumb style it has a fascinating tone, very low. As a bass should be. Try it with a pick palm muting and you'll hear.. Wow. Not for everyone though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Low action from the factory, the E string was fret-buzzing on top of the neck. I placed D'Addario flatwound strings and set neck, bridge and saddles. Now is far better. But I have to pay attention to the E when I want to play "clean". The mudbucker was quite ok from the factory. Just a couple of checks. You have to adjust the settings as you prefer, it comes in a standard-setting that doesn't really match with the bass' potentials. It's well made, especially for the price. All the main things are really well made. No rust, no oxidized parts. The only "problems" I found on mine was the jack's bolt weak (I change it) and one screw on the pickup a bit too loose. Ah and the tone knob slightly wobbling (not the hardware). I don't really love the nut, it's just cheap plastic, I works fine though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The bass is robust. But I never had any accident. I have the feeling that you have to take care of the neck, it' really thin. Don't make the bass fall (it sounds smart uh?). The hardware it will last for long time, I'm pretty sure. The mechanics are sturdy and the electronics really minimal. Less things less problems. It's a bit neck diver, so if you don't want to get tired wile you play you should use a leather strap. I also moved the neck strap button (in the back) on the top-left side of the metal plate, it helped a bit. // 8

Overall Impression: For what I do, this bass is perfect. I play rock and noise really focused on sound and tone. I play bass since 1998, I also own a long scale Ibanez with less problems but even less personality. I got exactly what I was looking for: a very simple bass. I'm even planning to remove the tone knob, I like the natural sound of the bass and if I want lower frequencies I prefer to work on the amp, for a better quality. One thing: the neck is short but not SO fast, the low tension of the strings it requires a good control of your fingers. This bass has character. A lot of people hate it, I understand why, it is particular, you can't change it. You have to fit with it. Last year I was thinking about to buy a Gibson EB3, but I'm happy with this bastard, I think I'll get old with this one. It's minimal and annoying as I want. // 9

EB-0 Reviewed by: froggyman, on november 28, 2008

Purchased from: Samedaymusic.com

Features: Not Sure of the year but made in Indonesia, Twenty-one medium frets with a shortened 30.5" scale. The body is made of Mahogany and mine has a nice deep black finish on it. I have to say I really like the SG styled body but am disappointed at the lack of controls(one volume, one tone). The other cheif complaint is the the sole neck humbucker doesnt't allow for much versatility. // 7

Sound: This bass suits my style just fine(Hard rock, thrash metal, and some lighter pop-rock) though I have to say that it lacks the bright tone required for some of the more poppy stuff I would like to play.The only amp I have played through is a Epiphone studio bass 15 watt amp so this may be part of the problem. One adjective describes this bass, muddy although it can be made brighter with a little adjustment. The tone really lends itself to drop tunings(especially D and C) the deep muddy tone sounds nice and heavy. Overall the lack of additional pickups and tone and volume adjustments make this guitar not very flexible soundwise. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great and in tune when I got it. pickup was in great shape and the only flaws I could find was a chip in the fret board but even then it is hardly noticable.However, when I changed the strings, the nut that holds the strings slid off when I tryed to turn the tension up enough to tune.I easily fixed this with a little epoxy and time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think if I did gig with this it would do fine all of the electronics and parts are in great shape and it looks built to last. The strap buttons are a lit bit of a nusiance as the like to disconnect from the strap occasionally. The finish has stayed as rich and black as the day I got it. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass is a fairly good match for any younger beginner looking for a bass for harder rock(AC/DC and Black Sabbath especially). If this bass was stolen I would probably buy a Squier VM or CV jazz or P-Bass. My favorite part is definatly the looks... I love the SG styled body and the double cutaway design. // 7

EB-0 Reviewed by: Orion61, on march 31, 2014

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Made in China year unknown, I bought it used but all the plastic was still on the pick guards and access door on back. Fret work is ok to a point then went South. The paint job is very good, Poly clear coat is pretty darn tough. I have a feeling the Korean basses were much better. Over Size Moly Chrome frets a HARD I had to file 2 of them. The tuners are smooth non locking. Mahogany neck. Bridge is semi-adjustable, 3 point vertical adjustment but no other help for intonation. this would be unacceptable for a 6 string. // 5

