Standard Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 03/06/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Standard Jazz Bass
Standard Jazz Bass incorporates many Fender's features such as the offset waist body and ultra slim fast-action neck. Updated with two bi-pole pickups and American Jazz Bass knobs.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.8
 8.5
 8.8
 8.1
reviews (23) pictures (5) 74 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: CptKemzik, on october 13, 2005

Features: Made in 2003/04 (I have to check the serial number) in Mexico. 20 medium-jumbo frets and a slim fast action neck. A solid white pickguard and alder wood body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. In an "artic" white finish with an offset waist body and standard vintage style bridge and two bi-polar standard jazz pickups (located in the middle and the bridge) which are passive. Control panel is made of chrome and has two volume knobs and a tone knob. To top it of standard Fender overssize bass tuners. // 8

Sound: The standard jazz has a nice mellow tone with a good balance of low, middle and high end sounds. The middle pickup provides a clean warm sound for R&B/jazz music and the bridge gives a nice growl for rock. The jazz obviously isnt tailormade for rock, but it certainly can hold its own with the hard stuff. However it is not suitable for heavy metal and the P-Bass gives a deeper and punchier sound than the J-bass. So if you play in a rock or hard-rock group try out the P-Bass first as it will help you cut through the band when necessary. In my own band we play various genres and the jazz has a jack-of-all trades style; it isnt outstanding in any one category but can perform well in almost all of them. For gigs I've ran it through countless amps, but for practice at home I've got a Fender Rumble 15 watt which is excellent. However if you intend on becoming a serious guitar player id recomend swapping out the stock pups as the get VERY noisy and staticy with the treble or the bass cranked up. This can get frustrating when playing fingerstlye and hampers the tone when slapping. However the disortion can be a plus if you like to play on pick (like me), and personally I think the extra noise benefiets for the hard rawk kinda sound. I havent swapped the bridge out (yet) however I've heard that stock bridges are less than desirable and if you intend on changing it get a Badass II bridge. Note that swapping the pups and bridge will cost you some extra cash, and Id recomend to just play the bass straight up before deciding if you really are into playing bass guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Apparently I was lucky in this category. I've read many tales of MIM basses having horrible factory setup with the action, pups, and bridge as well as materials. However I think that most of these complaints came from people who bought an instrument from one of the gazillion shoping websites; every store that I've visited had MIM fenders in top shape and ready to go. Because of this I strongly emcourage you to look at a local store when buying an instrument, online buying is a no no in my book and will end up hurting you more than helping you. Plus going to the store has the added advantage of trying out the basses so you can get a feel of what you like. Anways my bass was properly set up (however I've yet to adjust it to my specifications)and have no complaints about the action (it is low but not too low) or the pup adjustment (only the bridge is slightly staggerd so that it can pickup the sound clearly from all the strings). There are some of the typical micro scratches and such but nothing in bad condition and the finish is amazing ( mean really amazing). I dont know what people are complaining about, but MIM Fenders to me are great instruments for beginning players (with previous musical experience) and for intermediate players that are starting up a band; like me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank; I've banged the headstock and body several times during rehersals and during one gig on a cramped lounge stage, and not once did it go out of tune or show any signs of damage. I swear the only thing thats gonna break this bass is an act of divine intervention. However, never, ever gig without a backup bass. Have a squire or Johnson on hand if your main bass gets messed up during a gig. I dont care if youve got a bass made out of titanium, something will happend someday. A fellow musician/friend I know learned this the hard way when during once concert his bass got hit with a water bottle (I'm talkin head on) and he had to play with the bottom two strings for the rest of the gig. // 9

Overall Impression: My band does stuff from Alternative and classic rock, to funk and even a little bit of jazz and blues. My standard J bass fits well with all of these. However I previously played rythmm guitar in my band for two years and made the switch to bass when our band auditioned for a better one (to give you a prespective weve got a singer/keyboardist, a lead guitarist/backup singer, the new rythm guitarist, me on bass/backup singing, and a drummer). Fortunately I've made the transition to the "bottom-end" very well and after a year of playing I know plenty of grooves like the back of my hand. The standard jazz is the one and only bass I've owned thus far, however I've tried out a standard pbass which did have a nice harder tone but I didnt like the neck or lack of variety. I also own a standard strat, which is what I played guitar on (again a solid guitar). If it were stolen, id save up my cash and just get an american bass; these MIM ones are good but not good enough to warrant another purchase. Anyways if you are making a transition from guitar to bass, or your looking for a good medium-end intstrument the MIM basses fit the bill perfectly. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: synyster.punk, on june 26, 2006

Features: This bass was made in I'm guessing 2002, the year I bought it, it was made in Mexico. It is also left handed. It has 21 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard. Alder body with a solid black finish. It has the orginal passive pickups it came with with one tone knob, and two pickup volume knobs. // 10

Sound: This bass suits my music style very well, I play punk rock, oldies and classic/hard rock. I use a Ampeg SVT-Pro head with a 8x10 cabinet, my practice amp is a Peavey TKO 115. both these amplifiers are great. There is no noise at all, none whatsoever. It has a rich full sound and is very bright. This bass can make any sound, you can make it sound like anything you want, its crazy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory, but the pickup poles are a bit off, the american pickups are manufactured so they fit perfectly, as the neck pickup is shorter. There were no flaws in it at all, I am not surprised, Fender are the best basses out there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is my only bass I play at our live shows, it can withstand anything, you just have to take care of it. The hardware will last a lifetime if properly taken care of once again. take note guys. I would use this bass without a backup, as this is my only bass, my Yamaha had the jack ripped out of it. The finish will not wear off, there are a few minor scratches and dings, but no wood showing through. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass suits my playing style, I like to be all over the place on my bass in the proper scale, I like to mess around with chromatics(runs) and octaves quite a bit. I have been playing for 5 years, I also own a Squier Strat Pack. I don't like it one bit, just the guitar. I hate this question but I will answer it anyways, yes I will buy another Jazz bass if this was stolen, but it will never get stolen, I will mnake damn sure of it. I love this bass to the death, mostly how the neck fits my hand perfectly and the body style contours to me very well. Guys, do not buy a bass just 'cause it looks cool, play it and if you feel very comfortable with it then you found a bass you will get very good on. I have not compared this to anything else, no need. The only thing I wish it had was a maple fingerboard with black block inlays. Might as well buy a Geddy Lee signature bass, but I'm pretty sure they don't come left handed. This bass is very good, I recommend it to everybody. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2006

Features: Fender Jazz Bass. Slim neck, 2 single coil pickups, Fender standard "Vintage" tuners. 2 volume controls, one tone. 21 frets (don't quote me on that, I never really counted). Bridge is a piece of stamped sheet metal. Yea, not very reliable there. I ended up changing the bridge. // 7

