Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Review

9.7
 8.2
reviews (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Reviewed by: VoicelessScream, on september 18, 2006

Features: The Deluxe Active Jazz Bass guitar was designed with the gigging bass player in mind. This alder-body bass offers classic styling and modern features such as a comfortable C-shaped maple neck, four-ply brown shell pickguard on a variety of finishes (see specifications), two dual-coil ceramic Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups with nickel-plated pole pieces, and a three-band active EQ with treble, mid and bass boost/cut. Distinctively attractive looking with a clear, thunderous sound. // 9

Sound: The bass has a nice well balanced sound and seems to fit all styles of music. It so far has had no buzzing sounds and can easy switch between bright and dark tones. This so far is the best sounding bass I have. With the active controls, it is easy to swath between different sounds and tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar is amazing. Same with the pick ups. This guitar was a back up show case guitar, so it was played that much before I bought it. The guitar is properly put together; I haven't had to re-router it yet. I haven't noticed any flaws yet, but I may later. The finish on the bass is also very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very reliable. I have only had it for a couple months, and it still plays just as it did when I first bought. It seems like it will last for a long time. The neck is really solid too. I accidentally bumped it against the door, and it didn't dent it, unlike my old bass. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price I paid for this bass, I scored one hell of a deal. This bass is amazing and I probably won't buy another one for a couple of years. This is a great bass for moderate players Who are looking for their second or third bass. I wish that guitar center would advertise this bass more; I only found this one because the guy thought it was the best one in my price range. I guess I lucked out. // 10

Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Reviewed by: PRSfanatic, on may 24, 2010

Purchased from: Used

Features: 2009 Made in Mexico, 20 Frets, standard 34' scale, Medium Jumbo Frets, Thin Jazz Bass Neck, very comfortable and looks gorgeous with the "skunk stripe", smooth finish. Alder Body, Nice glossy finish, Maple "C" profile Neck, Rosewood fingerboard. Solid Top. Fender Standard Bridge. Active Fender Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups, JJ config. Standard Fender Jazz Bass tuners, very comfortable. 4 Control knobs, one's a double: Bass Cut/boost, Treble Cut/boost, Mid cut/boost, Pickup blend and Master Volume. Side input. Normally when you buy it, it comes with a gigbag, and the normal things you'd expect from a new fender, but I bought mine used and it came with a case, straplocks, cable and good strong leather strap, though that doesn't matter to any future buyers. // 10

Sound: Fender have done an Excellent job making this bass. The sounds are amazing, and It will fit any Genre you could want. I have managed to get a P-Bass "Growl" out of this, but also some great funk slap tones, and really good basic blues bass sounds. I can safely say this bass will suit Anything, where the bass is heard (So do not buy this bass for death metal or hardcore punk, It's not made for it.) I sold my amp to get this beauty, so I use it through a Line6 Tone Port, and even on that thing it sounds great. In my local music store I've played through Gallien Krueger 400 and 700 RB IV's and a few ampegs. I will definitely get the GK 400RB for it, and I recommend this bass to any GK user. Sounds great with other amps too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used, but it was brand new and the owner didn't even play it yet. Unwanted contest prize. The action was just about right, BUT the A string had this "muffled" sound on the first 3 frets, and there was some very minimal fret buzz, which took little to none adjusting. The pickups were excellent from the start, everything was factory set up nicely. Everything is great on it, absolutely no flaws what'soever. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is definitely a player's bass. If I had a band, this would be my one and only main gigging bass, and will be for a long time. The hardware, like I've said before, Is meant to last, and will do so for ages. I really like the tuning keys, they're very comfortable to tune with, as my other guitars have the smaller ones, and they're a real pain to tune, while these are big enough so that you don't ever have any problems with them. I have no idea about the factory strap buttons, mine came with installed straplocks. The finish is just beautiful. Mine is black, with a tortoise shell pickguard. It looks incredibly beautiful. I highly recommend it! There aren't enough kind words I could say at the people building Fender guitars in Mexico... If american made fenders are supposed to better than this, then they better play themselves, because otherwise, I'd say it's impossible to be better. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many different styles, but it's mostly Blues, hard rock, and some older metal. All the music I play is by bands that were formed before 1990. It is just perfect. I've been playing bass and guitar for almost 6 years now. My other basses are a Yamaha RBX374 (recommended for beginners!) And an Epiphone embassy V standard (good, cheap 5-er, needed it to play some heavier tunes.) If it were stolen, I'd cry for months until I could get a new one (This exact model), since I'm just a poor teenager, and getting another would not be easy (been working for a LONG time for this). I love everything about it. I have to say my favorite features are the excellent pickups and tuning keys. And the awesome Fender shape, the jazz body, and the neck. You just can't beat that feeling of holding a real, true, original Fender jazz bass, like so many other great players. Compared to my other basses, this wins over them a million times. Yes, the RBX374 might be a good instrument, but it won't be getting any attention at all after I got this jazz bass. This bass is one giant WIN. Get it while you can, I know I will get the P-Bass version as soon as I can, the MIM deluxe active series is serious buisiness. // 10

Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Jtabass, on january 05, 2008

Features: This beast is the ultra in slap bass manufacturing. It is a USA Fender Jazz Deluxe ported over to WA. It's tortoise shell red flecked scratchboard with white finish makes it look irresistable. It's got a wood finish neck with pearl coloured frets. It's as light as a feather meaning you can jumpa round like an idiot on satge without even straining. With 22 frets you are able to reach the highest notes with no propblem. With a tuner knob that switches between the front and back pickups (Dual-Coil Ceramic Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups with Nickel Plated Pole Pieces) it is the ultimate in noise fitting madness. // 10

Sound: It is a slappers dream. The Jazz pickups are made for the popping and slappign that you all love to do but, with an adjustable knob that switches in between bridge and back pickups you are able slap and pop will having it on the bridge setting while finger style and pick switching it to the back. The finger style settings make it sound cool and mellow while the slap settings give you that all round pop and slap funkness you've alwasy dreamed of. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is unbelievable. A creamy white colour that sparkles silver when you look at it close enough and a red tortoiseshell scratchplate, no wonder this beast sells out so fast. It is also light as a feather while having a well re-inforced neck and tough as nuts body to stop those immanant crackings you always dread. // 10

Reliability & Durability: While this beast is amazing the only problem you might have is the factory strings that come with it. They may easily break and snap if popped too hard but can easily be replaced by new ones. Once the new ones are installed it sounds even better, my tip, replace the strings as soon as you get them. It is a very dependable bass never failing or faulting and always gig ready. // 9

Overall Impression: This is ideal for slapping and popping maniacs, with funk, groove, punk and rock setting. No wonder flea uses one of these babies because it is perfect for the music he plays. If you are into Red Hot Chili Peppers or idolise flea and funk gods, then this is the bass for you! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014