Sound: There are just not a lot of different settings. The large humbucker has plenty of output but the tone knob just doesn't do a horrible lot for changing the sound. Kind of like trying to make television more intelligent by using the Brightness control. No good there. It keeps asking for 500 characters here sheesh so I am going to fill it with. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I was pretty disappointed in the over all fit of the bass when I first got it. It says set up and inspected by number 29 in the USA, all I can say is MR. 29 must have been having a pretty bad day that day! Either that or he went out Drinking the night before with his buddies. I think a Monkey with a Pipe wrench could have done better. Large gap between the neck and body lost a lot of power and depth. Neck was not set symmetrically, both were fixed. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I am very conflicted about this bass. There are things I like and others that are unforgivable. First a little about myself, I have been playing bass professionally for 37 years I have enjoyed just about every type of music from old classic country to jazz, blues, rock and classic rock. I was Inducted into The (IRRMA) Iowa Rock & Roll HOF worked and recorded with Chris Ledoux, Kenny Chesney, Gordon Lightfoot, Bill Haley's Comets, Dwight Yokum

If this is going to be your first bass, and unless you have some Luthier skills, run Away, don't look back. It is poorly fitted, and factory set up, & limited sonically. Now that I have your attention, let me explain. If you want a bass that will give you more than one sound with the flip of a knob or switch, buy a Fender type bass, PERIOD The Squires I have, and I have picked up, "Hundreds" have been set up with better action, straighter necks, and more tone to choose from. They don't sound as good as a USA bass but there is a reason. We are talking about entery level basses here! The Basswood is a bit heavier than I thought it would be but very comfortable to play a full night.

Now the positive things that I love about it. The Finish is fantastic for the money! I had to pull this guitar apart screw by screw. The neck had about a 1.5mm gap between the body and neck! The strings were about an inch off the fret board, (it was the only way it didn't buzz) 2 of the 3 lugs for the bridge were pulling up OUT of the body! A dab of Goilla Glue and a Brass tac hammer had them reseated. The fret job was quite well done, except for 2, those were too high and so the neck had to have nearly all the truss rod tension relieved.

If you are handy, know HOW a guitar works and can do things like file crown and polish a fret (all available to learn online) this can be a fun guitar. I re-adjusted the truss rod, & set the bridge back down. All of a sudden the intonation was good! One small victory. I had to square the neck so the strings were even on each side of the neck. Before the heavy strings were on the edge of the neck and the D and G strings were a half inch away. Another victory.

The sound is another thing but fits well with certain rock and country songs, think of the Thud from Paul McCartney's bass for the early Beatles. Sonically low but very strong, and even. You won't be slapping this bass, forget about it. True blue country, and bluegrass are strong deep and solid! There are a ton of classic rock songs that sound better on this than my Fenders, basically anything recorded on a semi Hollow bass guitar. I have had a couple Bass friends play this guitar, Before and after version, and they were amazed! One guy in a Country band tried and tried to buy it, I finally shut him up by offering to work on one if he bought it. It is sitting in my workshop with the Bridge lugs drying right now.

It was kind of like dating the ugly sister and taking her in for a makeover... sorry ladies... I love the looks and feel of the bass, A 2" strap will fix the little bit of neck dive. My other Eppi Jack Cassaday bass is much worse, The neck is thin and feels like the 60's SG Guitar necks, not like the thick Klunky 50's Gibson necks. Much of the "FEEL of a Jazz neck (without the normal 9th-10th fret dip in the neck). This thin Bass doesn't hurt my forearm after a few hours playing time (or my back). I noticed even tho this is a short scale, it doesnt feel like it, the fret access above the 12th fret is AMAZING! This also offers some sonic variation simply not available on any other bass! Finally something unique and all its own! Another thing is this bass's action is SUPER FAST, jazz is fun when your fingers are flying!

All in All, I am glad I bought this bass, I had a good time teaching my son how to work on a neck, how to determine proper setup with the limited adjustment on a semi Static bridge. OH YES the mass of the bridge helps with the neck dive and adds a SOLID depth I haven't heard with another short scale inexpensive bass.

