Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/28/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Featuring an alder body and neck and maple fingerboard (34" scale length; 20 medium jumbo frets with black fingerboard binding), this J Bass is custom-fit with two U.S. Jazz Bass single coil pickups (neck and bridge) and a BadAss II Bridge.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
reviews (6) pictures (2) 69 comments vote for this gear:
Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: TomD03, on january 19, 2005

Features: I got the 2003 version of the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (from now on known as GL) and it is a MIJ, black beautiful j-bass. The pups are passive, you have your standard 2 pup volume knobs and 1 tone, tuners are vintage Fender, pickups are also vintage Fender, it has a Badass II bridge, with medium-jumbo frets. Oh yes, the slim neck is to die for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect, the fretwork was perfect, the finish was better then perfect, and what can I say, the neck inlays look f--in beautiful! I've checked every inch of the bass and I can't find a single knick, scratch, or anything, and when checking the soldering all the wires were properly soldered and fastened. Good job Japan! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this bass as a gigging bass for a while now, and I always get positive comments about tone, looks and how kickass it was. I'd have to say that this bass is among one of the most durable basses I've ever owned. This is a tank! // 10

Overall Impression: As a gigging rock, jazz, fuzion and big band player, I appreciate the versatility, durability and rockability of this monster bass. This bass is worth at least 2X the list price of about $800 USD, I'd say with the workmanship, sound and beauty of this bass, this should easily be up in the 1.5K range. Get this bass, get this bass, get this bass. Geddy fan or not, this is the best bass on the market right now. // 10

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Mizzie V, on october 16, 2006

Features: This is a Brand New Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass made in Japan (like all of them). it has 20 jumbo frets on a slim maple neck with '70s style block in lays. Black finish with a white pickguard. It also is equipped with 2 Vintage Fender Jazz pickups with a Badass Bass II bridge. This bass came with a decent Fender Gig Bag as well. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock with a little bit of slappy jazz music in the mix on my spare time and I must say, this bass is a beauty. Messing with the tone and volume knobs can help you get near any kind of sound you want. I'm runnin it through a Gallien-Krueger Backline 4x10 cab with a Berhinger 4500 amp and it sounds glorious. Very punchy and makes for a great slap style bass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right when I got it the bass was set up perfectly. Didn't have to change a thing. Strings werent too so I went and bought some Elixirs but that was an easy fix. This bass looks as beautiful as it sounds. Japan sure did a great job. The '70s style block inlays are an awesome directioin away from your standard dot inlays. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I have not played with it live but plan on doing so in the near future. Everything seems to be attached very nicely and it seems to be near indestructable. You could probably use this at a gig without a backup but you should always have on just in case. Very reliable greeat sounding bass. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is a perfect match for almost any style of music except maybe metal. If your into Audioslave, Buddy Guy, to Hendrix, this is the bass for you. I have been playing for almost 2 years and I'm sure this bass will last me for a very very long time. I would replace it with a new one in a heartbeat if something ever happened to it. After I cried of course. The best part about it are definitely the pick ups. There is little to no buzz on my amp while playin at even the highest volumes. // 10

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: djflats, on may 03, 2008

Features: My Geddy is a 2007 model made in Japan. The finished maple neck is a custom neck from Fender and is super fast. The neck is smooth and thin, easy to move on. It has big black blocks for the fret inlays which look really cool against the light colored maple fretboard. The alder body is black with a white pick guard. I put a black pick guard on mine which makes it look nice. It has the classic "jazz" body style with 2 U.S. Vintage jazz pick ups. The pu's are passive which I prefer personally. It has 3 knob controls, one for the neck pu, one for the bridge pu, and the 3rd knob for tone. The tuners are Vintage Fender style, non-locking. // 9

