Precision Lyte Review

9.6
 9.4
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Precision Lyte Reviewed by: stevo192, on march 23, 2007

Features: My bass is a 1990-91 Japanese P-Bass lyte in metallic black with matching headstock and gold hardware. It had an active P-Bass pickup and an active J-bass pickup. The body is alder and the neck is maple, with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is a P-Bass body in an extremely dark green metallic finish with no pickguard and some pieces of the horns cut away. The body is majorly light, it hardly weighs anything! It has a slim 21 fret jazz bass neck. Though I bought this second hand, I got a hard case and a good strap with it. I like the fact that hardly anyone knows what it is, and I frequently get asked questions about it at gigs. // 9

Sound: Play mainly rock but it also copes well with the odd bit of funk or metal. The tone control is fantastic and I can get almost any sound from it. I love the sound and there is no hum or background noise of any kind. It is just an all round great sounding bass. Whatever I decide to play on it, it sounds great. The sheer tonal versatility was one of the reasons I bought it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this bass second hand, so I cannot comment on the factory set up, but when I got it, it was set up perfectly. The hardware was perfect, the action superb, the finish looked like it had just come from the factory and the pickups at just the right height. The frets were in good condition, and the fretboard was nicely broken in. The fit and finish was brilliant, especially for saying that it is 17 years old! The only problem aesthetics wise was a small chip out of the top of the head, but I can't grumble really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would rely on this bass totally at a gig, but it does have active electronics, so you never know when the battery might die. A string could also snap. I always carry a backup just in case, though I wouldn't think it would be necessary with this bass. However, you never know. The strap buttons are solid but I have to say, they could be considered a little on the small side, and I do plan to upgrade them to straplocks. The finish is also very thick. All in all, it's a really sturdy and reliable bass. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said previously, I think this would be a good match whatever style of music you play, due to the sheer versatility. I have been playing guitar for 5 years, but bass for only about a year. I think I got a really good deal with this bass and I think it will be my main bass for years to come. If it lost it or it got stolen, I would be mortified as these are getting harder and harder to find. It was sheer chance that I picked one of these up in the condition that it is in for the price I paid. In fact, it was sheer chance to find one in the first place! I love the fact with this bass that it is so light. I can play gigs for 2 hours with it on my shoulder and I barely feel it's there! I love my bass, would never consider parting with it, and I have to say, this must be the most underrated Fender bass ever! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014