Jaguar Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/01/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Jaguar Bass
After all, Fender did invent the bass guitar, and did design the Jaguar guitar, and this baby combines both into one unbelievably cool instrument.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 8.7
 8.7
 7.9
 9.5
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: triorock, on march 06, 2008

Features: My Jaguar Bass was made in 2006 in Japan, it has 20 Vintage style frets with a rosewood fingerboard with aged white pearloid block position markers. The body is alder, the neck is 1 piece maple thin "c" shape with a gloss finish, It also has a mint green tint to the white pickguard to make it look aged. it has a standard 4-saddle bridge. It has active/passive electrionics with 2 Vintage Jazz Bass single-coil pickups. It also has chrome hardware with Vintage style tuners. The only thing I can criticise is the lack of accessory just a cheap gig-bag would have been enough. // 9

Sound: Well I play a lot of rock, punk, grunge, metal and this bass is amasing it can do anything you want it to it is so versatile. I use a Ashdown MAG 300 combo (300w) and I use a Ibanez PD7 Distortion pedal and they work so well with the Jaguar and it's deep growly sound, but if it needs to be the Jaguar can have a bright sound by using it's many controls. It does take a while to find your own sound with the Jaguar but once you do it wont dissapoint. I've read many reviews about the Jaguar being noisy and I got a bit worried after I ordered it but once it came I found out mine was fine. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfectly set-up out of the box I didn't have to adjust anything and still haven't I've had it for about 2 months now, nothing was loose or poorly fit. The action out of the box was perfect, There wasn't any cosmetic damage I can't reely say much more about this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass will withstand gigs and has it stands upto anything I didn't think it would with the complex active/passive electronics but it does I've dropped it a couple times and it's carried on. I'm confident the hardware will last for ages it's Fender I expect it to, but I am going to change the bridge and the tuners when I get some money. I have replaced the stap buttons just because I feel safer with them on than the stock ones but they are solid. I can't fault the finish it is even and looks like it can put up with a lot of stick. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass can be used in any music you just have to know how to use it, I play anything with a interesting bass line and this bass matches up with everything and anything I play. I've been playing bass for just under 3 years and it is definatly the best bass I've played I also own a Fender mexican P Bass and that's nothing compared to this. If it was stolen or if I lost it (I don't know how I would loose it) I would definatly get another Jaguar No Doubt. I love the retro look, the feel, the sound and just everything about it, this bass is in my opinion amasing. // 10

Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: PerfectionBG, on august 01, 2011

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: My Japan-made Jaguar was purchased used from a friend of mine around 6 months ago. This has given me time to get used to my bass before making this review. All of these basses have the same factory features: 20 Frets; Rosewood Fingerboard with aged White Pearloid block markers; Mint green tinted white pickguard; Alder body; 1 piece maple gloss finished neck; Standard 4-saddle bridge. As for the electronics we have: Tone and volume knobs; Series/Parallel pickup switch; On/Off for each pickup; Active On/Off, Treble boost roller (active), Bass boost roller (active). I have had no trouble with any of these features - although have had the circuits grounded and shielded, just in case. I had no addition accessories. I have had no problems with any of the features. I do believe, however, that a pickup blend configuration and smoother tuners wouldn't go a miss. // 9

Sound: My style of playing varies from fast death-metal runs to melodic harmonization: and pretty much everything in between (whether I'm any good at playing them is a different matter!) This instrument happily handles slapping and popping, picking and plucking all day long - and if you think you'd like to go deeper, the Jaguar will take you there, if you need a more piercing treble, the Jaguar run you up there and lets you keep the very pleasurable lows running at the same time. Its very diverse. I sometimes play through a distortion, and the series/parallel helps make everything nice and crunchy. I do get some noise every now and then from the tone knob, but its generally a couple of plays a fortnight thing, so I'll take a look at it soon. Possibly a loose connection. I play through a Fender Rumble combo amp and have played through PA systems too, the Jaguar loves it all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I am unsure as to the out the box set-up of this bass, although it was absolutely mint when I bought it, apart from one scratch apparently caused after a drunked night out - not from the company. The placement of hardware suits me very well, but everyone is different, it'll fit some people like a glove - others like razor wire: but there isnt really much we can do about that! The only problem from me here is a bit of neck dive, which was solved with a more grippy strap, setting me back 15 and now it isnt a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This instrument seems sturdy, strong and well build - and I will trust it now and at many live sessions in the future. I would say without a backup, but I'll always bring one incase of a broken string mid-song etc. The hardware seems tough, but I've never been a fan of plastics, and I imagine they will need replacing every few years (lets say 10?) if you plan on keeping this instrument for that long, and it all depends on the weight of your hand! I am currently using strap-lock strap buttons, and didn't use the stock buttons for more than a day or two. So I wouldn't like to judge, I've always preferred strap-locks. The gloss and paint is unworn as of yet, and I imagine the bass is around 3-5 years old, can't really comment on what I think deterioration will be like. Its all down to how you play. The active/passive means that should the battery die, you aren't on your ar$e and means you can finish the song before replacing the battery. Although I believe that the battery cavity may be a bit fragile whilst open, so you must be precise and not too heavy handed - as it might lead to trouble. // 9