Sound: The Geddy can be used for many styles of music. I play southern rock, classic and modern country, classic rock, r&b, modern rock, a lot of styles. By "dialing" in the controls I get the sound I want for each style. I play the bass through a Fender Bassman 250/2100 amp and I use a DigiTech Synth-Wah at times. It makes some good sounds through the effects pedal, sometimes some eerie sounds, I like it. I get no fret buzzing or excessive noise from the pick ups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high when I got it. I played 3 different Geddy's and the action on all of them were high from the factory. After a set up the action was just fine, allowing for good finger movement and good sound. The pickups were just fine, no adjustments needed. The finish of the bass was flawless. Nice paint on the body, the neck looked and felt great. The only negative I have for the Geddy is the tuners. To me they feel too loose, sloppy. Once the bass is in tune it pretty well stays there, it's just that the tuners feel "wobbly" compared to others, kind of like the MIM basses. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play gigs at the time but I imagine that it would withstand Live play. I've had no problems with it so far and I play it a lot. The hardware should hold up although I would like to replace the tuners sometime maybe with some Gotoh's or Hipshots. I wouldn't think a back up would be needed when using this bass unless you keep one around in case of a broken string, that way you wouldn't need to take a time out to replace strings. The finish of the bass is nice. It's like any other finishes Fender puts out except for the Highway One series. It should last fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play different types of music, rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock, country, R&B. The Geddy is suitable for all they types of music and does a good job. Just dial in the controls of the bass and amp and it's very versatile. Years ago I played music, back in the '70s (yes, I'm old). I just recently started playing again about 14 months ago. I have a Fender Geddy Lee jazz, Fender Standard Jazz (MIM), Ibanez BTB400QM and I use a Fender Bassman 250/210 amp. If this bass were stolen or lost I think I would have to get another. I tried numerous basses including the American series before I bought the Geddy and the Geddy came out ahead in my book. Now the Fender '08s weren't out at the time so I'm excluding them as a choice, never tried them, so I can't have an opinion. The only thing I'd like to see different on the Geddy are the tuners. I explained why earlier. Other than that I'm happy as hell with it. I hope this reviews helps you out some. Try a Geddy and see if you like the sound and feel of it. // 10

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: djflats, on march 21, 2008

Features: My Geddy is an '06. As all Geddy models it has the black body with a white pick guard(which I'm planning on changing). The finished maple neck is nice, easy to move around on. Being thin makes the neck even better. Another nice feature is the Badass II bridge, great for sustain. It has passive electronics which I prefer and the pick ups seem to be strong, delivering a clear sound. Favoring the bridge pup gives you a good punch when digging in. The pups are Vintage Jazz Bass, single-coil. The only "weak" point I really noticed are the Vintage Style tuners. They tend to have a little "slop" to them. Once the bass is tuned the tuners hold well though. It would be nice to have better quality tuners as a stock feature. All in all I really like this bass. // 9

Sound: The type of music I play varies. Classic rock, modern rock, alt rock, southern rock and country are the styles I play. I play my Geddy through an Ampeg BA-115. Condidering my amp is only 100 watts with a 1x15", it cranks pretty good with the Geddy. I do get some noise but it has more to do with the piezo tweeter than the bass. I'm happy with the sound of the bass. I get good lows but the mids and highs come through good too. I played it through a Fender Bassman 250/210 combo and it sounded real good. Lot of low end punch. Favoring the neck pup can get you a deep, warm sound, something I use a lot of when playing some of the country tunes. Favor the bridge pup and really dig in for a strong solid punch. For the music I play, the Geddy has the capability of delivering all the sounds I need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the Geddy at a Guitar Center. It needed a "set up" because the action seemed to be too high. That was taken care of at the store I purchased it from. Everything looked fine on the bass. It's built solid and where the neck and body are affixed is a tight, perfect fit. The bridge? Nice, it's a BadassII, plenty of sustain. The only flaw as far as I'm concerned are the tuning pegs. The Vintage Style seem to have some slop to them. They hold the bass in tune but it would be nice if Fender would go to a better tuner as a stock feature. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Geddy Lee seems to be well built, ready for gigging. I've had no problems with the strap buttons but then again I don't run around the stage and do cartwheels either. I have a Standard Jazz for a back up but I don't believe I'll need to use it as a back up at least not for lack of reliability from the Geddy.(maybe a broken string). The finish of the bass is nice. I wouldn't think it would show anymore wear than any other bass over time. Overall, I expect the bass to be both reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: The Geddy Lee seems fit for all styles of music as far as I'm concerned. I use it for country, southern rock, alt rock, classic rock... whatever, I have no problems dialing it in. I started playing bass back in the '70's but I took a LONG break, about a 25 year break. The equipment available is unreal compared to what I had back then. I started playing again just about 14 or 15 months ago. For amplification I use an Ampeg BA-115 for now. Occasionally I'll use a DigiTech stomp pedal, not very often though. If someone stole this bass I'd get another one then I'd hunt the person down to get the stolen bass back, that way I'd have 2 of them. So yes, I'd be more than willing to get another Geddy Jazz. Overall, I love this bass. The finish is great and the black and maple looks very cool. The sound of it is just what I wanted. It will get all tones from deep and warm to nice mids and highs. I set out to get a Fender MIA Jazz. I played 2 or 3 of them along with a Precision. Then I played the Geddy. Of the 3 bass models I preferred the Geddy, not because of price but because of the sound and feel of it. I will admit I haven't tried the "new '08" Fenders, none were in stock. The MIA Jazz at the time had the S-1 switch which I didn't care for at all. If you want a nice bass with some warmth and plenty of growl I'd recommend the Geddy Lee Jazz. I love it. If you get a chance try one and see what you think. // 10

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: MR.Shamanistica, on february 11, 2011

