LTD B-206SM Review

9.1
 8.8
reviews (2) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
LTD B-206SM Reviewed by: 6stringbassist, on november 20, 2009

Features: Year: 2009 Made in Indonisia. 24 XJumbo frets on a 35" Rosewood fretboard with abalone inlays Spalted Maple top, on an Ash body with a Bolt on Maple-Walnut neck Natural satin top Strat style body Just a regular bass bridge set up. Active electronics Volume Tone and an ESP 3 band EQ (Bass, Mids, Treble) 2 ESP-LTD Active six string Pickups ESP-LTD Black Chrome tuners, non locking. No extras included. // 9

Sound: This bass performs wonderfully. I play Hardcore Progressive Death Metal with it, and it pumps out an awesomely full powerful sound. I'm running through a Behringer BRX1800H 180 Watt head [clean channel] and an Acoustic B115 cabinet. I only put it through a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal. It does have the natural six string ring to it, but with my NS-2 that's eliminated. I run it full volume, medium balance, full bass and treble boost, and no change to the mids. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up perfectly from factory settings, I just had to tune it, and I hardly had to do that. Everything was in tip top shape when I received it in the mail. I've never had to adjust anything on this bass. Even the strings were great! I have yet to change the strings on it, and I've had it since August. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Mine has held up to rough practices 3 or 4 times a week and several shows. The hardware hasn't given me any trouble. I did replace the strap buttons with some Schraller Strap Locks. I use it on every gig without a back up. It's completely solid. I can't complain about the finish. It's got a strong coat, and I doubt I'll have to replace it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar is certainly up for the challenge. It's got a smooth easy to play fretboard and it's super easy to travel across the neck. I've played bass for 4 years, and I own one other bass myself, and have been playing a friends. My other bass is a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special bass, and my friends is a Warwick $$ Corvette 5 string. I bought this bass without ever playing it and to be honest I've never been happier on a bass. I've played it back to back with several guitars costing double or triple the price and they just don't compare to this one. I would most certainly buy another one of these wonderful ESP's. I might buy another one of the exact same just in case something happens to this one. I don't hate anything about this guitar, although it is quite weighty. It's taken some getting used to considering it weighs around 16-20 lbs depending on if your carrying it in a hardcase. I love the EQ on this. I'm a tone freak and I love the extra ability to customize my sound. I compared it to a Schecter Stiletto Custom 6 string, and liked the sound and feel of this bass better. It's got everything I need on it. // 10

LTD B-206SM Reviewed by: II kyo II, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

Features: Guitar Center and every other retailer has the SPECS wrong. I contacted ESP to get the right specs. And here they are. - Bolt-On Construction - 34" Scale (not 35") - Ash Body - Spalted Maple Top - 5 Pc Maple/Rosewood Neck (not Maple/Walnut) - Rosewood Fingerboard - 54mm Standard Nut - Thin U Neck Contour - 24 XJ Frets - Black Nickel Hardware - ESP Tuners - ESP DB-6 Bridge - ESP SB-6 (B & N) p.u. - ESP ABQ-3 3-Band Active EQ - Finish: NS (Natural Satin) - Bass Boost/Cut - Volume - Mid Boost/Cut - Treble Boost/Cut - Balance - Bass came with S.I.T. Strings gift code. - Tuned Nickle strings (poor quality) - 2 adjustment renches (one for the neck, the other for the bridge) // 7

Sound: I play alot of prog. Jazz, classical, punk, a bit of everything (Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Saxon, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Elton John, Iron Maiden, Rush, blah blah blah you name it). I'm Playing a Fender Bassman 2x10. The bass only hums if you have Sh***** cables with a rich sound. I can get JUST ABOUT any tone out of this bass, and tweek the rest with my amp. The EMG's in this bass are ESP quality with a different name. So nothing special. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was right on 9when using long scale DR strings) if you use Slinkys or any other string you may want to lower the action a tenth of an inch. The stock strings make the bass far to quite. Replace those with nickle plated. Or stainless steel strings and your ready for some real tone. The control nobs are very nice. With a grove at 12o clock or -0+, with resistance so you can get JUST the tone you want, without fear of slipping. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play 2 45min - 2Hour shows a week, 6-8 hour rehearsals 3 days a week. With 6+ hours of personal practice a day and this bass can definitely handle anything you toss at it. No back up needed. If you play has hard as me, keep a spare of strings around. // 10

Overall Impression: For prog, jazz, or anything BUT funk (for those who Slap-Bass) the strings are way to close for slapping, if you can put up with it. You can get a great tone. This bass will be perfect for just about anyone who wants a bolt on 6er on a budget. With the same ratings in all departments the ESP LTD D-6 is the same bass as this. With different wood, a bit heavier and a neck-thru construction. Other than that it sounds the same. And plays the same. REMEMBER THE BASS IS A MAPLE ROSEWOOD NECK! and a 34" scale. I love that the bass is 11.5 pounds (D-6 is 23.5 pounds). All that I would add to this bass to keep it forever is the walnut in the neck. 35" scale, coil taping. Bartilini pups, and body thru stringing. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014