Sound: Bridge pickup is punchy and tight. Neck pickup is warmer, but a little sloppy. If you turn the tone knob all the way down, you can get rid of a little bit of punch. Works especially well if playing with an acoustic group or you just want to stand in the back and make stuff vibrate. I would play the neck pickup at full volume and bridge at half volume for jazz or blues styles. Bridge up and neck down for something like punk rock. Generally, I use my effects (Zoom 506 II) and amp (I've played it through just about anything you can think of. Fender, Crate, Carvin, Ampeg, SWR, GK, Ashdown) to shape the tone, so I just turn all the knobs up. I play with chorus a lot. That's basically the only effect I'd ever use for bass. Maybe distortion for metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is semi-disappointing. It has some bubbling, and it's a little uneven. Tuners could use some work, but unless you're slamming the thing full force, it stay in tune pretty well. I had it set up shortly after buying it. The bridge drove me crazy for the first 2 years of owning this thing. The little screws that go into the saddles to adjust the action are not properly fitted to the holes they're going into. After one song, the vibrations would leave my low E string hugging the bridge, very close to the pickups, giving me a very boomy low end sound. After I replaced the bridge, I've never had a problem. I added a thumb rest for more ease of play, but I generally never use it. I still opt for the thumb against the bridge pickup. Personal preference, I guess. I still have the original bridge lying around somewhere. It's a little rusted. Also, the poles of the pickups have become corroded. I was a little disappointed by that. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 3.5 years now. It's never given me any problems except for the faulty bridge. Only ever once used a backup, and it was for an alternate tuning. I've played it at practice/studio sessions/live gigs quite a bit. Never failed me yet. // 7

Overall Impression: If you change the bridge, the thing is amazing. It's sound is so versatile. I like the passive pickups. I find actives are too overdiven for my liking. I play anything from jazz, to rock, to death metal. It's just a nice bass. Everyone Who has ever played my bass says "this this sounds and play so well!" // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: monkey_dancer, on june 04, 2009

Purchased from: Dolphin Music, Gateshead

Features: This bass was made in 2007 in Mexico. It has 20 medium frets, a rosewood fingerboard and the usual thin Jazz neck. It has a maple neck and an alder body. Mine is 'Artic White', which is a beautiful creamy colour, and it has a white pickguard. It has a standard Vintage style top-load bridge with 4 individually adjustable saddles, and all chrome hardware. 2 standard passive single coil pickups, each with its own volume control, and a shared tone control. I got mine with a free Fender soft-case and an allen key for the bridge saddles. // 7

Sound: I play most things except metal, but I mainly use this for pop/rock'n'roll and jazz. I mainly use this with an old 300W Peavey solid state combo, although I sometimes use other amps for gigs when it's more practical. I have a Boss ODB-3 and a fuzz, but for the band I'm in at the moment (old Jazz and Rn'B standards) I don't use any pedals. That said, the bridge pickup does sound wonderful through a fuzz, you can get a lot of growl, while still having clear definition. I rarely get noise issues when playing, and then it's only when standing quite close to an amp turned up very loud, which is something I like to avoid anyway! This is a brilliantly clear instrument: it always sounds rich and round, but there's plenty of high end and clarity, harmonic overtones Shine through in a great way, and the bass has the nicest sustain on any instrument I've ever played. It is fantastically versatile tonewise; the two pickups have very different characters, and different blends can produce vastly different sounds. More importantly, all of the options sound good for something, rather than having a hundred options of which five are usable. It's always possible to get a good sound for any situation. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I went in to the shop to try this bass and bought it there and then, so the action was great from the start: I have never played a more comfortable guitar or bass, the thin neck feels brilliant, and the finish on the back of the neck is very fast. Everything on the bass is in good condition. I've only had one problem, which is that occasionally when I play very hard some of the bridge saddles slip down, so I have to raise them again, because it lowers the action and there is a lot of fret buzz. Apart from this (minor and fixable) problem, everything has been perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use this Live pretty much every week, and I've not had a single problem yet. All the hardware feels very solid, and I think it would take some abuse to break anything (abuse it won't get!). The bass holds in tune really well, I generally only have to adjust it by tiny amounts at the start of gigs. The strap buttons are very solid, despite the weight of the bass; it's the strap itself I'm more worried about. I don't often gig without a backup because another guy in the band normally brings a bass along, but nothing bad has ever happened to it on or offstage, and I wouldn't think twice about doing so. The finish doesn't seem likely to wear off. So far there is only one crack, and that's from when somebody else hit the bass against a stone wall. Needless to say, he hasn't touched it since! Basically, it would take an awful lot to break this bass, it seems built to last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything that isn't very heavy, especially jazz and rock'n'roll, and this is, in my opinion, the perfect bass for those and many other genres. I have been playing bass for about 4 years, and I also have a Stagg starter bass, a practice amp, the aforementioned pedals and lots of guitar stuff. The bass is exactly as advertised, and I have no problems with any part of it at all. I chose carefully, and I love it as much as I did when I got it about 8 months ago. If it were stolen or lost, I would look at other basses, because you never know what you'll find, but I would probably focus on similar basses, and I wouldn't be surprised if I finished in buying another of these. Or maybe a fretless, but even then I'd probably get the fretless version of this. My favourite thing has to be the neck, which feels great to play, but I also love the tone, and how beautiful it is. Definitely one of the nicest looking instruments I've seen. It's hard to beat such simplicity in design and function, and the only problem is the slipping bridge saddles. In time I'll either get new saddles or a new bridge, but it's a very small problem, and I'll only replace the bridge with one in exactly the same style. Before buying this, I shopped around for about a month, trying out all manner of basses, including spectors, p-basses, warwicks; absolutely every bass I could find in my price range. I had tried other Jazz basses, but this one in particular jumped out at me; it outplayed every other bass by a large margin, and looked and sounded great. So I would advise potential buyers to try more than one of the bass you intend to buy, as this particular bass was much, much nicer to play than the 2 other Jazz basses I tried, even though they were all the same model. I suppose that suggests weak quality control, but even the other Jazz basses I tried were fine, just not as good as this one. Part of that will be the set-up in the shop, and part manufacture, I suppose. That has really discouraged me from ever buying a guitar online, as it's nice to be able to play the exact guitar you end up buying, just to know that it's good. The only things I want about the bass are the bridge/saddles (only to correct the problem on this particular bass) and the pickguard colour: I'd like a tortoiseshell one. I'll probably get a black one and a tortoiseshell, and then swap between the 3 colours when I feel like it, just for the variety. I wouldn't change anything more fundamental about the bass, it's versatile, great to play, sounds good and looks fantastic. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Dennis Vernier, on january 09, 2012

Features: Made in Mexico, Gloss Black Finish, replaced pickups with two passive Bartolini pickups, replaced bridge with an ABM bridge, replaced pickguard with a custom made white pearloid pickguard, replaced round wound strings with flat wound strings and replaced the strap buttons with quick release strap locking buttons. // 10