This review has either turned you completely off on this bass, or really peaked your interest! My evaluation is unique to MY bass, others could be different it is a perfect example of "WHY" some guitars are so cheap, they don't spend the extra couple hours on the build, they cannot! // 8

Overall Impression: It is also a good example of the mentality of some bass players of "If it ain't a Fender it's junk" I must admit, it took me decades to really begin to appreciate the different sounds and virtues of different brands, even if there were limitations in sound. Some day a young Hot Shot bass player is going to take one of these and make it his sound. Remember Kurt Cobain with Nirvana? His little Mustang short scale guitar he played? Some people won't like this because it doesn't have the large block inlays, I looked at the EB3 and thought the Fake Pearl looked so bad
The dots looked much more professional. Let me know what you think. // 7

EB-0 Reviewed by: Bullet_Fan, on august 20, 2007

Features: This bass is based on the popular SG style and was made in mid-2004, Made in China of basswood. The Epiphone EB-0 has one humbucker at the neck position which provides a nice mellow sound. This bass features a 30" scale neck which contributes to this bass being a short scale bass and a rosewood fingerboard. The neck and body are finished in ebony which does not easily chip and is still as good as new (minus belt-buckle rash. It has One volume control and one bass control. The bass came with a 1 meter cable which didn't work. // 7

Sound: This was my first bass and I play a wide variety of styles ranging from Metallica to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. This bass could easily recreate the Red Hot Chilli's sound with a bit of tweaking, but no matter how much I tweaked the amp and guitar I couldn't really get a good heavy sound. I'm running it straight into a Peavey 10watt transtube without any effects and it sounds pretty nice for lighter rock and anything up to The Who as it produces quite a bright sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As soon as I received the bass I swapped out the strings to my preferred gauge, the action was a little high for me but I never bothered raising it. Everything seemed pretty stable except from the pickguard which felt flimsy as if it had no support underneath. Soon after receiving this bass the input jack came loose, no big problem as I screwed it back in and it has not come loose since. The neck was straight and the hardware was stable. The strap button was not well placed and the strap kept on falling off which ended in me purchasing strap locks, also there is major neck dive which I guess is standard for most SG's anyway. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would withstand live playing although I have not played bass Live yet, if I were to play it Live I would defenatly move the strap button to eliminate the neck dive, the hardware does seem it would last a good 3 years if treated with respect. The finish is thick and takes a lot of abuse from my heavy hand and is getting slightly blemished. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything based around rock on this bass and I feel that it is not a good match for the heavier/darker side of rock. I started on this bass and have been playing for one year, I feel that it is not a great starter bass and would recommend a Squier or an Ibanez to a beginner. I wish I had tried this before buying but no nearby shops stocked it so I ended up purchasing online without trying. I love the neck and the SG style but hate the neck dive as soon as you let go of it. If it were lost or stolen I would probably purchase an Ibanez GSR 200 as I feel it fits my music choice better. // 7

EB-0 Reviewed by: winterburn69, on february 26, 2008

Features: It was probably made in 2006 or 2007, I bought it December 1, 2007. Bought it new, can't remember where it was made. Short scale, '30 neck, rosewood fingerboard, SG styled body, nice cherry finish with a Black pickguard, which had a chip in it when I took it out of the box, I called to where I bought and said I could get a free replacement pickguard, which was nice, but it slipped my mind to get it when I went back there (Only go there like once a month, different cities and it's like an hour & a half away, or sometimes just under an hour). It had one huge Humbucker in the neck position, just 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob, the tuners were awesome, never had a problem staying in tune. In the box it came with an Allen wrench, for adjusting the Truss Rod, and a right angle cable, I eventually got a case for it. Overall pretty basic & simple features, but you get what you pay for. // 6

