Thunderbird Pro-V Review

reviews (3) pictures (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Thunderbird Pro-V Reviewed by: jambododger, on july 30, 2010

Price paid: £ 369.99

Purchased from: Gear4music

Features: Made in June 2009 20 frets 7-piece neck (alternating walnut/maple) Thru-neck construction Rosewood fretboard 5 String Nut Width: 1.93" Body wings: Mahogany 3 finishes available: Vintage Sunburst, Translucent Black and Natural Oil I have the Translucent Black Classic Thunderbird shape with a fully-adjustable flush-mount bridge T-PRO active humbucker pickups with an 3 EQ settings and a volume knob Pickups are set in the middle and at the bridge Non-locking premium die-cast 14:1 bass tuners Slim-taper neck profile Epi-designed straight-string pull headstock Black pickguard with classic thunderbird logo Came with a cheap cable (same ones found in local music store for 1) and an allen key // 9

Sound: I play a lot of thrash metal, a little black metal and some heavy metal. The Thunderbird suits these styles perfectly. I love the sound as you are very easily able to (due to the EQ and active pickups) create a low drone for death metal but also its surprising how easy it is to Switch to bright, poppy P-Bass sound. When it comes to jazz and funk, the old T-Bird models never stood a chance. However the new Pro series has overcome this hurdle and its not too hard to pull out a nice funky tone. In my opinion, and due to this being my bass, you will all dismiss me for being a fanboy for saying this, but I personally think that the new Epiphone Thunderbird Pro series has a superior sound to that of the Gibson Thunderbirds. I think that the Pro series is far more versatile and produces a stronger sound. However this is all opinion so if you wish, dismiss whatever I say. The T-bird only seems to get noisy if I max the settings on the amp, T-bird and my effects pedal. Overall, I think if you are looking for a great rock n' roll bass for a good price, this is where you should be looking. If you are looking for a jazzy feel or you play a lot of funk then this is not for you unfortunately. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When the T-bird arrived it was very badly set-up. I had to change the action completely. The pickups, however were set-up rather well. I have to say however the finish can very easily be damaged. When playing on stage, I may wear a spiked bracelet which has caused a few scratches on the body. Due to the awkward shape of the bass, it didn't sit steady in the stand and so has once fell to the side, hitting the wall. It wasn't a hard fall but the finish on the headstock is dented. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this live, however I would have strap locks in place as the awkward shape and the position of the strap buttons means it can easily fall. I wouldn't gig without a backup anyway but I think the T-bird is definitely strong enough and if I wasn't able to gig with a backup, the T-bird on its own would do. The finish as I previously stated, is easily damaged. // 8

Overall Impression: It's perfect for everything rock and metal. My other guitar is an Encore PK-20 which is a beginners bass and that is it. My bass amp is a Marshall MB15 which I feel doesn't show the T-bird's full power. When I was in the shop trying it out, I tried several others. None had quite the same power that is in the T-bird. I wish the finish didn't rub off so easily but I guess that happens with all guitars over time. // 10

Thunderbird Pro-V Reviewed by: cashon, on september 15, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: It was made in China, 2011 (just bought it). It has all of the mass-manufactured Epi Pro Iv specs - active electronics, 20 frets, maple/walnut/mahogany, neck thru construction, etc. It would be great to see some of these classic bass guitar styles, such as the Thunderbird, upgraded to 24 frets. Eh well. I guess it wouldn't be considered a "classic" style then. // 7

Sound: I bought this as a back up bass to my B.C. Rich models and because I wanted a different tone than what I have been playing for the past several years. I NEVER thought I would buy an Epi (was always way too embarassing to be seen with one! ) but this one raised the bar a bit because of the neck-thru construction, brass nut and upgraded electronics. It definitely has a dull sound with very little tone, which is just what I needed so it fits the side project I am doing. Nothing beats the punch and tone of my neck-thru B.C. Rich basses but I needed a bass with clean bottom end and not much else. This bass doesn't deliver any crunchy highs and the mids are very dull. I have noticed that if I play with a pick it sounds much better, though. That is frustrating because I am more of a finger player. With this bass it is pick all the time. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The out-of-the-box action was horrible but I gave it an initial set-up and even though it naturally stays a bit higher than I like, it is relatively comfortable. It's probably because I keep it in standard tuning and I am used to tuning my basses a whole step down. Overall, I can buzz around the neck just fine. The fit is a bit akward because it leans forward but you get what you pay for (it's an Epi afterall). It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with. The finish is pretty nice. I got the sunburst because all my other guitars are black and I wanted something different for a change. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live and it gets the job done if all you want is a solid bottom-end sound with very little top, punchy tone options. It is a solid-made bass and stands up to any other neck-thru constructed bass guitar. I would depend on it without a back-up, even though I bought it as a back-up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Rock, Metal, (some) Funk, Post-Punk and Country. It fits Country and Metal very well because of the dullness in tone and abundance of bottom-end. Basically, if you play music in which the bass is FELT RATHER THAN HEARD, it is perfect. It's mediocre in my overall opinion because I usually like a bass to have a lot of trebly punch that cuts through the mix. If that isn't your thing, this is a great bass given the price and construction quality! // 7

Thunderbird Pro-V Reviewed by: Frankeer, on february 14, 2012

Features: - 20 frets - 7-piece neck (alternating walnut/maple) - Thru-neck construction - Rosewood fretboard - 5 String - Nut Width: 1.93" - Body wings: Mahogany - 3 finishes available: Vintage Sunburst, Translucent Black and Natural Oil. I have the Natural Oil (it looks beautiful) - Classic Thunderbird shape with a fully-adjustable flush-mount bridge - T-PRO active humbucker pickups with an 3 EQ settings and a volume knob - Pickups are set in the middle and at the bridge - Non-locking premium die-cast 14:1 bass tuners - Slim-taper neck profile - Epi-designed straight-string pull headstock - Black pickguard with classic Thunderbird logo // 9

Sound: This bass guitar is the best for me since I play Metal/Hardcore, Jazz and Punk. You can easily change the sound by using the knobs (I have heard someone make a pretty good copy of the Rickenbacker sound on this bass guitar). It also works very well with my pedal Boss Metal-Zone. I got this bass guitar because I wanted the high C so there were some string changing but it works really well with the high C (E A D G C). It's not noisy at all, its pretty much the perfect one for me. Too bad they don't have a 6 string version (wink). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty okay. Some minor changes with the action. The pickups are well placed. The shape and the neck dive is a minor problem but easily fixed. You just put it in a case and adjust the strap buttons so the weight lays somewhere else. It might be one of those bass guitars that is not build as an tank but it will survive a fall and students playing with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I wrote before, its the perfect bass guitar for me, it works very well live. The strap buttons could have been moved a little (as I did). I would depend on it and I would not need a back up, just back up of batteries since its a active bass guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: It's perfect for the rock and and metal, also works well with jazz and funk. I have been playing for 5 years now and I own a Cort A4 and a Peavey Millennium 4. I wish it was a 6 string version as well. If it got stolen, I would go nuts and chase the person down. If not, I would get a new one. I don't like the neck dive even if that is adjustable, It just disturbs me that they didn't fix that problem. I compared it to the rest of the store because I have been going in and out and trying out different models. I also have a memory with the Thunderbird being the first bass guitar that I tried out 5 years ago and it gave me a good impression on how a bass guitar should sound like. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014