Power Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/19/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Power Jazz Bass
With more tonal variations than ever before, the Power Jazz Bass puts more power at your fingertips with two standard Jazz Bass single-coil pickups and the aforementioned four-saddle piezo (for acoustic/electric tones).
 8.6
 9.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Power Jazz Bass Reviewed by: stratrocker909, on april 19, 2007

Features: My Fender Deluxe Series Power Jazz was made in 2006 (I'm pretty sure. It has a little metal circle that says Fender 60th Anniversary attached to the back of the headstock). It was made in Mexico. It has 20 Medium Jumbo Frets, a Modern "C" Shape maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and an alder body with a 4-ply brown shell pickguard. Mine has a two-tone sunburst finish, a jazz bass body style, and a four saddle piezo Fishman Power Bridge. The two standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass Single-coil pickups in the bridge and middle positions, and 4 in-the-saddle piezo pickups. The two standard Vintage pickups are both passive, but the in-the-saddle ones are active. The controls given are a volume for the middle pickup, a volume for the bridge pickup, a magnetic pickup master tone, and a stacked knob for the piezo pickup's volume and tone. It has 4 Vintage style reverse tuning machines. // 10

Sound: This bass is very versatile in the way that it has much control of what kind of tone I want. I can get some rich jazzy tones to some thrashing metal tones to some straight-out funky sound. I play it through a Fender Rumble 60 Amp. I've had no problems yet with it. There isn't any noise except for minimal fret buzz on the E string, but only because the action is low. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I got it was low, but I like that and kept it even though you can sometimes get a little fret buzz on the E string. I'm completely happy with the pickups. No problems there. The finish is perfect, and the only thing I would change about the appearance is the pickguard (which I will soon. It has a brown shell pickguard now, but I might Switch it out for maybe a white or black one), and maybe add that third tone to the sunburst instead of just having two. I like the Vintage looking staining of the maple on the neck and the headstock. The bridge is great, especially with the piezo pickups built into it. There are no flaws and it's just a great fit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I honestly wouldn't know if this bass is really durable or not because the only Live I've played with it is with the christian rock band at my church, and you don't really have to worry about whether it will break if you go crazy because you don't really go too crazy in front of your entire congregation. The hardware seems like it will last, and the strap buttons are solid, but I'll probably Switch them out for some schaller straplocks in the near future because I do it with all of my guitars. I would definitely go to a gig without a backup with this baby. The finish is perfect and I highly doubt it will wear off any time soon if ever. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this bass and the only thing I would change would be the pickguard. I've been playing guitar for two years and began bass about a year ago, and this is a great fit for an intermediate. It was also great how a new version of this bass would be $1100, but because it was last years model, I got it for half price. This is my second bass. I love the versatility and just the overall sound. If my bass were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another one. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014