Sound: This setup suits my musical style. Traditional finger style and pick. I currently have a Backline 250 Amplifier and a Carvin 1-15" bass bottom both of which I purchased used. Also an Acoustic B20 practice amp. The Barolini pickups are very quiet but still put out as much volume as the stock Fender pickups did. It has a full sound and the variety of sounds are enough for my playing style. I use flat wound strings mainly because I like the feel. I personally am not into the string popping funk style bass playing so I'm not looking for a lot of treble in the sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup of the guitar was OK but I had to reset everything after I changed the strings and bridge. The stock pickups were adjusted OK. I personally did not find any flaws in the craftsmanship of this guitar. The finish on the neck is a nice quality satin finish. The body seems like a nice quality high gloss black finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: These basses are very solid and should last a long time. The Fender hardware seems very high quality. I replaced the strap buttons with strap locking ones. I would definitely use it without a backup, it's my only bass. I think the finish is hard enough to hold up to long playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of classic rock, blues, folk, jazz and some country. I've been playing for about 45 years. I've spent most of it as a guitarist crossing over to bass. If it were stolen I would probably get another one. I don't think you can do better for the price. It meets my needs. I believe there are a lot of working musicians that use these basses when they are on a budget. I don't think you can do better in this price range and still have what I consider to be a professional quality instrument. I definitely recommend upgrading the bridge and pickups but that isn't even totally necessary. I like to mute the bridge with the palm of my hand when sometimes using a pick and the ABM bridge I have chosen is very comfortable for that as opposed to the stock Fender bridge. I also think the stock Fender tuning heads are excellent. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: KevinKung, on august 02, 2004

Features: I bought this bass at a reasonable price w/hard case. The Standard Jazz Bass was made in Mexico (21 frets). The thin maple neck makes it easy for my fingers to run my way through the frets. There are also 3 control knobs for tone and volume. The color of it was 3 tone sunburst and 3 ply white pickguard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar was well done. I had standard jazz vintage pickups. I made sure it was bookmatched top and that there were not any flaws with it before buying it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can withstand live playing easily. Every year, I would recommend a change in pick ups and strings. I could bring only one of these to a jam session or gig without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, the guitar can fit all styles of music. I've been playing bass for 3 years and I this is the best bass I've had yet. Although it took me a long time to decide between Precision and Jazz, I think that the general sound of it fit into the style I played like a glove. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2004

Purchased from: McCormacks

Features: Recently Purchased a new Fender Jazz (mex 21 frets) with a Sage Green Metallic Finish and a 3ply White, black, white pick guard. With 3 Control knobs 2 for volume 1 for tone. Came With a Basic Thin Bag which I wouldnt use for transport for its sheer thinness. Bought a new Pickguard for it though a 3ply Black White Black one which makes it look much better. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything seemed to be set up perfect when I got it amazingly it was in tune as well when I bought it. This seems to be an perfectly made bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Bass is yet to go with me to a gig as it was only recently bought but it will do its fair share of gigs in its future and from friends reports of using Fender Jazz Bass's they are extremely durable and reliable. Would Def take this to a gig without a back up no problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall Impression is that this is a great Bass. It gives of perfect sound and its easy to play. Will be reliable at gigs and in practice and will last a lifetime. Until I have enough money to buy and try an American Made one this bass will be my one and only. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Action, Fit & Finish: The offset waist style body moves some of the body out of the way of your arm. If you are sitting down this is the most comfortable bass ever. Standing up I suppose a P-Bass is more comfortable butits close. Finish was flawless, wont crack unless u set it aflame and throw it out of a helicopter onto a new york city sidewalk. // 10

Overall Impression: Great bass. Definetly better than a P-Bass as far as standard bases go, but in the American series things start to heat up. // 6

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: punkbass479, on july 11, 2005

Features: 2002 Mexican made Model. 20 meduim frets on a rosewood fretboard. Alder body, maple neck. Midnight wine metallic finish. J-Bass-style body. Standard-stock topload-bridge. Passive electronics. 2 volume controls and one tone control. 2 standard single-coil bass pickups. Non-locking Fender-style tuners. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect for my standards except the strings, (but like that matters, I can change them later). I think the only real flaw was that it was a J-Bass, so it was big and heavy. But it is the most comfortable bass ever when you sit down with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it live yet, but everything is extremely solid and tough, so I'm guessing it is very durable. The strap buttons are small but they hold better than my old bass's which were bigger. If I did a gig with it, I'd probably have a backup, just to be safe, but I doubt I would need it. // 10

Overall Impression: Some people would say a Jazz Bass wouldn't be good for rock, but I think it couldn't be a better match. The thin neck is easy to use, and rockers need something easy to play because they're playing so fast. I've been playing for only a year and a half, but I did a lot of homework before buying this or doing this review. My expertise isn't as good as others, but I think I know enough. I love it! // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2005

Features: This guitar isnt mine, it's my dad's but I use it in one the bands I'm in. He bought it around 20 years ago, for a bargin because the guy he bought it off didnt know what he was selling. It has 20 frets and a maple neck and body, made in the US. It has a brown quited finish with a white pic gaurd. It has a star style shape I think, it has 3 controles 2 volume and 1 tone. It has a hard case made of wood and satin carpet inside. // 10

Sound: I play everything from Metallica, Trvium to Green Day, New Found Glory, The Calling ect. and it fits all of them perfectly. I basiclly whatever amp I can at gigs, but when we practicei use my dads 100 watt hh amp. There is loads of variety. It sounds awesome! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a dream, I've played a number guitars and basses, and the on the jazz is second to none. I don't play around with the pickups and stuff because it's my dads pride and joy. The only problem is at the bridge which wasn't like theat when he got it. One of the bolts that holds the string support is missing, but we are lookin for one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's been going for 20 years and there aint any signs of it conckin out anytime soon. Nothing isn't working. I would use it all the because it can take it 100%. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it doesnt matter what type of style you play, heavy or soft, because you can give it a dull, heavy sound or use the uniqe "twang" you get with a Jazz. So it don't matter what you play. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: BassSurfer, on january 04, 2006

Features: The jazz bass such a popular bass in the history of the bass guitar. I loved mined when I forst tried it its great. Nice fast neck and alot of various tones male this bass great for any type of music which consists of punk-ska-rock-metal-jazz-funk etc. I also enjoy this bass for slapping and popping as well. It has 2 volume controls and one tone control which givesy ou great sounds. The J-Bass pickups give nice, warm, tones which can treat your style well. It has 20 frets which are a nice size which can make even the starter bass player start his bass days off to a great start. // 9

Sound: I play from punk-metal-rock and this bass suits all those needs. The two volume and one tone are great for any type of music and bassist's can find a vast variety of tones for them to enjoy. I plug through SWR and Mesa Boogie amps and it sounds amazing. Its not even noisy which can be great for any player. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, the pickups were great and the bridge could not of been better. Everything was great nothing more to say or talk about this bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass can withstand gigs, studio, and of course pratice and home. This bass can probably take a good beating (not like you want it to) but can. The starp buttons are nice and never come loose or seperate the bass strap with the buttons. This was a great feature The finish which for me was (sage green metallic) is great so far and will last for years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: This bass matches all of kinds of music and is great for any bass player who wants a great sounding bass which can deliver many diffrent tones. I've been playing for 5 years and this is my first Fender I ever had. I also own the Ibanez SR505, The Ibanez K5, and a Washburn XB-102 Bantam series. This Fender is diffrent from these (in a good way which I like). Nothing is wrong with this but if I could ask for one more thing on it, it would be to install another tone control knob (even know the tones are tasty and awesome). Get this bass try it out youl love it instantly! // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: MeAndMyGuitar13, on april 04, 2006

