Standard Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 03/26/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Standard Precision Bass
Alder Body. Maple Neck. Standard Machine Heads. Rosewood Fingerboard. 20 Medium Jumbo Frets. 1 Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid). Volume, Tone Controls. Chrome Hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 8.1
reviews (12) pictures (4) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: bassgtr25, on march 28, 2005

Purchased from: Whitaker Music

Features: This was made in 2004 in Mexico. It's a 20 medium jumbo rosewood fretboard. The top is solid and laminated, and finger prints don't get shown easily. The body style is Strat, but is slightly bigger than a Statndard Strat guitar. I'm pretty sure the electronics are passive, and it has a tone and volume selector. Split P-Bass pickups. Over all its preety eye-pleasing and its size isn't to small and not to big. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My action was set up pretty good from the factory. I have no compalaint at all, besides the fact that the truss rod was a little to curved, so it was really hard to push down the strings. You can fix that easily though. I've had no problem with the nut or saddles, and everything fits pefect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this live, since I already have. It sounds great and I had no problems. I accidently wacked my headstock on my friends drum symbol and it didn't leave a scratch. The strap buttons are solid, but I've nad one mishap here my stap hole near the neck came off while I was playing and it hit me in the foot. The finish if good, and it looks really nice if you use guitar polish on the neck and body. I would definitly use it on a gig w/out a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing it for almost a year and it still sounds and looks great. If it were stolen I would buy the same bass, but maybe would get an American model. My favorite feature is that the neck is really fast and is great to play on I compared it to an Ibanez sound gear, and I choose the Fender because it had a better sound and feel. The only thing I wish it had was a Jazz Bass pickup under the P-Bass pickup, because I think that that would improve its sound even more. I would definatly recomend it to anyone who plays punk rock rock style of music. // 10

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2004

Features: This bass was made in Japan. It's your standard P-Bass, 20 frets, single split pick-up, 1 volume control, 1 tone control and, basically all of the hardware was standard Fender stuff, no fancy Schaller tuners or anything. I don't know what to say... HEY! It's a Precision Bass, we all know what they're about, they're over 50 yrs old, so I won't go over all of the features. It does the job good. Not very wersitile, but it does what it does good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Baaaad action, all of the bridge saddles were on different heights and the nut was poorly cut, the A string kept poping out! The finish was neat and flawless, no marks and the body paint job was even. The Pickups!!! They were falling out!!! But after a set up and some adjustments, the bass plays perfectly fine. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This bass is amazing. The finish is really good, even though I've cracked and chiped it accidentally while gigging. For some reason (p-basses have got a reputation for this,) this bass never goes out of tune! It has been though non stop gigging, jamming, it's probably done 1000 miles distance in which it's travelled with me! It is so reliable. I play without a backup. P.S. This thing could survive a nuclear holocause! // 10

Overall Impression: ...blah...blah...blah... get a Precision Bass... // 10

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: MorganBAss, on june 09, 2007

Features: Mine is a Japanese reissue 1962 Fender P-Bass, in old cherry red. manufactured 2005. Your standard P-Bass charcteristics: rosewood finger board, with Vintage style american split single-coil pickup (middle), alder body, 20 frets, maple neck, one tone and volume and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. I personaly use flat strings on my bass, which is the only thing I have changed. I have a black leather studded strapfor my bass, real heavy duty. // 9

Sound: I personally play pretty much anything from metal, punk and rock, with plectrum or none and it always sounds great. The sound is always crisp and depending on how and what your playing I think it's a very good all-round bass. At the moment I'm running the bass through a Samick SM-258 amp, probably not the best for this particular style bass. I find my current amp, makes the sound dirty and it looses the full sound that it should have while using a plectrum, however sounds brilliant when playing something like Orion - Matellica. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: perfect quality, good weighting to it, perfect finish, like I side previously immaculate condition, couldn't find anything wrong with it, and that was after buying it second hand. There were no misalignments, no oxidisations or loose tuning pegs. Just perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Because of the type of bass I have, my personal opinion is more of a collectors mentality. However, this bass would deffinitely be something that would last. Solidly built to last as long as they are taken care of. You can always expect normal wear and tear if they are played alot. Would deffinitely at this stage be able to play this style of bass at a gig without a backup, but perhaps not a few years down the track. The finish is excellent and would deffinitely be something that would last wuite sometime. // 9

