American Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/06/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: American Precision Bass
Vintage body radius and contour, premium ash or alder body, rosewood fingerboard, classic split-coil P-Bass pickup. The neck is graphite-reinforced maple with rolled edges.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 9.2
 8.3
reviews (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
American Precision Bass Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 17, 2003

Features: 2001 American Standard P-Bass, black with rosewood fretboard. Same as all the other ones since 1950-whatever. Does have the strings through the body mind you, unlike most of its predecessors-this was a big selling point for me, as it distinguishes it from its lesser mexican made bretheren. // 10

Sound: I was looking for that classic, P-Bass sound, and I got it... I'd fallen in love with Music Man Stingray basses in my youth, and had persisted playing rock with one for 10 years until I finally broke down recognizing that it wasn't ideally suited for what I was doing. The P-Bass is perfect for hard rock. Really, you don't need any more. It fills out the bottom, and with new strings through my vintage Ampeg V-4B, it gets that awesome, almost piano-like attack. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was set too high as standard, but with supplied truss rod tool, was easily rectified. Finish was really nice until I ruined it by wiping it with a brillo pad-yeah, I know, I'm a freakin' moron. Oh well, you learn. The rosewood fretboard is beautiful, and the neck is SOOO fast after my Music Man, which has a massive neck. I can't say enough about the neck. It really feels nice. It's nice and thin without being flimsy, thanks to the graphite reinforcement. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yesterday at a drunken open-air show, my guitarist fell on me and the P-Bass which bent the cord in the jack.. if this had happened with any other bass I've ever owned, the jack connection and pickguard would have snapped. I couldn't believe that the 3/4 inch jack had bent, but the bass was fine. I believe that if there were a nuclear holocaust, the only things that would survive would be cockroaches and Fender P-basses. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it to death... I wish I hadn't so bone-headedly ruined the finish, but these things happen. I really can't play it enough. I bought it about 7 months ago now, and I still trot it around the house with me, just noodling on it at every opportunity. It makes me want to upgrade the rest of my gear to really do it justice... I lie awake at night dreaming of SVT heads. I held out for the longest time against breaking down and finally buying a P, believing them to be just too common and generic, but you know, when something is as common and popular as a P-Bass, you have to know that there's something to it. I haven't ever regretted buying this bass for a second, and I will probably own it forever. This is value for money. // 10

American Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2004

Features: The American Deluxe P Bass offers tons of tonal variations. The three-band active EQ, combined with a vintage P Bass pickup and special design humbucking pickup, make this a bass that can cut any gig. It also has new, deluxe light weight tuners with a lower gear ratio for precise tuning and a smooth feel. Available with a maple or rosewood fingerboard, and as a five string. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There's no comment about this bass. The new American Deluxe P-Basses didn't have flaws, as the fret and the nut have been slightly rounded and the new Lite-Bass tuners had a positive feel with great gear ratio and vintage cloverleaf key for precise tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No comment. The strap lock buttons looked solid and the Montego Black finish seems good enough to last. // 10

Overall Impression: Whether you find a '57 or 59 Vintage re-issue, you'll noticed the major differences between the two Vintage Precisions and the new American Deluxe model. First, both the American Vintage 57 and 59 P-Basses feature the same gold anodized pickguard and a 20-fret maple neck, although the Montego Black is a rare custom finish primarily offered on the budget-priced Squier versions in the early '80s. I think that the Montego Black American Deluxe P-Bass with the gold anodized guard and the all-maple neck looks much like a '57 Vintage reissue model with American Deluxe specifications (J-Bass humbucker in the bridge, 3-band EQ, 22 frets, abalone dots and 5-bolt neckplate), while the rosewood-neck version looked more like a '59 model! // 10

American Precision Bass Reviewed by: mets50504, on october 21, 2010

Purchased from: Fender

Features: Mine came with a Deluxe Fender Gig Bag. Can't really go wrong with that. // 10

