LTD B-55 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 06/25/2012 category: Bass Guitars
ESP: LTD B-55
If you've been waiting for the right time to give the 5-string a try - here's your chance. Now you can add the expanded range and massive low-end of that low B to your arsenal at an incredibly affordable price. Leave it to ESP to deliver high quality at such an affordable price.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
reviews (4) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
LTD B-55 Reviewed by: Sam ESP LTD, on may 06, 2008

Features: Unsure of where or when this model was made. Maple neck/Rosewood fingerboard. Bolt on construction. 24 XJ frets. Thin you neck contour. Dot inlays, B-55 inlayed on 12th fret. 5 string. Basswood body, 2 body cutaways. Laquered black finish. ESP DB-5 adjustable bridge.ESP LDJ/LDP pickup set. ESP ATB-1 Active Tone Boost electronics. 2 volume/1 tone controls. Chrome hardware. ESP tuners. // 7

Sound: I've played it with a wide range of styles of music and effects and it seems to produce a fairly decent sound for most genres and clearly produce effects such as flange, wah, delay and reverb. It gives a great low ended bassey sound and with adustments to your amp settings it can offer nice clear or plucky high tones. The noise is fairly controlled as long as you have a correct level of treble bass and mid settings on your amp it should sound great even on the highest volume. I use it through a Roland cube-100 so I'm unsure how it will sound in a lower quility amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I recieved it with no problems, the action was perfect, the pickup and electronic cavity's were very neat and accurate. As was the neck slot. Overall it was extremly well fit, the one concern was that the upper strap button became loose and needed tightening, as did the volume control, but this was after a year of use. The finish was perfect and is a nice shiney clear black. It is a fairly heavy bass even for a 5 string, I think it could do with a few more trims and cutaways. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have now owned mine for just under 2 years, there hasn't been a single problem in hardware during practices or gigs. Although if I hadnt noticed the strap button was loose I'm sure it would eventualy have come out. I find this bass to be completly dependable. The finish seems it will last although if hits somthing hard, the paint will chip. // 9

Overall Impression: I have based my ratings on the quility for the price payed. But my review may not be too great seen as I've only played a few other basses and this was my first owned. It will produce a great sound for any genre and style, just toggle with amplifier settings. there's nothing I hate about it, I just love the quility it offers as the cheapest and lowest range ESP 5 string. It's a great choice if you want a cheap 5 string. If it was lost or stolen I woudln't buy the same model, but only because I feel I want to move up to more expensive and higher quility basses, but it has made me want to buy another ESP. // 8

LTD B-55 Reviewed by: thesickness09, on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: mine is a 2007 model with 24 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard over a maple neck. I got the silver finish(I was sick of my other black bass). It's an agathis body with passive electronics, 2 volume and one tone nob. it also can with a classic P/J pickup configuration. one comment I hear about the neck from some that have played this is that is really big and I have to disagree for me the neck is a very nice fit in my hand and is very comfortable this my be due to that fact that my hands a little large but that's besides the point. I give the features a nine because it may not have a numerous amount of extra fancy features but I don't want a whole bunch of nobs covering my bass if I don't even know what there used for. Also this bass has really good features for a bass that costs so little. // 9

Sound: I play many styles mainly metal. I play this bass through a little bit of compresion and a Peavey amp and this thing roocks. It can go from just full out metal to funk with just some nob adjustments. slap on some dadarrios and get ready to rock because this bass can deliver those thuderous lows with that b string. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came out of the box ready to rock. after owning the bass for a few weeks I decided to raise the pickups up closer to the low strings because while the pickups came setup great I needed my lows to be a little more powerful so I raised it up to get some more low end punch. The silver finish was great. As I said before I got the silver finish because my old bass was black and while black is still a good finish for any guitar for me I needed something diffrent so I decided to get silver. The finish is also very durable. It's been smacked into doors once or twice and the finsh hasent even shown a mark. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Durability shouldn't even be questioned. ESP is a company that you know your getting a durable instrument and my owning of this bass is a testament to that. This bass has been smacked into thisngs droped and every time that happens it continues to work unphased by what just happened. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing bass for almost two years so I'm not a total illiterate at bass and overall I can tell you tha this thing owns. One thing I could have wished for is that it would have come with better pickups but then agai what were you expecting froma $220 bass? // 9