Overall Impression: I haven't been playing long, but I have sampled a number of basses, such as squiers, yamahas etc before I bought this one, and this is the style that suits me best. It's the right weight, it has a great sound and just an overall beautiful bass. I think it's perfect for those Who are still learning but require something a little more sturdier and better sounding than a cheaper brand. If it was stolen or lost I think I would be in mourning for quite sometime before I had the energy to go out and buy another. The only thing I would like to change is for it to have two pickups, but because it's a Vintage style bass, with a Vintage colour, it's the kinda of bass that you have for your own enjoyment. // 9

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: Mojolightnin, on january 20, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn shop in SC

Features: Red '95 Standard Fender Precision Bass, MIM, white pickguard, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, 29 frets, single typical P-Bass offset pickup. Two knobs, volume and tone. Chrome hardware, seems to be of high quality, no problems there. Frets are nice and smooth, no jagged edges. // 10

Sound: Awesome full sound, very high output. I have used it through a direct box, straight into our mixer, through a lot of different amps, even through a Peavey guitar amp at low volume, miked. Currently through a Marshall 100w combo with a 15" and a horn. I roll the tone beck to 7 or 8 or so to take a little of the brightness off. Very versatile, I don't see why you couldn't play any kind of music with this bass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the pawn shop, the set-up wasn't too bad, but I left it in my trunk in freezing weather a couple of times. I changed the string about 3 years (!) after I bought it - I'm a guitar player, remember, I didn't play it that much, bought it initially mainly so somebody wanting to jam with me would have a bass to play...I put new strings on it recently, since I'm playing bass now. I put on Dunlop 45-105s, mainly because they weren't too light or too expensive... It had one chip in the paint near the back strap button, and was missing one of the metal ferrules that goes around the tuner post. I got the ferrule free from a huge box of "junk" at my local music store...funny thing, the Jazz Bass I bought in a pawn shop was also missing one of these... I got some extras... I recently did a set-up job on my own...sighted the neck, and adjusted the truss rod, straightened it out, then adjusted the saddled heigth, then the intonation, then the pickups...it was the first time I ever adjusted a bass, and it was easy... // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's rock solid, stays in tune, I wouldn't think twice about gigging without a backup, if I had to...I always try to have a backup in case something strange happens, the show must go on...this thing is probably the most rock-solid feeling instrument I've ever owned...I've never even thought twice about letting other people play it, I just clean it up afterward... // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, metal, just about anything except country. I've been playing guitar for about 30 years, self-taught. Haven't played a lot of bass, just sporadically until the last 3 months or so. If I lost it somehow, I would look for another. If I find another for a steal like I git this one, I'd probably just go ahead and buy it. I like the fact that it has a loud, punchy, high-output sound, stays in tune, like my trusty Tele. // 9

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2004

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound, Sheffield

Features: My Standard Precision Bass was made in Mexico 1998, so not as good as an american one but better than a japanese model. 20 fretted rosewood fingerboard, 1 standard Fender style plastic volume knob, and the same again for the single tone control knob. I would have preferred a chrome knobs but these can be sorted later. Solid, sturdy bridge and single split pick up, just standard passive Fender pickups. Laminated top, in sunburst effect. Non locking tuners, don't know their make but their big n fat, like the bass ;) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Good action, mine was second hand though, but even so the bridge is fine, as well as the pickups. The finish is smooooooooooth, theres a few dings here and there but they're obviously from the previous owners ventures. Like I have said above, the only problem is the pickups give a little bit of feedback (not a lot) when its not being played. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to use my P-Bass live (hopefully soon I will be gigging with it though) but its fell over about three times now, from being stood up and theres no damage to it whatsoever, not even a scratch, I can't even imagine what the previous owner had to do to get the dings in it that he created :-| The hardware seems to be built like a rock, and the finish is as perfect as day one. The strap buttons sometimes need screwing back in. Its a good dependable bass, and I wouldn't need a backup at a gig in my opinion. It never goes out of tune too, which is always a good thing, even after its fell over it didn't go out of tune :O It gets transported via car every monday about 5 miles as well to my friends house to jam, and its still in the same tuning at my friends house as I left it in when I left my house. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing bass about 5 month now, owning an SG look-alike (EBO model technically) bass before this P-Bass, and I would have to say how much better this bass is, as well as being better than a lot of the basses I have tried in Academy of Sound. If it got stolen, I'd definetely replace it (if I had the money). In the shop, I compared it to a Squier P-Bass and a Fender jazz bass and I would say its so much better than both, obviously better than the Squier but I thought perhaps the jazz bass would have been better. Turns out I was wrong, the P-Bass has got a much better roar to it. I initially went in for an Epiphone Thunderbird but I'm glad they didn't have any in stock that day, or I wouldn't have gotten my (much) better precision bass :D // 8