Sound: It suited my style of music just fine (Hard rock, psychedelic, blues-rock, 'classic' rock, '70s metal & thrash metal), didn't really like the sound of it though, I found it was lacking in the tone department, but whatever. This bass is definately not the sound I'm looking for. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set-up alright from the factory, the action was a bit high, but after like a day, I noticed the nut was pretty sharp and poorly made, and the tone pot fell out after like a month, (warranty covered it though). One thing I did really like, was that the jack never came loose, in the past I've had that problem, but not with this! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass could probably handle a Live setting, I never used the bass live, because I'm kinda in between bands right now, but I never had a problem with the strap buttons, the finish looked like it would last, but after what happened with the tone pot, I would say the hardware wouldn't, which is for that reason, I would gig with a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: So I've been playing bass for like 3 years now, this was my second bass, my first one was also a short scale bass. I wouldn't buy it again, overall, I didn't really like it. When I went back to where I bought it to get the tone pot fixed, I ended up trading it (and it's case and a Morley Wah) in for a used Epiphone bass, and this new one seems to be a good bass. Although since I've only played short scale ('30) basses, and this new one is not ('34) It's really weird playing something so much longer and I have to like, completely change the way I play, which is okay, because change is usually good (like changing basses), but I've only had it like 3 days so I won't do a review quite yet. // 6

EB-0 Reviewed by: fhockeygirl25, on january 06, 2011

Features: This bass is made in china and inspected and set up in the US. It's a short scale bass with a solid body and a pretty comfortable feeling fretboard.I got the cherry red finish but it also comes in an ivory color. It has one hummbucker pickup at the bass of the fretboard. If you buy the package it has an amp, a cable, headphones, and a tuner. I wouldnt' recomend buying it in a package because the amp is low qualtity. I bought the bass seperatly after falling in love at first sight with it. // 4

Sound: I play a range of music, from blues to metal, though I usually stick to rock. I find that if you have the right amp and settings on the bass, such as down tuning for metal etc., it suits all styles just fine. It may sound a little bright if you don't really play with the settings, but you can get it to a sound you'll like. I can promise that. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I was able to play right away when I bought it. The bass was in wonderful condition. I couldn't find a single flaw in it. The tuning pegs are easy to work with, even with thicker strings. I don't think I'll have to replace the hardware or get it set up any time soon. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I drop this bass alot (I'm a spas..) and it never even had a scratch on it. The strap buttons are not exactly the best so I'd recomend spending the extra bit of money on srap locks. I beleive this to be a reliable bass because of how sturdy it is, the overall quality of it and if you don't like anything about this bass, it's pretty easy and to replace yourself. // 5

Overall Impression: I really have not been playing long enough to be an expert, so I guess that'd make this a good beginers bass. I have small hands so the short scale bass works well for me. I love the look of it in general. Its a good sturdy beginers bass and a good bass in general. I would change the strap buttons. I really enjoy playing this bass because it is a nice smooth sound, its solidly built, and it just plain looks cool. // 5

EB-0 Reviewed by: JanKiba, on may 05, 2011

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: It was probably made around 2009 or 2010, but I'm not really all that sure. The main thing about this bass is that its scale is considerably smaller and therefore quite a bit easier to play. It's got a Volume and a Tone knob and a 20 fret scale, with a single pickup near the neck... // 7

Sound: Well...when it comes to sound i must say I really do enjoy it. Even if my music style is quite a bit heavier than most stuff i play with it this bass gives me a great sound, which i wasn't expecting due to the pickup being so far up in the body. On the other hand, the variety of sounds isn't very big. After all, there only is ONE pickup! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Agh. Well it came in a real mess. Every single fret had problems and it took both me and my dad a whole lot of time to solve them. Right now it's perfect with some bridge and truss rod adjustments. The pickup was probably the only thing that was perfectly placed in the whole bass... // 6

Reliability & Durability: Hmm... It might withstand live playing but if you plan on playing the f--k out of it then I guarantee you it's not going to be the best choice for it. The hardware on the other hand will last me for years, it is perfect! The strap buttons are the best I ever had, and I'm not kidding here, nothing ever fell off! // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metal stuff, Megadeth and all. I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years and bass for around 4-5 months. If this bass was stolen, well... I guess I wouldn't get it again, but that's just because I'm saving up for some other stuff, because it's a great practice bass. I wish it had a better pickup since this one is pretty crappy for being the only one installed in the whole thing, and that its placement would be better. Other than that, I have no complaints! // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014