Purchased from: PMT Music

Features: This is a Japanese made Fender Geddy Lee Sig Jazz bass, Unsure of the date possibly early 2000's. It has 20 Med Jumbo frets, Alder body, maple C shape neck and fretboard with a nice smooth gloss urethane finish and retro looking block inlays. Mine is the black version although a 3-colour sunburst is also available. It's bridge is a nice Badass II, tuners are Vintage '70s Fender stamped open gear tuners and the nut is made from synthetic bone. It comes with your standard passive J-Bass electronics. 2 Volume knobs for each Vintage Fender single-coil pup and a master tone control. I bleive these have a deluxe gig-bag with them but I purchased mine second hand without it. // 9

Sound: This bass has an amazing sound, I've played almost every type of music imaginable with this and although in some area's it performs better (I've found to be Soul, Funk and Alt Rock)it can handle almost anything including heavy metal with the right EQ settings. It has a bright punchy tone with the bridge pup solo'd and with the neck pup you can get a bit more of a flatter tone as opposed to the bridge, a combination the two works really well. I'm currently running this through a Fender 100W rumble with an MXR Envelope filter and Boss Overdrive Pedal and it sounds fantastic. The overdrive doesn't come out muddy and horribly distorted which is a problem i've had with some basses. The pickups are generally quite quiet although I have gotten some buzz with the Bridge pup solo'd. Only downside is that it is passive so some tones may not be exactly how you want them. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased it second hand so I can't really comment on factory settings but it's been in-store for a while and hasn't had a set-up in a while, and although I plan to get a proffesional one in the next month or so the intonation is perfect, the action is nice and low and the pick-ups seem to be adjusted perfectly for that staple Jazz Bass tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played 2 gigs so far with it and yes, it does withstand live playing. It's been sweated on, accidentally pushed off stands, swung round my shoulders (Don't ask!) and it still seems like brand new!(for a 2nd hand ;]) The hardware is in great condition, good quality soldering. All the little features are held on tight, the strap buttons haven't shown any signs of wear and a quick fly-through of the inside electronics shows it to be pretty ship shape as said. I would gladly gig without a backup with this bass, it's reliable and very durable. The finish is of very good quality, especially the neck, it's so far been somewhat resistant to sweat and so far shows no signs of aging. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall i think i'm in love! It fits what I play perfectly (classic rock) as well as anything else I might delve into at home. I much prefer this to my Yamaha RBX375 or my MM stingray. It felt nicer, the thin c shape neck really helps me play faster more complicated riffs and the neck's finish jsut makes everything so goddamn smooth! I have no regrets buying this beauty! If it were stolen I might cry and then go on a rampage and murder whoever stole it, I just love it that much! :D But yes, I would buy it again, great bass for a fantastic price (Around 850 new) and in my experiance better than the more expensive american made Jazz's. I wouldn't of minded to have a P-Bass pup in the neck position, but hey, theres plenty other basses for that! // 9

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 28, 2012

Features: I have two of these instruments, both of which I purchased used; one was made between 2002-2004, and was modified with a pair of DiMarzio J Bass DP123 pickups, a master volume, blend pot, and a master tone control, and a black pickguard by the previous owner, and one made between 2006-2008, that was/is completely stock. Both instruments have all of the standard Geddy Lee Jazz Bass features as far as build goes; alder body, maple neck/fingerboard with black blocks, etc... The only thing I think should be different is the gig bag the basses come with... Should really be a hard case... Other than that, these basses are perfect for me. // 9

Sound: These basses sound fantastic! I use them in the context of a classic/progressive rock band, but, really they are just great sounding Jazz Basses that would work well in most musical situations. I use them with a Boss GT-6B, and run directly to the P.A. for front of house and In Ear Monitor system for the band, and they sound great... Very full sound, but with more than enough brightness/snap to cut through. The one with the DiMarzio pickups sounds slightly more scooped in the midrange, and the output is a bit hotter, but, apart from that, they sound quite similar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Although I cannot comment on the factory setups, as both were purchased used, I have been able to set them up so that they play and feel great for me. Nut and fretwork are very good and the bridges are solid and very adjustable. Personally, I prefer the action to be a little higher than it needs to be, as I tend to play pretty aggressively, but I'm sure that they could be set quite low, if that was wanted. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Even though I would not play live without a backup, I don't think I will ever need one. Fender instruments are very solid and have been used by many players for many years... I don't expect these will be any different. Appears as though it will be very reliable for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 30 years and have own or have owned basses from Fender, Rickenbacker, F-Bass, Carvin, G&L, Kawai, etc... , and way too many guitars to list. I think the Geddy Lee Jazz Basses can hold their own with pretty much anything that sounds "vintage" in nature. I feel that this model is one of the best values in the Fender line. Although I use these basses in a Rush Tribute Band, I really think that they are just great sounding Jazz Basses that are versatile enough to sound great in many different contexts. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014