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on april 06, 2004

Features: It has 20 frets, 4 strings, a standard P-Bass pickup, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, pickguard, maple fret board, Strat Body style, a regular bridge that you string on the same side of where you play, regular tuners, normal frets. Came with gig bag. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It's alright in action, kind of slow though. The pickguards are adjusted perfectly, they fit in with my playing style and finguring. Everything seems to be built right except the bridge rises incredibly fast, the knobs weren't fastened on completed and fell off, and the jack wasn't put in right and I've had to fix it every once in a while. The pickguard is also falling off. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's great reliabilitly wise it's great, it never quits while I'm playing, the electronics never really mess up, but it scratches easily and stuff falls off a lot. Nothing really big though. // 4

Overall Impression: I play everything from Godsmack to Green Day. It matches everything well, but not great. This is my first bass and only, I'm looking for a new one so I've tried a lot of others, this bass is just an average bass for beginners. I wish i would have asked more about it before buying it though, if I could have taken for a year long test run, I would have took decided not to buy it. I like that it gets me and all around good sound, but I hate that it's falling apart. What can you expect?, it's a starter bass. // 6

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2005

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, the bridge was totally messed up. I couldn't go beyond the 5th fret on the E string, the buzz was so bad that I couldn't play a song. When I adjusted the bridge, it wouldn't stay, it would sink back down. I had to order a specific part for the bridge from Fender. The original pickups were set up well though. Oh and the volume knob has fallen off twice. Now that I've replaced the pickups and fixed the bridge, the guitar sounds great. But I have to rate it on what it was like I bought it, and that was terrible. // 4

Overall Impression: It matches the style of music I play (punk, rock, pop-rock). I've been playing bass for 3 years now. I used to own a Squier P-Bass and a Mark Hoppus Precision Bass but I sold both so I could buy more guitars. This is my only bass right now. I own an Ampeg SVT-810HPC cabinet, Ampeg SVT-3PRO head, Korg Rack Tuner, a Power Conditioner, and an SKB roadcase. There is nothing I wished I had asked before I bought the bass. If it were stolen, I would definitley buy another assuming it was set up correctly this time around but if I had the money to buy an American P-Bass I would (who wouldn't). I love the sound I get now with the new pickups. It is very reminiscent of Mark Hoppus and Ian Grushka. I hate the fact it's not a string-thru body. I also hate that the bridge was so messed up, it shouldn't have been. My favorite feature is definitley the new pickups, they sound amazing. I compared it to a Mexican Jazz Bass. I bought this one because I prefer the sound of the Precision Bass. I wish it had a string-thru body, that's really it. If you are going to buy this bass, take my advice and replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound Pickups. They are very hard to find in stores (I called every Sam Ash and Guitar Center within a 2 hour radius of me and only 1 store had it) but it is very well worth it to get them somehow. // 8

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: I purchased this bass from a friend in another band so it had some use on it when I got it. I've been playing bass since 1970, and have played virtually everything, but always come back to Fender. The build date on this Mexican made P is 1998, and when I got it it was all stock, and sounded pretty good, this was the first Mex. P I have played, and it's damn good! The neck is one of the best I've ever played, the action had been adjusted several times, and the bridge isn't that great (but then Fender bridges never were), I put a Gotoh hi-mass on it, and now it's got better action than my Rick. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this one used, so I can't rate the factory settings, but Fender is usually pretty good at factory set-ups. As for fit and finish, it was excellent with no neck adjustments needed even after I refinished the body (purple isn't my color). Everything in the wiring works fine, and nothing has fallen off yet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This has become my first choice for gigs, it feels good plays great, and is light enough to play a 90 min. Set without killing your shoulder. Lately I've been usuing this bass withought a backup, and have no problems with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play prog, through an Ashdown 5-15 for practice, and an old 250 watt Hi-Watt head with a 4X15 cab, and it sounds great through both. I've been playing for 35 years and this is one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played. I also own a 4001Rick, and a 79 J bass, and I haven't picked up either one since I got this. I would definately look for another if this got lost or stolen, but since it's an older model, I'd be surprised to find another Mex. // 10

