LTD F-155DX Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/18/2009 category: Bass Guitars
ESP: LTD F-155DX
It was made in Indonesia in 2009. It's a 5-string and has 24 XJ frets and is in 35" scale.
 8.3
 8.8
 7.8
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
LTD F-155DX Reviewed by: henrihell, on november 18, 2009

Price paid: € 448

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: It was made in Indonesia in 2009 and I have had it for two months now. It's a 5-string and has 24 XJ frets and is in 35" scale. It has a basswood body, flamed maple top, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The finish is DSTP, I think it meens Dark Striped Purple, but I'm not sure about that. The shape is ESP F-series and it's heavily beveled so which makes it really comfortable to play. It has an ESP BB605 bridge, which means you can change between string-thru or the 'normal' way of bridge. It has active electronics with 5 controls; bass, mid, treble, balance (between bridge and neck pickups) and a master volume control. It has two ESP humbuckers. The tuners are nonlocking ESP. The only included accesories was a set of tools. // 10

Sound: I mostly play metal and hard-rock and things like that and it sounds very well for that kind of music. My bass teacher always likes to teach me jazz and stuff and I think it sounds pretty well for that too, but I'm not so into that kind of music that I can say exactly how good it sounds for that. I use it with a Warwick Take 12 amp, a DigiTech Bass Driver stompbox and a DigiTech BP200 Multi effect and it fits good with this equipment (even if it would be better with a specific active input). And in the school we have Hartke 2500 and it sounds really good through them. It is not noisy or anything like that and it has a kinda rich sound that's deep and dark. I'd like if it had a little bit more treble in the sound but not much. It doesn't suit very well for slapping so that's a point off because I would really like to play also that kind of things with it. It sounds well for harmonics also, but I don't like the sound of when you slide because it makes some extra noise everytime you pass a fret. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was in great condition when I got it. It was really well packed and hadn't got any damage during the transport. The pickups were correctly adjusted and everything was fine. It was slightly out of tune, but not much and that was really good 'cause both my tuner and amp was at school 450 kilometres away. The only thing I have to complain about was that 3 of the 5 knobs were loose. One of them vibrates so it sounds like the sound is distorted while not playing through an amp, one is just loose and one of them actually fell off after 2 months. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this bass would easily withstand Live playing, and the hardware seems like it would last forever. The strap buttons are solid, even if my strap wasn't very good when i bought the bass. But with my new strap it stays in place. I would use it on a gig without backup, no problem. The finnish will stay for a long time. It hasn't even got any scrapes from all of my key chains and things hanging in my belt. // 10

Overall Impression: It is really good for metal, hard rock and blues, I think the sound is kind of too deep for jazz and that kind of things. But for what music I play it's perfect. I've been playing for two years and it's my second bass. My first one was a Yamaha RBX170 which is total crap. Other equipment I have my amp and effects. I knew everything I needed about it when I bought it. If it was stolen I would definitely buy a new one, even if I would like to try other basses too. The things I like about it is that it's really comfortable to play and it suits well with my effects and all the stuff I'm using. And the color is really beutiful. And I also like that it has 24 frets and 5 strings cause I like to have lots of different notes and sounds. I would never buy a fourstring after this. The only thing I don't like is that it's a bit too heavy. I was also thinking of buying a 5-string B\.C\. Rich Warlock, but I picked this one because it was a lot cheaper and I wouldn't have had enough money for my studies with the warlock. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014