Marcus Miller Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 12/12/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Marcus Miller Jazz Bass
Without a doubt, Marcus Miller's defining groove is being felt around the world by bass players who consider his work to be the pinnacle of the craft.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.9
 9.7
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Marcus Miller Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Bbbodie, on may 13, 2004

Features: Body Ash, Neck 1-Piece Maple, C Shape, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish), Machine Heads Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines, Fingerboard Maple with White Binding and White Pearl Block Position Inlays, (7.25 Radius/184 mm), No. Of Frets 20 Medium Jumbo Frets, Pickups 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups, Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 1. Active Bass Boost/Cut, Tone 2. Treble Boost/Cut, Bridge Leo Quann Badass II, Pickup Switching 2-Way Mini Toggle Switch for Active/Passive Mode. In Passive Mode, Only The Two Volume Controls Function. In Active Mode, Both Volume and Tone Controls Function. Hardware Nickel/Chrome, STRINGS Super 7250M, NPS, p/n 073-7250-006, Gauges: (.045, .065, .085, .105), CASE None, Pickguard 3-Ply Black (Separate Cover For Battery Compartment), Scale Length 34 (864 mm), Width At Nut 1.50 (38mm), Unique Features Chrome Neck Pickup Cover, Knurled Chrome Dome Knobs on Volume Controls, Black Jazz Bass Knobs on Tone Controls, 3-Bolt Neck Plate, "Bullet Truss Rod Adjustment, White Fingerboard Binding with White Pearl Block Position Inlays, Badass II Bridge, Satin Finish Neck with Gloss Finish on Headstock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish in Natural is awesome, I'd ordered it in Sunburst, but due to an error (don't buy there :-)) they shipped a Natural... fell in love at first site and kept it. The Bad Ass II bridge is a wonderful addition that gives additional tone to this beast... I'd have done it myself if it didn't come with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Steady as a rock, there's nothing it can't do for my Rock and Surf tones, so I'm happy and would definently not worry about a backup (maybe a 9v backup, but it plays just fine without the Active Electronics as well). // 10

Overall Impression: Love it. I've had a P-Bass as well as an Epi Shortscale and by far this is the nicest playing instrument I've had my hands on. The Jazz pickups are wonderful in tone, the instrument is a beauty to behold and the growl on the low E is phenomenal... all in all 10 of 10. // 10

Marcus Miller Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2005

Features: This bass is an exquisite signature model. It is no longer made and so proved hard to get hold of. It comes in natural, sunburst or white. It is based on a 1975 Fender Jazz Bass, and has a one piece maple neck with white block inlays and an ash body featuring two vintage Fender Jazz pickups with an active/passive switch. It also features a chrome pickup cover for that retro feel. It has a leo quan badass 2 bridge. // 10

Sound: In active mode this bass has huge growly lows with punchy high notes. In passive it sounds like a vintage Fender Jazz Bass. I play punk rock emo music (in my band Counterfeit) and this bass gives the music another level and when working with the drums this gives the music a huge beefy and punchy sound. This would work great as a funk/jazz/motown bass (as this is what it was designed for) and sounds and feels amazing for slap. Probably wouldn't work that great for fast punk plectrum stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The wood and finsh are of highest quality and the maple neck is gorgeous. The only problem I had was a slight fret rattle on E string. Easily fixed and not heard when played through amp though. As it is a Fender signature model it is made in Japan and the Japanese have done a very good job. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This has a great '70s Fender J Bass feel and so feels like it will last forever (as most Fenders do). It's heavier than most but I find this adds to the overall feel and playability. Normally if I used and active bass I'd take a back just incase the electronics mess up, however this has a switch which allows you to go right back to passive mode. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a truly amazing bass. An absolute bargain for the money. The best Fender I, and many others, have played. It looks amazing and unique and its sound matches its looks. if this were stolen I'd cry then definitly get another. There's nothing else like this on the market and it is a ridiculous bargain(trust me). It is perfect for me and imagine would be for many others. // 10

Marcus Miller Jazz Bass Reviewed by: lorrythebassguy, on december 12, 2008

Purchased from: Internet

Features: These basses are made in Japan. It's got a 21 fret maple "C" shaped neck on a natural Ash body. it's modelled on Marcus Miller's own 70s Jazz Bass. It has a Badass II bridge & 2 band active EQ. Two Fender "Vintage" pickups. There is a volume for each pickup, as well as a mini toggle Switch to turn the active bass & treble controls on. The bass came in a gigbag with a small Fender cable. // 10

Sound: I play mainly Rock & Blues and this bass suits this style well! I run it through my Ashdown Eb12 and they sound great. With the EQ turned off, the bass has the typical Fender jazz bass sound. The neck pickup is warm & the bridge pickup can be blended in using the volumes to add some bite. With the EQ on, the bass becomes more textured. Adding more bass gives enough low end to shake the room, while adding treble gives the bass more clarity. I usually play with the Neck on full, bridge rolled off slightly, Treble about half and Bass 3/4 of the wayy up. This gives a very versatile sound which can appeal to a variety of players. Bassists Who prefer slap techniques would get on with this bass well! There was some fretbuzz at first, but a small truss rod adjustment soon fixed this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action as suplied was great, it was low enough to be easy to play, but high enough to not cause buzz and other unwanted problems. The Badass II bridge means the action & intonation can be adjusted really easily. The pickups were fine and I love their tone! At first I wasn't keen on the natural finish, but I've warmed to it and think it adds to the overall character! The only thing that sometimes gets annoying is the chrome pickup cover, it gets in the way if you prefer slap or playing with a pick. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this bass for over a year now and I haven't had any problems with it at all! The hardware is great and I haven't had the need to replace anything! The strap buttons are solid enough but I always use locks just to be safe. I usually gig without a backup as I have never had any problems. I carry a spare battery for the preamp, but have only had to change it once. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock (eg Led Zep, Free, Queen, ACDC, Whitesnake etc) and the tone is fantastic. I have been playing for 3 years now and this was my first "serious" bass. It took me a while to hunt one down, and I'm glad I found one eventually! I also have an Epiphone EB3 and an old P-Bass copy. If it was lost or stolen I would be gutted as I think it's a fantastic bass that's very adaptible for different genres. I also play a lot of blues, and this bass sounds great when using the neck pickup. My favourite feature is probably the active EQ and the natural finish. The neck is also very playable and smooth. I recommend this bass to anyone is looking for their first serious bass Who plays a variety of genrs and styles, they can be picked up quite cheap now and are definately worth the money! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014