LTD B-155 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 04/16/2007 category: Bass Guitars
ESP: LTD B-155
Bolt-on Construction. Agathis w/flamed maple top Body. Maple Neck. Rosewood Fretboard. ESP SB-5 set Pickups. Volume, balance, ESP ABQ-2 active EQ. ESP DB-4 Bridge. 24 XJ Frets.
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LTD B-155 Reviewed by: Varizan, on march 16, 2004

Features: It's a 5 string 24 jumbo frets. Rosewood fretboard, Agathis wood body with a beautiful flat black finish (down fall is it pick ups a lot of dust and crap). For electronics volume, balance, ESP ABQ-2 active EQ. its a bolt on I normally dont like bolt-ons but this one is amazing one note will last for 1 min straight. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't have to do anything to this bass to love it perfect right off the shelf. The only flaw is one of the control nobs is lose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing can be kicked around night after night and be perfect the next day. Stays in tune always and sounds good. hardware is durable expept the back of the tuners fell off the g string tuner. I use a pick and my finger but more so a pick and theres no scraches yet and ive had it for 4 months. Strap pins are solid I use kepur straps so I dont use strap locks and nothings come loose or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: It's good for any type of metal and maybe some bules and funk if you're good at setting an amp. // 10

LTD B-155 Reviewed by: Lilldjuret, on april 16, 2007

Features: I bought this bass in 2005, and it was made in Indonesia. It has 24 Jumbo Frets and the neck is made out of rosewood. The body is made from agathis and has an amber finish. The neck is bolt-on. It has two active ESP humbuckers, or rather, passive pickups with an active preamp. It has standard dots inlays with a "B-155" inlay at 12th fret. The controls are volume/tone/bass/treble. // 8

Sound: I play almost everything, but mainly metal and jazz. This bass suits the styles pretty good. The bass mostly aimed towards metal, but it has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. The bass can easily go from warm, jazzy sound to some sharper punkier sounds and is very versatile. I'm using it with a Behringer BX600, and the amp isn't the best one by any means. The only grudge I carry is that the tone isn't too rich on anything. It's not particulary bassy or trebly, nor does it pack any mids. This is probably due to the agathis body, which is known for. Well, the lack of any tone at all. The bass does what it should sound wise, but not more or less. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass had been inspected in the US. It was set-up pretty good. I could play it right out of the box. Everything was adjusted like it should. The only minor modification I did was to lower the action a bit. The bass didn't contain any flaw whatsoever. However, after three months, the bridge started rattling. The screws which are used for adjusting the action had somehow started to loosen, which caused a lot of noice while playing. Also, one of the strap buttons were bery loose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played Live with it lots of times, and I have never felt a need to bring a backup. Until now, but more about that later on. The hardware seems ok, nothing special. Might last some time, but again, with proper abuse. One of the strapbuttons tends to rattle while playing, which is annoying. I have got this serviced once, during warranty period, as the bass just died. At first, I thought it was the battery. After changing this, the problem still remained. Oxide? Maybe. I tried turning the volume control. And there we had it. The good ol' noise of the oxide in the pots. Soon, there was no sound coming from the bass at all. After proper maintanence of the pots, I tried it. No change. Actually, it was the preamp that had died without reason. I got a new preamp installed however. This brings a big minus to the reliability. // 6

Overall Impression: This bass matches my playing pretty good. I've been playing for three years and I own a few guitars, another bass and two amps, aswell as a few pedals. I wish I had checked what wood it was made of before buying it. If I would somehow "loose" this bass, I'd buy myself something different. Without doubt. I love how this bass feels however. Really nice neck and low action. I only wish it had better tonewood and/or better pickups. I might equip it with better pups later on, but probably not. I will probably buy some other bass. // 7

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014