LTD B-55 Reviewed by: execution_666, on june 03, 2008

Features: It didn't come with anything. It didn't really need anything. It was fine just as it was. It has 24 frets. Agathis body, making this baby Shine. It's got a 34 in scale maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Dot inlays with the model name on the 12th fret. 2 volume 1 tone knob. ESP LDJ/LDP set pickups. // 10

Sound: This bass screams metal. I needed a 5 string for low tunings (as far as drop A). I'm running it through a very "crappy" amp (Ibanez BT-10) and it still manages to give me an awesome sound overall with low ends. Noise (even with my amp) is at a minimum making this bass almost silent (when idle). Tweaking the amp and knobs the range of sound that this bass can give you is pretty wide. To top it off for the perfect sound (for me), I slapped on Ernie Ball Bass 5 Slinkies (45-130). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, I didn't notice any flaws. The pickups were adjusted perfectly. The actions was great right out of the box. All I had to do was tune it and it was a dream. The bridge is perfect, making string changes easy. The looks aren't half bad as far as hardware. The finish does, however, leave fingerprints, but this can be fixed by simply cleaning it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very durable. I've dropped it a few times and not a scratch. It's perfect for Live playing, though I wouldn't go on stage without a back up in case of string snapping. Other than that, this will be the only bass you'll use all night. The hardware looks good enough to depend on for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal (thrash, death). And this bass serves that fact well both with sound and looks. If it were stolen, I'd do my best to break the theif's face and if it were lost, I'd have to buy another one. I love the sleek black Shine it gives off. With 24 frets, sleek looks, low "B" string, and the reliability ESP; this bass is perfect. // 10

LTD B-55 Reviewed by: BrutalESPBasist, on june 25, 2012

Purchased from: GUITAR CENTER

Features: I've got smaller hands so playing a 5 string for years I have always played Ibanez for the skinnier neck but this esp is the same way. A big plus for me. Its like I'm playing a seven string guitar. Like buttah! I love the passive pickups and the way you can sound thinner or more ballsy just by picking it within 2 or 3 inches, came with the allen wrenches but I already had a $150 hardshell bass case and it fit perfectly inside. Very ecstatic about the bass! // 10

Sound: This bass sounded great right out of the box other than tuning it up. The factory just had it tuned at ADGDG which was cool since I tuned it right up to standard and sounded great. Nice low end, great mids without sounding too middy (sp?) and the tone is right on the money and very presise with whatever I do on it. You can here every little pick tap when I hit the string. I play hardcore so I wanted a bass with good sustain, lots of bottom yet very punchy and this bass delivered. I was playing a $549 Ibanez 505 5 string with Bartolini MK1 pickups and I like this bass sound better than that one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Killer black paintjob like a mirror, chrome hardware sets off the black great, factory setup was dead on for my style, adjusted pickups in like 60 seconds, every nut and bolt were tight and it came out perfect. All I did was change the battery because it had a generic one I haven't ever heard of before but that was nothing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played out yet with it but seems durable, hardware seems secure and tight, strap buttons solid, this is my primary bass now and see no need for a backup, never used a backup at any of my hundreds of gigs, never needed one. Finish seems fine for now but time will tell. // 10

Overall Impression: Play hardcore metal, good match for me, playing 22 years, I play through a 1000watt Carvin RL1000 bass head, 800w 4x10 carvin cab, and a 600w 15" Carvin cab ran full range bridged. This stack is a f--king monster! Would definitely buy another if stolen but that wont happen! Love everything about it, hate nothing, love the black and chrome and sharp looking headstock with ltd on it, the only thing I might ever change is change the chrome hardware to all black hardware but that would be way down the road. Overall a kicka-s bass, for the price or not, just a kicka-s bass, very happy! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014