Features: First introduced in 1960 as the "Deluxe Model", it was renamed the Jazz Bass as Fender felt that its redesigned neck, narrower and more rounded than that of the Precision Bass, would appeal more to jazz musicians. The Jazz Bass has two bipolar "Jazz" pickups. As well as having a slightly different, less symmetrical and more contoured body shape (known in Fender advertising as the "offset waist contour" body), the Jazz Bass neck is noticeably narrower towards the nut than that of the more common Fender Precision Bass. The original intention was to make it easier for upright-bass players to make the switch to electric bass. It has three control knobs (instead of the two of the Fender Precision Bass), two of them controlling the volume of the two pickups and one for the overall tone. A fourth, push button control is available on some models of Jazz Bass produced after mid-2003. Known as the "S-1 Switch" this feature allows the pickups to operate in standard, parallel wiring, or alternatively in series wiring when the switch is depressed. While in series, both pickups function as a single unit with one volume control, giving the Jazz Bass a sound similar to the Precision Bass. Design Features. Some "Deluxe" Jazz Bass models have been produced which feature active pickups rather than the traditional passive ones. In place of the usual single passive tone-rolloff control, these models have three separate equaliser controls: bass and treble response are controlled by the base and top, respectively, of a stacked double panpot, while midrange is controlled by a second panpot. The Jazz Bass has a warm, fat, funky sound, without as much high-end punch as the Precision. This makes it ideal for finger-style players (bassists who pluck the strings with their fingers rather than using a pick), and the sound of the fretless Jazz Bass became a classic of jazz fusion music thanks to famous bassist Jaco Pastorius. It also became a classic in the hands of bassists such as John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, Noel Redding, John Entwistle (in the 1960s) and Geddy Lee of Rush, to name but a few. Vintage examples from the 1960s and 1970s are now highly coveted and fetch four and five-figure sums, when they can be located, and the new models remain a popular choice today of Rock, Jazz, and Fusion musicians. // 9

Sound: This suits my music style perfectly! I like a smooth and jazzy bass. Not really into the raspy metal basses. I am using a 55 lb. tube amp. Not using any effects, just the thick sound that I need. There is a good boom to it when its plugged in, a very rich brisk sound. The guitar can range from jazz (due to its name), all the way to bright sticato sounding. Mainly depends on the type of amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Not sure really how it was manufactured, but it must have been put together with care for the sleek and light weight body. the pickups really set the mood of the bass and can make or break it. The top is mostly flat and shines due to the sleek surface. The bridge is all silver, good grip. There were a couple of small scratches but nothing damaging. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Most definitely, nothing should create problems for a live concert. The hardware is durable for many many yeras of use. The strap hasn't collapsed on me ever. I worry about some of the things I do with the strap coming off, but never does it disconnect. I always have a backup but I wouldn't worry if there wasn't any backup. I have had it for well over 4 years now but like any guitar (bass), it will wear down, conditions are still high though. // 8

Overall Impression: I definitely bought this specific bass for jazz, hence the name (Fender "Jazz" Bass), the match is phenominal. I have been playing for about 5 years now, I own a Penvey Patriot electric guitar, Inidiana acoustic guitar, lefty classical, Fender Jazz Bass, and an Ibanez thin neck. If I would have asked something it would have been what is a good price to sell it at if I were to ever sell it. I would have gotten it again or another jazz bass type. Being able to play without any trouble of a string breaking on the beautiful neck. I don't really like the feature of two volume nobs. I never can get the perfect sound. I love the simplicity of the electronic hardware inside the beast. I can always fix a problem no matter how small/big the size. I looked around for a while at Penveys, Ibanezs, etc, but nothing seemed as satisfying as this bass. I chose this particular bass because of the selected sound and tone it makes. I definitely wish it had a wamy bar, but not many bass's have them! // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2006

Features: It was made in 2005 or 2006 and was made in Mexico, it has 20 frets (I have the fretless model), It has a rosewood fingerboard with a maple back and head of the neck, I am not sure wut the body is made of, it has the sunburst finish, it's a Strat style body, it has a Standard Jazz Bass bridge I think, passice electronics, it has 2 volume controls (one for the neck pickup and one for the bridge) and a tone control, the pickups are just jazz style pickups that came stock with the bass, it has non-locking tuners, and it came with a nice Fender deluxe bag I think because my Squier bass that I had before hand had a case made by Fender that is not nearly as good as the one that came with this bass. It came with a white pickquard and I'm not really diggin' the style of it so I ordered a cool black one (should be in soon hopefully). // 9

Sound: It's the very very greatest of the great sound and tone I was looking for it has that beautiful fretless sound and when I turn off the neck pickup it and turn the tone off and after setting my Fender 15b Frontman amp to 10-low, 5-mid, and 1-high it sounds damn near like a stand up bass if I play it the right way (just like Jaco Pastorius Who is the greatest bass player to ever live on this world nobody will have ever been better than him and none ever will). It came with flatwound strings (total score) which is the best for the style I play jazz mostly on bass. I think they are worth around $100-170 if you buy them seperate. It has a variety of sounds I can set it to cool up-beat fast stuff like Jaco would play or if I set it to the neck pickup it is not bad for slapping but then again it's a fretless and it's hard to get a good slap sound from a fretless. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is completely fine the way they set it (I don't know if they set it at the store or if it is just left from when it came from the factory in Mexico. It is completely fine the way everything on it is set up. However this is the one bad thing about the bass that really pissed me off after I took off the white pickguard. Iwanted to see if it looked muich like Jaco's bass if I took the pickguard off. after I got it off there was no joke a hole from a drill under where the pick-guard was covering over it. I mean honestly who drills a whole in a bass (unless they were smart enough to figure that people would do this so the bass could look like Jaco's signature which I could have bought for more than twice the price of the one I bought which would make sense). So now that I can't have it pick-guardless I have found a solution to the problem and I ordered a black pickguard so it will look a lot better than the blande white one. And I'm thinking of buying some metal control knobs to replace the black plastic ones but they are exopensive to get 3 alan key tighten one for a Fender Jazz bass (you can only buy normal priced ones in packs of 2 and they can't be tightened with alan keys so if I get the $ for them I will get them. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass will definently withstand live playing, the hardware will last as it seems, I changed the strap buttons for ones that came with the stap-locks that I bought and they are completely fine. I depend on it completely there is nothing that I can see that is wrong with it. I had to trade in my beginner bass for this to help bring down the price so I will have to use this at gigs without a backup for a while. // 10

