LTD F-254 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/08/2007 category: Bass Guitars
ESP: LTD F-254
Its radical body angles and deep cutaway provide the look and playability of a truly extreme instrument. Features include an upgraded 5-piece maple/walnut neck, an agathis body, 24-fret rosewood fingerboard, double-action truss rod, and a deluxe string-thru body bridge.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.3
 8.7
 7.9
reviews (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
LTD F-254 Reviewed by: treebranch13, on october 23, 2006

Features: This is part of the LTD series which is made in a factory in Indonesia. It has a 35" scale, 24 big frets. The fretboard is made of rosewood, the neck is a 5 piece maple and walnut neck-thru, and the body is agathis. It has a black finish, grover tuners, the basic ESP bass bridge, and EMG-HZ passive pickups coupled with EMG BQS active electronics (3 EQ, blend, volume). It contains everything a high end bass does, except for active pickups, but that is a matter of prefference. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of blues, rock (heavy, modern, classic, ect), metal, punk, and some reggae. It can make any sound and match any style I want with the turn of a few knobs. The EQ and Blend give you enough control to go from smooth, resonant blues to bright, poppy slaping solos. it's sound is warm all around and has clarity in the mids and highs. It sustains as long as my friends PRS guitar (which cost $2500). For a "economy" guitar the sound is impecable, thanks to the EQ and Blend, you can get the style you want and it is wired well, keeping the background noise to a zero. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was setup perfectly, straight out of the store, the pickups are at the correct height, the bridge's intonation was perfect, there were no flaws, it looked like it had been cleaned, it was even tuned and the I am still using the factory strings 2 months later. Later, I found out that one of the pots was installed at an angle, but it was not enough to cause any problems (that is why I give it a 9) but besides tha it was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Many people first worry about the strap buttons on any guitar, but these seem to be great. The first gig I am going to use it in is next week, but in practice I have jumped, spun, and swung it around and the buttons hold perfectly. The only thing that is weak on this guitar is the body, since it is agathis(which is a soft wood) it dents quite easily, but as long as you don't run it into anything everything else will hold up fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, if anything happend to it I would go out and get it again. I went to 10 different guitar store and tryed out Fenders, G&Ls, Ibanez, Schecter, and many others, when I finally settled for this one. Although it looks like it is made for metal it can play anything. I love the sound and the control I get from the pickups and electronics. I also love the fact that this is the only guitar out that looks like this. ESP is a company known for quality and this bass is no exception. // 9

LTD F-254 Reviewed by: corrda00, on november 08, 2007

Features: It had some nice features. It had 24 X-Jumbo frets with a rosewood fretboard and Dot inlays with product name at the 12th. It is 5-piece mahogany with neck through body construction. It has red transparent finish with the grains showing, it also comes in titanium and black. The bridge like everything else is unique. It has the stings connect to the bridge and do not tighten or anything. It has active pick ups with 3-way EQ (treble, mid, bass) volume and balance, a total of 5 controls. The pickups are EPQ or something like that. there are 2 one bridge and one neck. It has non locking, nickel tuners. It comes with Alan keys and a 2007 ESP catalog. // 10

Sound: It fits my music style of metal, funk and jazz.It fits to anything with the balance and EQ. I can't quite get it to get that upright bass sound though. I'm getting dist. soon, I tried it at the store and it was crazy. My amp is a crappy starter, doens't go good with such a good bass. I use the controls to create a brighter crisper sound, trying to recreate a Steve Harris/Geddy Lee type of sound. However I can get the fuller sound for stuff like Miles Davis' So What. The pinch harmonics don't sound quite enough, but they should sound with dist. It has lots of variety in sound. It suites any genre (the shape and look is another issue). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was Pretty well set to go. The A and D strings were flat, but what do you expect. The pick ups were perfect for slap and pop, great on that note. I personally found I had to adjust the bridge to get better sound. The Bass didn't have any visible flaws. But I don't know much bout' maintenance ect. so I might of missed a bit. After a few days I noticed scratches but I don't if I caused them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it can withstand a fair amount. The hardware seems invincible, I have little to No Doubt there. The strap buttons hold nice, it's almost hard to get a strap off. I would have a backup at a gig because of active pickups, and you can't trust batteries sometimes. Other than that I have No Doubt about it breaking or jamming up on me. I have to polish the finish a lot since it is so glassy. Specially since the back of the neck is finished. The tuning pegs and bridge also show fingerprints well. The finish also scratches easy, since there is no pick gaurd. // 7

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, and what else is ESP made for. This is accualy the same model Hennka Blacksmith of Children Of Bodom uses. I've been playing guitar for 2 years and bass for 1, I also own a crap Simon starter bass(a Fender Precision rip-off). I don't have no regrets with this bass. I don't think I would of asked anything. If it was lost, which I take such care it will never be lost. I would go out and buy the same thing, only 5-string. Love the look, Hate how it smudge, I like the 24 frets. I compared It to A ESP AX some other sick bass with solid steel pick-guard and a SG bass. I think it was still the best. I wish it had 5 string yet I can't say, since I like 4-string too. I think I'd get one of each, maybe the 5-string blk. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014