Overall Impression: For me, this bass is perfect. If it isn't perfect for you, you will find the perfect bass. The diversity of it, the way it fits my body and my hands is what works for me. If it were lost/stolen, I'd buy another or possibly an american Stingray or american Active Jazz if I had the cash. But this instrument is amazing value for a very strong rival of the top guns in the bass field. The colour, HOT Rod Red tips this bass off the edge for me - it looks beautiful and sounds even better. It was either this, a Fender Standard Jazz or a Sterling Ray - and after playing them all the Jag won hands down for me. I hope to have a long and happy life with this bass. // 10

Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: Karl Hartel, on october 29, 2009

Features: Mine is the Hot Rod Red with matching headstock. I'm not sure what year it was made. It is made in Japan, Alder body, 1pc. Maple neck (Gloss Urethane Finish), Rosewood fingerboard 9.5" radius, 20 Vintage frets, 2 Vintage J-Bass pups, Controls: Master volume and Tone, Preamp On/Off, Treble and Bass boost only. Pickup Switching: 2 On/Off slide switches one for each pup. Standard 4-saddle bridge, Vintage style tuners, Chrome hardware, 3-ply Minty white pick guard, 34" scale, 1.50" synthetic nut, Aged white pearloid block position markers. No accessories, not even a manual, Oh wait they were kind enough to give you a truss rod wrench. // 8

Sound: How Fender could allow it's name on this thing is beyond me. This thing was so screwed up electronically it's a joke. There idea of QC for this model is having there customers determine they are junk and return them, forcing there retailers to sell junk at a discount. Mine looked like it was returned or tested by somebody to see if it was a good one or not, because it was not repackaged properly when I received it. And yes it was noisy as all get out when I plugged it in to my amp. The battery was dead when I got it, because the ground wire was soldered to the tone pot instead of the input jack were it's supposed to be, so the jack can act like a Switch. The bridge and battery ground were backwards. After re-wiring all the grounds and properly shielding the body cavities it sounded pretty good in passive mode. In active mode the preamp is muddy and noisy sounding. The series/parallel Switch works great and gives you normal/full sound. With a preamp and pup swap this thing could really Shine and could get a full range bright to dark. Unless you can solder or know somebody Who can. You should try before you buy. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, nut height, pup height and intonation were set pretty close to perfect. The body had some scuff marks do to the poor repackaging mentioned earlier. The neck was straight and the pocket was tight and flawless. The fret ends were sharp and not filled, like on low budget basses. The shape and feel is just like a J-Bass. The tuners are clunky and imprecise feeling and it needs to be tuned frequently. The bridge is cheap and flimsy looking. The preamp pots were really scratchy. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As far as Reliability & Durability go I haven't had it long, but except for the input jack, the master tone and vol., the switches, the hardware is cheap. The wood and finish are high quality. I would not use it on a gig w/o a backup. The finish looks like it would hold up well. The hardware seems suspect. The strap buttons are typical Fender not great. // 5

Overall Impression: I play Rock, Blues and some Jazz and am an Intermediate player. The looks of this Bass are awesome, the versatility is also pretty great. Compared to my American J-Bass and my American VG Strat the workmanship and component quality aren't even close. With a fret end dressing, pup and preamp swap, some high quality lighter weight tuners and beefier high mass bridge. And in some cases like mine a re-ground wire and proper shielding job, this Bass would be the perfect Bass. And how about a gig bag and a manual. // 5

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Kurt Cobain Jaguar 8.6 Electric Guitars 06/20/2014