Overall Impression: I play jazz on bass mostly and it is THE perfect match. I've been playing for 3 years, I have to use a Fender 15B frontman at the moment for I cannot afford a good big bass amp (I want a Laney half-stack guitar amp before hand for playing my electric at gigs in my metal band) but after I get that with the money that I get for my birthday and after trading in my Cort X-6 because the floating bridge is too hard and annoying to Switch tunings I am going to trade that in and get an Ibanez RG7123 (7-string with fixed bridge) for that will be far more kickass for playing metal and a hell of a lot easier to Switch tunings and will be fun to play crazy 7-string stuff. And after I get those things with the $ I'm going to make working in the summer if I get the Laney and Ibanez I am going to get an SWR workingpro 15 I think because you cannot go wrong with any of those brands. Back to the Fender standard fretless bass if it were stolen I'd hunt the bastard that stole it down and get it back how I'm going to leave that as a no comment. I love the fact that I finally have a kickass bass that I can play fun jazz stuff on and make it sound really nice. Before I bought it I thought about getting a 5-string Cort but decided I want a fretless much much more and could use it for much much more. So I looked around for a fretless for a low price and I found out Washburn made one but I tried out a Fender and got addicted to it so I saved the $ and bought one. After I bought the Fender I saw that they had a Washbrun fretless in a different store and tried it out the fingerboard looked like and felt like plastic, it was out of tune horribly, and it sounded like shit. So I thanked Jesus for bringing my eyes to that fretless Fender bass. And I have named all of the things that I wish I had and if everything goes smoothly and my parents don't say nobody gets nothing for there birthdays or christmas because were going to Hawaii then I will get all of those things hopefully. Buy a Fender I garaumtee that you will never doubt yourself. Have a good one. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: pie_man_25, on january 05, 2007

Features: I got it used, so it's a bit cheap, plus it came with a gig bag and strap. It is a '94 model, made in mexico, 20 small frets and slim fretboard, hust the way I like it. Made out of Alder with two Jazz bass pickups (of course) and two volume pots and a treble reduction pot. // 8

Sound: For the Price I got it for, it's perfect for me, it gets a bit noisy, but I could replace the pickups when I get some money, I play it with a Warwick Halfstack (which I also got used) and it has a great versatility in a pretty cheap package. I'd still rather have a US made Fender, but so far no other complaints. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: String action needed a bit of adhustment, and the fretbord was dirty, but you can expect that used, so I cleaned it up. It looks prety good, but offset waist bodies are hard to get stands for. The body is nicely contoured so it's comfortable to play anywhere. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, It's been awesome at Live playing, when using flatwound or greased up strings, (apparently ther's a product that can grease strings so you don't get that screach when rubing your fingers against it) I have a crappy strap that falls off of all my guitars, so I can't judge. I'd still use a backup in a serious gig though, slim necks can warp sometimes, andI don't take many risks like that. The finish is generally solid, beat up in the back, but those were there when I bought it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall a great Bass, I play various genres of music, mainly rock, so it's nice to have the versatilityof two pickups and a tone pot, I'd still get a new one if it wer lost or broken or something. So far the sensitive pickups mean I need to keep new strings on it and this is my first and only bass guitar so far, so I can't really complain, I've had it for a couple years and it lept it's value so far. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: djflats, on march 22, 2008

Features: My Standard Jazz is a '92, MIM. It has 20 frets and a rosewood fretboard on a nice, slim jazz neck. Mine is an arctic white with a white pick guard and for a 16 year old bass the finish has held up good. The bass has 3 control knobs. One is for the volume of the neck pup, one for the bridge pup, and the third being for tone. The Standard is passive, which is what I prefer. The pups are old but they have plenty of punch in them. Standard J-bass pick ups are used on it.One thing I do not like about the bass is the tuners sloppy. Vintage Style tuners have too much slop in them so I replaced them with Schallers. The stock tuners do hold the bass in tune though, they just feel cheap. // 9

Sound: I play different types of music ranging from modern rock to old time country. By using the controls on the bass and the controls on my Ampeg BA-115 I can get just about any sound I want from the bass. I play with acoustic and electric players. When I play with the guys with their acoustics I set the amp on about 2-3 and control the volume with my bass. The bass will cut through the electric guitars good too. If I need more punch I just dial in the bridge pup and it cuts. The neck pup gives a deep, warm sound and at times eerie, kind of cool. Favor the bridge and you can dig in and get some punch and growl. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the bass used so it needed some work. I had a set up done on it because the action needed lowered. All it needed was a little crank on the truss rod and some adjustments on the bridge saddles. Like I said before, the only thing I didn't like is the tuners. The Vintage tuners are sloppy. The bass is put together good though, seems very solid. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Considering it has lasted 16 years I'd say it's both reliable and durable. I wouldn't think twice about gigging, it will take the abuse. The paint is still on it so I'd say the finish is good. Just change the tuners, too much slop. How many times do I have to mention this? // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I like this bass a lot. I play different styles of music, rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock and country but the bass serves it's purpose playing all. I just started playing bass about 14 months ago after a 25 year lay-off. The equipment has changed a lot so I'm still learning about the new stuff. But I am satisfied with the Standard Jazz and wouldn't hesitate on getting another if something happened to it. I like the feel and sound or the bass, pluses. The negative is tuners. I'd recommend the Fender Standard Jazz to others, whether playing at home or gigging. Try it out and see what you think. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: ryenzio1, on march 28, 2008

Features: Made in Mexico. The serial number indicates it was made in 2007, so even though I got it used it was essentially Brand New. Has 20 frets, like most Fender basses. Body is made of alder, and the neck is maple with rosewood glued on. The finish on mine is "Midnight Wine" which is a deep red with a little bit of metallic quality to it. Most internet pictures do the color no justice at all, the finish really is gorgeous in person. Bridge is still standard Fender. Has 2 passive standard jazz pickups, with individual volume and master tone controls. Tuners seem to be standard Fender stuff. Everything was still completely stock when I got this bass. Can't say that it has too many features, but it doesn't have anything I don't need, which is convenient. // 8

Sound: Suits my style perfectly, I play anywhere from classic rock to jazz and blues. It works well with any genre you can throw at it. I'm using it with a Line 6 Lowdown modeling combo, which I use to get some good '60s tones. I generally turn the tone up all the way and leave both pickups on full. This gives a good balanced tone and cancels the hum as an added bonus. Occasionally I will solo one of the pickups and when I do this, I turn the tone knob all the way down to help with the hum. If it really bothers you that much you could get a noise gate, but I don't think most people care too much. You can get a variety of sounds, anywhere from deep Jamerson fingerstyles to blistering slap and pop with just about everything in between. No bass can adapt to any situation as well as the Fender Jazz. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't vouch for how it came from the factory because I bought it used, but it came to me with very nice low action and hardly any fret buzz. Everything else seemed to be set up tip-top as well, I think the previous owner may have payed to have it set up. The strings were intonated perfectly and the pickup height was spot on. No flaws were found except for possibly the most minor blem possible: One of the two white PVC dot markers on the side of the 12th fret is missing, however, I do not know if that is how it came from the factory, the previous owner may have lost it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has and will withstand Live playing, and I have gigged it without a backup. The hardware is sturdy and secure. The strap buttons worked, but I fitted a homemade pair of straplocks just to be extra secure. The finish seems nice and thick, I have bumped the body on chairs and walls and stuff and nothing has chipped off yet. // 8

Overall Impression: Considering that the majority of what I play is influenced by John Paul Jones and Noel Redding, it is no accident that this bass suits my style. I have been playing a couple years and my only other bass is a starter kit Dean that wasn't really intended to last me too long. I saw this bass as the perfect upgrade because there are so many things you can do to it to suit your sound and personality. This is already a great instrument, but with new pickups and a new bridge it would be at least as good as a Geddy Lee or maybe a Highway One. Down the road if I decide to go with something more expensive this will be the most perfect and reliable backup bass you could possibly have. If it was stolen I would probably get an American Jazz Bass, only because I have more money now than when I bought this one. I knew before I bought it that I didn't want anything but a Jazz Bass. The only one I compared it to was the deluxe active, and while that one looked nice and had a good active EQ, I couldn't justify the difference in price. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 15, 2008