Sound: This bass suits my punk rock and style perfectly. That is why I chose the Precision Bass over the Jazz Bass. It gives more of a punchier tone to my music. The J-bass is really for smoother music. The amp I use is the Fender Rumble 15. This is a very small amp, but I'll do a separate review on that. It's a great little practice amp for me as a beginner bassist. The noise-level is just about how loud you turn it up. But my parents say its too loud. Parents will be parents. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass guitar was set up beautifully straight from the factory. The only thing that was bad was the action. I think they might have put it a little too low. But probably because I told them over the phone when I ordered the bass that I was a complete starter. Low-action = Beginners, I guess? But that is an easy adjustment. Pickups were attached fine. I really don't see how one could go wrong with an American Standard Bass. No scratches or anything. Lucky for me, since they shipped it from wherever the factory is to Newy York. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? Oh yeah, this definetly can. I already played with it for 4 (really small) shows. It worked great. As long as you don't intend to damage it, it will not let you down. But I would never perform any sort of big show without a backup. That is where my Dean Edge 04 comes in. Though I have not had a big show yet. Hardware? Well, I actually have a fear of opening up my bass and messing it up from the inside. So I would not know this. But I assume so. The only thing is, the fret wires seem to be wearing out a bit from slapping and popping (but I've had this bass for almost 4 1/2 years now, so that would be expected). // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk rock, alternative, some metal, and grunge especially. This was just a perfect match for me. When I am older and get out of high school, hopefully I can afford a Music Man bass. I have been playing for about 4 1/2 years from right now. I really don't have alot of gear. Two basses and I bought an Acoustic guitar a few weeks ago. I wish I asked how to hold a pick, because I still have trouble with that. I would buy this bass again for sure. But it is like a son to me, so I would never stand for it to be stolen. I really like the maple neck and the width of the P-bass. It just feels so perfect sliding around in my hands. I picked this over the J-Bass because the Jazz bass just didn't sound right to me when I was trying all these basses out at Guitar Center (pretending I would actually buy it from them LoL). I wish it had a J-bass single coil pickup added on. Like the Duff McKagan Signature bass. Maybe I can customize that on somehow. But it will give me a wider range of tones, and make me a better bassist. // 10

American Precision Bass Reviewed by: OldSKull75, on january 06, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar store

Features: 1998, USA Fender P Bass. White with a black pick Guard, came with nice Hardshell case. Fender threw in some sheap accessories.String thru Body. My ffavorite Bass Guitar of all Time. Been playing for over 20 years and owned Alot of Basses. This is my personal Favorite. Very Reliable, Very Durable. Comfortable to play and set up great right out of the Box. // 10

Sound: I used this in my Hardcore Punk Bands since 1998.Its my main Bass and the Only one I grab for when playing a show. Its not a Jazz Bass and Not a Rickenbacker, You can get alot of great tones out of it but for me its used for Punk, Oi, and some old school indie. Its Really Beat up now and the white paint has turned a yellow cream color with lots of dings and nicks. The sounds is thick and full, I play thru a Boss Bass pedal into a Ampeg Solid State Amp. Its Quit with no fret noise and carries amazing sustain and low end crunchy bass. Capable of brigt sounds too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is low and fast right out of the box. Had this for over 12 years and only had to adjust the truss rod a few times. Stays in Tune from Gig to Gig! Literally I can Tune it and forget about it for weeks, It will stay in tune for a few practices or Gigs in a Row. The Tuning Pegs are good, saddles are good, Pups are good, controls are good but they have had to be tightened a few times. I literally have Beaten this thing to death playing out ovetr the years and it still plays like new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Bass will survive a nuclear Bomb Blast. Had it over 12 years and it still has all its original equipment. The only thing I added was the Strap Locks. I litterally Beat this thing to death over the years. I've used this to play in my Fast Agressive Hardcore Punk bands over the years. No need for a back up with this. // 10

Overall Impression: Great Bass Guitar. Simple and built like a German Panzer tank. It sounds good and and plays good. Hardware is good quality and will last forever. Comes with a nice case. I've had things thrown at it while playing, Dropped it while playing, and have people pull me into the pit with it. This Bass has Held up amazingly over the years. Infact I plan to retire it soon because It has so much sentimental valuse now. If Someone stole this I'd hunt them down. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014