Features: Brand New MIM Fender jazz with 20 frets, alder body and maple neck with rosewood laminated over it. It has passive electronics with two volume and a single tone control. Has the two standard jazz pickups and stock tuners. Came with a Fender gig bag that seems decent enough. // 8

Sound: I play mostly blues with some classic rock interspersed and the jazz really caters to this type of music. I play this through a Fender Bassman 250 which gives a nice fat sound. I am not looking for a lot of high end or trebly/clanky tone(I have a '78 Rick 001 for that) I was looking for a straight ahead blues bass to form a real workingmans rhythym section. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I played a few MIM Fender Jazz basses and found some subtle and not to subtle differences. I bought the Midnight Wine version which really is a beautiful color and like a past review said, must be seen up close to be appreciated. The pickups needed a slight tweak for height, but everything else was good to go. GC tech tuned it and checked intonation and it was dead on for the latter.This bass was a demo, yet the finish was flawless. The neck fit and pickguard alignment were perfect. There is a small indentation on the neck itself close to the pocket which may have been caused by clamping at the factory. Minor stuff to be expected for the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With care, I hope this bass will provide me with many years of Live playing. The only weak point I see is the bridge which could use an upgrade. You could probably use it without a backup, but I don't leave anything to chance. I am sure you could dump hundreds into upgrading pickups, bridge, and tuners, but what is the point? The reason people buy this model is price and it delivers based on that. // 8

Overall Impression: Once again, I love the warm tone it lends to blues music and find myself using it as my main axe quite often. I have been playing for 25 plus years, almost exclusively Rickenbacker, but that sound doesn't lend itself to blues. If it were stolen I would buy another without hesitation. I love the thin unlacquered neck for ease of movement. I have large hands, but it is still a welcome relief. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: capt.groove, on august 09, 2008

Purchased from: GAK

Features: The new American Standard Jazz Bass, is a bass that's needed to be played, to be believed. Brand new for 2008, the New Jazz (and it's Precision Sister), launch Leo Fenders Designs into modern day times. Made in the USA, this bass features 20 medium jumbo frets, a beatiful traditional Jazz-thin maple neck, with a satin finish. The fretboard comes in either maple or rosewood, and is in a gloss finish as well as the headstock. You have your classic J-Bass body, and a new thinner finish on the paint, giving a lighter instrument. The bridge, can either be as a conventional jazz bass bridge, or now strung-thru the body, giving great sustain.The bass has the standard 2 J-Bass Pickups, and 2 volume, and 1 tone control. The tuners have the 'elephant ear' design, but they have been modified to also reduce weight. A new lockable hard case comes with the bass, which also includes a cloth, strap, and a cable (and of course a manual, and truss rod tool). // 10

Sound: The Jazz Bass, as always, has a brilliant smooth sound with the neck pickup. With the bridge pickup soloed, you get a more treble sound. Mixing them together with about 80% Neck and 20% Bridge gives a rather nice sound. I use my bass for many styles of music, and it fits in perfectly, both sound, volume and tone. The new finish neck also gives easy smooth slides, for those Who wish to 'jazz it up' Teamed up with my Ashdown Blue 180 12" combo, and a DigiTech Bass Multi Chorus Stomp Box, it provides excelant versitality. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say on this subject. The bass was ready to play, out of the case, with no imperfections on the instrument it's self. The bass came with full protection on parts like the stratchplate and tuners. The action on the bass was perfect for me, especially as I refuse to use a plectrum. My bass is in the Olympic White finish with a Tortoise Shell Pickguard, and these did not contain and problems. All the screws on the bass were as flush as they should be with the bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet had the chance to gig this bass, but from it's feel, I'm sure it will Live up to what's needed by the gigging bassist. The hardware feels secure, and stays firmly where it should do. The strap buttons are solid, and are shaped in such away where it's near impossible for the strap to slip. Yes, I feel you can depend on this bass, but as always if you are gigging, it is very important you have a spare bass. As I haven't had a chance to 'road test' this beast yet, it's hard to say whether the finish will last, and anyway it's a Fender, it's going to (well apart from Jaco's Bass anyway). // 9

Overall Impression: The Music I play is mainly covers, of artists like Kate Nash, and The Feeling. However, away from the band, I play lots of different artists, like Elvis Costello, The Jam, and The Clash. I've been playing for nearly 4 years, and started on a Squier Bronco Bass (I only have small hands), and a Fender Rumble 15 Combo. Scince then I've collected a Squier Precision Special (with both P-Bass and J-Bass pickups, and a J-Bass neck). As I mentioned above, I have an Ashdown Bass Combo as my amp. If this bass was stolen, I would certainly re-purchase it. it's a fantastic bass with all the power you need to play those licks loud and clear. I love practically everthing about this bass. The only one point I can come come across that is poor about this bass, is not bass itself. The strap supplied with the bass is far to thin for comfortable playing, I suggest using a thick strap with this bass (however, I'm a teenager, I'm not that strong). I did originally have a Highway One Jazz, but the neck pickup was totally dead, so I sent it back to Fender. They have since refunded that bass, and put it towards this one. Compared to the Highway One, for me, this bass is superior. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on january 29, 2009

Features: The Fender Mexican J Bass I'm reviewing has 20 frets, on a slim J Bass neck. It's got a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays, and a skunk stripe on the back. It's got all your regular J bass appointments, with two J bass pickups to a two volume and one tone knob. It has a very nice Electron Blue finish, very classy looking. // 8

Sound: This bass is great for my style, which is a mish-mash of classic rock and Indie. I use this bass for everything, although it's mostly used for some form of rock, and Indie like Death Cab For Cutie. I use it in front a Fender Rumble 75, and a tiny Fender practice amp, and either way it sounds good. This bass has a very versatile tone, from bright funk, to super-warm rock bass tones. With this bass you can get all sorts of useable tones, great for all genres. With the tone rolled down you get a nice deep and warm thumpy tone, great for classic rock. Roll the tone back up, and you've got the tone for Megadeth's "Peace Sells". One of my favorite tones is to roll up the volume on the neck pickup, turn the tone to about 4 or 5. You get a nice warm tone, with some bite if you roll the tone back up a little. Very sweet for Indie, or anything clean. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was okay from the factory, but with a little fiddling I got it where I wanted it. I was pretty surprised because most Fender basses are set-up really well, I guess mine was an exception. The bass didn't have any flaws when I got it, it was pristine. The finish was great, the frets were great, the hardware was great, the nut was great etc. etc. Everything was super tight, I could've gigged with it the day I got it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass survives live playing all the time, it's fine. It's not fragile in any sense. The hardware is tough, not cheap crap. The strap buttons are solid, I haven't had a strap give it out on me before. One thing though is that the neck is starting to warp, and it's not because of extreme humidity or anything, all my other instruments are fine. It's becoming a problem with playability, and I'll probably have to replace the neck soon. Honestly though, I don't think it's an issue with the bass, so much as the conditions. You have to take care of your instruments, which mine wasn't before I got it. Well, I always wanted an all maple neck on it anyways... // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this bass has served me well, and I'm impressed with it. It's worked great for when I play all sorts of rock, and it's hung in there when I play Indie. It sounds great whatever I play, and it's damn good bass in my opinion. If someone stole this bass I would probably go with a Jaguar Bass. I love J basses, but I really dig Jaguar's. If a Lake Placid blue J bass with a maple neck & fretboard came my way though, I'd have to snatch that up. I love the tones I get out of this bass. It's super versatile, and could fit in any gig, whether it be high-voltage pop-punk, to a chill jazz trio, to maybe even a metal gig. There's nothing more I want out of this bass, it's got everything I need, I just wish it didn't need a new neck. It's getting rough to play, and because of it, I haven't been playing bass as much. Overall though, this is a damn good bass for the pricepoint, it has a great tone, and through a sweet bass rig it'll Shine. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Bert_the_Bear, on january 24, 2011

Price paid: € 748

Purchased from: Leo Caerts

Features: Made in Mexico, in 2008-2009 according to the serial number. I bought it in late 2009, so chances that it's a 2009 are high. 20-fret maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. 34" Scale. 2 Single coil passive pickups. Top-loading standard Fender bass bridge. It has 3 knobs: a volume for each pickup and a tone knob. The two single coils are wired in parallel and there's not Switch to wire them in series. However, this modification is fairly easy to do and I plan to install a push/pull in the near future. Mine has got a 3-tone sunburst finish and a 3-ply white pickguard. I wasn't able to find defects in the finish (and I shouldn't be able to, for the price I paid for it). I paid quite a lot for it, but that's mostly due to the store where I bought it. Leo Caerts provides excellent service and perfectly set-up instruments, but it costs somewhat more. It came with a gigbag, hooray. Allowed me to sell my stagg-bag. I never had problems with the stagg-bag, but the Fender gigbag felt like it was higher quality. All in all, it's features are rather basic. However, I don't feel like I 'miss out' on anything, apart from the series/parallel switch. Because of this, I of course can not rate this a 10. However, I think a 7 would be well-deserved. If it had the series/parallel switch, It would have got an 8. // 7

Sound: Don't let it's name fool you. It's called a 'jazz' bass, but it will cope with ANYTHING. Versatility is what brought the jazz bass to where it is now. Basically, you can put it this way: The jazz bass isn't perfect for any genre, but it's pretty damn good at all of them! Having said that, I do have to go more into detail. No, it won't give you the same low growl as a P-Bass does. But it does get close. Different pickups would probably bring you there. The neck pickup brings out a nice low-end, while the bridge pickup fills in the highs. By controlling the volume knobs, and thus the balance between the pickups, you can achieve quite a lot of different tones. Then you've got the tone knob to give you some extra possibilities. Because it's equipped with standard Fender single coils, it picks up hum quite easily. The pickups are wired in anti-parallel though, meaning that when both pickups are used at the same volume, hum is cancelled. Even when not cancelled, the hum is at an acceptable level. I used to play it trough a Ashdown After Eight practice combo (15W, 8") but I recently borrowed a friend's Fender BXR 100 (100W, 15"). The first is a great practice combo, but the BXR really allowed the standard jazz to let itself be heard. When getting this bass, I do strongly advice you to get a decent amplifier. This counts for any bass of this level of sound. A practice combo will do the job, but won't give you what you could get. Do to the immense tonal possibilities, I grant this thing a 8. I believe 9's and 10's are reserved for instruments loaded with better pick-ups and a series/parallel switch. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said earlier, Leo Caerts sells their instruments at a steep price but in return, they set up the instrument perfectly. In fact, it was set up so well that I didn't even bother to look for imperfections until doing this review. The finish is perfect and the screws were all nice and stuff. The bridge is where it should be, and so are the frets. I did notice that the neck pick up isn't placed on the perfect position. It should be about a millimetre more towards the controls. Or perhaps I'm just being too much of a perfectionist there. I did check on the string height and pickup height using some information I found on the internet, only to find out it's all the way it should be. I think a 9 is well deserved. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't usually do any live playing, apart from the occasional family reunion. Never gave me problems on those, so I should rate it a 10, right? Just kidding you. I'm not taking live playing in the equation. The hardware is all very sturdy. Can't imagine anything going wrong with it. I accidently hit a Boss GT-6B multi-effect thing with my jazz bass. The Boss is made out of metal, so logically it did some damage to my instrument. However, it's only a minor dent. I think I got away with it pretty good. I hit walls with my headstock pretty often (small room) and haven't been able to find any traces of it. I have absolutely no idea how I should rate this, so I'll just pick the average of the previous ratings. We've got a 7, an 8 and a 9, so that makes this an 8 as well. // 8

Overall Impression: Since I just play about anything from traditional folk to jazz to progressive metal, but couldn't afford a hundred guitars, I needed something versatile. The Jazz bass fills in perfectly. I admit, I've only been playing for roughly 2 years. I bought the jazz bass about 1,5 years ago, so when I was actually only playing for 6 months. When I bought it, I was probably a bit overwhelmed by it. I previously owned a Epiphone EB-0, which I sold to buy this. I regret selling the EB-0 (for the mere sake of it being my first bass), but I do not regret buying the Jazz Bass. It's all I could possibly want. When I was out to buy it, I compared it to a Japanese Jaguar Bass, which I liked more. However, the jaguar was essentially a Jazz bass with a different body shape and some active electronics, but cost nearly 1000 at that time, which was a third more than the jazz bass. The jazz bass was the better buy, just a bit less for a lot less money. I do wish I had tried a top-range squire as well. For less than half the money, they provide equal sound. Their finish and durability is no comparison though, so after all I do not have any regrets. If I lost this guitar, due to my own fault or do to someone else's, I would probably not get another MIM standard jazz bass, but another jazz bass nonetheless. I'd probably go for a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass or a 5-string standard jazz. Perhaps even a made-in-america. But I do think a jazz bass is something any bass player should own, that's my verdict. I think a 9 is in it's place. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: ElementSkater1, on august 30, 2011

Purchased from: Guitars N Stuff

Features: My Jazz Bass was made in 2006 as part of their 60th anniversary for the bass. It is a MIM, but it doeshas a small badge of authenticity on the back of the headstock. It's got your basic 20 fret, Rosewood fretboard neck. The neck is VERY sleek and easy to manuever, and speaks volumes about the craftmanship that went into it. It has an Alder body with a bolt on maple neck, the Fender standard. Mine has a cream finish that feels pretty thick and well applied. The Offset body is a little odd to play sitting down, but it gets easier as the time goes on. The hardtail bridge on mine was perfectly intonated from the GUITAR STORE, he sets all of them up, so a factory standard might need some TLC. It has 2 basic single coil jazz bass pickups, that are supprisingly robust and bright, my personal preference. You get a Volume/Volume/Tone selection of knobs, the tone being an akwardly smaller knob that looks out of place. The pickups are just a set of standard Fender jazz bass pickups, nothing special. The Fender tuners are suprisingly sturdy on my bass, and can easily keep it in tune. Sadly, you won't get anything extra with it, but you will get a fine bass at a REASONABLE price. To be brief, it's exactley what I wanted. // 10

Sound: For playing a lot of RATM, Anthrax, RHCP, and similar varieties like that, it's a wonderful sound. The bright sound of the pickups please my inner tone demon, and keep me under control. I run mine through a Peavey Basic 112 bass amp with a Marshal Supervibe chorus pedal. The pickups are a little noisy when your close to the amp. The tone differences are a little restricted with the single coil pickups, BUT IF THAT IS THE SOUND YOU WANT THEN GET IT! I can get about three good sounds out of it, a warm rich tone, a brighter chimey-er tone, and a fuzzed out bass-rich tone. All those using only the bass controls. For the restrictions and hum, I'll give it an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is hard to fill in, I bought mine second hand, (The ONLY way to go in my book.) So I don't know about the factory settings or strings. But what I do know is that Mine had none of the afformented flaws usually found in a new instrument. A 9 is fitting considering mine was secondhanded. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very sturdy, unless you were really fooling around onstage, you wouldn't have any problems. The hardware is stuck to the bass well, as far as I can tell. The strap buttons are good, but a locking strap, or straplocks, would improve them quickly. I can depend on it 100%, and I don't need a backup for 2 reasons, 1: the bass is QUALITY, 2: it's the only one I got. The finish is THICK, I perfer a thinner one for the wear, and road worn apperence, so that up to your perference. A 9 is fitting due to it's lack of straplocks. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a pretty wide variety of music, this isn't for metal. But for everything else, it's a match made in heaven, you won't be disappointed. I've been playing bass for 4 years, and I've gone through 4 basses, none have been as good as this. I didn't really have to ask questions because it was exactley what I wanted. I wouldn't lose it or let it get stolen, (Refer to my reveiw of the MXR Fullbore Metal for my policy on stolen equipment). I absolutley LOVE the feel of the neck on this guitar, it has a spectacular feel to it. I only hate the thick finsih on it. But the neck is the best feature on this bass. I didn''t compare because I couldn't afford too. I only had so much money to buy this. Only wish the pickups didn't hum. // 10

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2011

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Paul's Bass Matters

Features: Fender Standard Jazz Bass, Mexican. - Colour: Copper Metallic Burst - Construction Type: Solid body - Neck construction: Bolt on neck - Strings: 4 - Frets: 20, Medium Jumbo - Body: alder - Neck: Maple - Fret board: Rosewood - Fretboard Inlays: Dot inlays - Pickup Neck: Fender Standard Jazz Bass - Pickup Bridge: Fender Standard Jazz Bass - Pickup type: Single coil J - style - Electronics: Passive - Controls: 2 x volume, 1 x tone - Hardware: chrome // 8

Sound: The Fender J-Bass has a good quality sound for the price. It is my third bass and the first that I will beat down to practice slapping. This bass has that good rich sound to make it squeel like a pig. Mostly I play blues, pop and rock. With this bass I can focus on the funk side of music. Open op the neck pickup and let the tone down you get a good dark brown sound for a J-bass. Open up the bridge pickup and you get a nice slapping sound with a dark flavor. Just by controlling the tone you can make that sound into a bright popping sound. Currently I'm playing on a Coxx 60w. I will get a Hartke A35 just to make it sound better. I tried this bass on a Markbass Minimark and it absolutely sounded great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The store that I bought is from had this bass adjusted. The bass was already set to play. The pickups and strings where in the right positioning. Therefore was the action great. After I bought is I tuned it for 3 times because of the new strings. After the last time I didn't had to tune it for 6 weeks. I have the bass for 2 months now. There where no flaws accept the finish of the pickguard and the control plate. It doesn't fit well but it is minor. On some of the American standards I noticed the same. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass is for live. It is a Mexican bass but it is a good quality bass with a good sound. It feels like you can play to the end of your live and pass it on to your grandchildren. You have to be careful not to place it in a dry place because of the rosewood. I think if you maintain it, it will be thankful for to you till death. But you have to be careful picking one. Not all the standard J-basses have that good quality. In my search for a Fender I tried almost all the models I can get my hands on and some of the Mex standards were in bad shape. Not every salesman sends it back. It might be a Fender, it is a Mexican! Be critical and expect quality from a Mexican. The hardware seems like it will last. The strap buttons are ok but I will replace them for strap locks. I won't play this bass without a backup. Not that it isn't reliable. I think it will withstand many of gigs, its just me personal. // 8

Overall Impression: The bass is a good one for all kinds of music. If you need a bass with low-dark sounds I'll suggest a precision bass. For playing overall and slapping/plucking/beating this will be the good choice if you want a Fender and don't have the cash to buy a American. This bass made me suck into the Fender family. My previous basses was the Harmonie... I don't know what the f*ck it called (not particularly a good bass). Second a occasion Epiphone power bass (better but also sh*t). I'm playing for over 8 years, since 4 years in bands and now I have the feeling I own a good bass. I love the color. Every bass I have is black and I needed some color in my live. The copper metallic burst makes it seem like a brown sunburst but with a sparkle in it. Nice. In my search for a bass I first started with a Ibanez SR700 of SR500. It was to light weighted for me. Than I began my search with Fender. I played Mexican, American, Squier, classic 60's and 70's. American Deluxe (wet dream) and some signature. Just by price quality this is the one for me. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2012

Price paid: C$ 599.99

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: I have a 2010/2011(unsure of this) made in Mexico. Maple neck with maple fingerboard, I got the gorgeous Candy Apple Red color. I treat like a baby, I clean the fingerprints off every time I use it, polish it once a month. So easy to string up with new strings, easy to tune, easy to work on a saddle if necessary. It came with a gig bag. I got a hardshell for Christmas though. // 10

Sound: It suits my style for a nice mix of top, middle and bottom end. I play in a school band as I am only 14. It caters to every sound I need for that band going through an old 100 watt amp at school. At home I use a Tech21 bass driver and an EV SXA180 teamed up with an SXA250 or SXA100, which every is most convenient since my dad owns a DJ company and has lots of gear. That is where my pride and joy sounds come out of is that combo. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly tuned and set-up when I got it. Pickups and everything worked straight out of the gate. Action did not require any maintenance of any type. The frets stick out about 2mm's from the top of the neck. Making it a bit rough. I don't have any issues with it as I don't play my bass upside down. The action is very very fast and easy to play on. I could not want anything more from this bass. Other than a twin so I have another one to rock out on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will definitely withstand lots of live playing. Hardware is still 100%. I've only had the bass for 5 months though. The strap button on the top pops out. that's the one thing that I am getting fixed right away for my school tour. I would definitely go for numerous gigs without a backup for this bass. // 9

Overall Impression: At home, I play along to rock songs, at school in the band I play more blues type which is one category that the jazz bass rocks in, as well as rock and roll. I started really focusing on playing bass about 2 months ago and now I can play a few Rush songs all the way through. (the easier ones) ex. "Red Barchetta", "Freewill", "Far Cry", "The Trees". // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014