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: noahray, on may 01, 2006

Sound: Despite popular belief, this bass will fit almost any style of music. If you have an EQ on your amp, this bass can fit virtually any style of music. I play out of an old Fender BXR200 when not gigging. I play either Jazz/new age stuff or moderate rock, I try to avoid tuning down often. I will tell you, though, that if you change to flat wounds this bass is a lot more resonant and tonal than a J bass. I play my P Bass for the school Jazz band over the school's J bass. This bass has a sweet low end, being surprisingly clear without getting too muddled. The higher tones lack the balls I like in a bass, but sound fine when playing more punk style. I played it through my friends Morley Wah for about a year; when he took it back I had withdrawls like a smoker going cold turkey. I bought a Lyon Wah at target, and it sounds alright, but better than nothing. I also bought an Arion Bass Distortion pedal from Musicians Friend so I could make free shipping. It's not bad for 13$, but if you are serious about playing some heavy ass bass I suggest either a Big Muff or a Distortion Factory. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used, everything was set up already. All I did was raise the pickups so they would be a tad bit louder. Adjusted the intunation as well. One of the tuning keys rattles as well, but rather than replace it I put a rubber band around it and another key to stop the rattling, now you can only hear it when unplugged. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will survive WW III. I would feel more comfortable wielding this axe in the face of battle than any automated weapon. I know the hardware will last. When I bought it, it was dinged up pretty bad, but I have added my fair share of chips and dents. I failed a guitar spin miserably at my school talent show, sent the guitar 12 feet into the air, and it landed with only a loss of about 3 inches of paint. Broke the cable though. You cannot harm this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can be made to fit any style of music. I've played this bass about 4 years now, from my first Blink riff to Stu Hamm, sounds sweet all around. I would get another P Bass in a heartbeat if this one was lost. I never have to worry about destroying it, if a car hit me while I was wearing it I would worry about the passengers. I compared it to a couple Epiphones, a few Deans, and the only thing that sounded noticeably better for ~300$ more was an 8 string custom. If you think yours sounds like bad, than you need to change the strings. This is the best bass for your buck. Buy it used and don't worry about the factory setting bullshit. // 9

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2007

Features: The bass I'm reviewing is a midnight wine '98 Standard P-Bass, made in Mexico. It is totally factory minus the white pickguard, which has been replaced with a black one, and chrome knobs. 21 fret bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, the neck shape is about average for a bass, not too thick, but still wide enough and very substantial. The body is ash I believe and is finished in a maroon type color called midnight wine. Only 1 passive tone and volume control, but despite being simple, it has a huge tonal range. The pickup is a signature humbucking split P, which is expected on a P-Bass. The tuners are a little big, and therefore get knocked out of tune a bit easier than most basses. The bridge is barely acceptable which is why this gets an 8 not a 9. // 8

Sound: This bass is the standard sound for almost any type of music, simply put, I would use it for anyting. It normally gets run through a 60watt amp with 1 15inch speaker, and it is not at all muddy. I have s DigiTech bass modeling pedal, but I don't use it much with this bass, however, it can handle a bit of distortion if needed. Nothing is noisy on this bass, however when I turn the tone knob up when using any smaller of speakers, the treble can get a little too scratchy. Almost any sound that I want can come out of this bass, it isnt a perfect impressionist, but it can do a variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have it set up pretty good now, I got it used so I don't know what it was like from the factory. My only complaints are of a single noticable scratch, and a less than mediocre, but acceptable bridge. Otherwise this bass is solid like a rock, a titanium rock! Everything is very easy to adjust and generally stays adjusted for ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar with no backup, of course we weren't playing "London Calling". The hardware is nearly indestrutible, mainly because of its beautiful simplicity. The strap buttons for some reason did not work well for me at all, even though they looked identical to every other strap buttons in the world. so I replaced them with straplocks, and everything is good. As stated, it has 1 real scratch. The finish is amazing. I would feel confident cutting down a tree with this axe, plugged in! // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything and the bass does everything. I've been playing 3 years and also own an Ibanez gsr200, which despite the begginer bass tag, is not too shabby. If it was stolen, I would probably get a P-Bass Special with the 2nd pickup, or I might get another standard. I love everything about it, ecxept for the fact that it was not made in the '60s. My favorite feature is the neck, necks on jazzes and ibanezes are just too thin and not substantial enough, while other basses, like the Epi/Gibson Thunderbird have necks that are just too big. I compared it to a Standard Jazz Bass, my Ibanez, an Epi Thunderbird, a Squier P Special, a Squier J, and a Yamaha, all in the $300 range. I chose this bass simply because it felt better than all the other I tried. The Yamaha was a close 2nd. The only things I wish it had were a bridge humbucker, and a tremolo. I know there is no need for a bass tremolo, but it would still be pretty sweet. Oh and I wish it was covered in gold leaf, and chocolate syrup, and women, and money, and food, and the cure for aids (which I would sell), but it is just a bass. // 10

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: iplaydabass, on march 20, 2008

Features: This is my main bass and it was made in Mexico in 1994. It has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard complete with 20 frets. It is a solid body as all Fender P-Basses. It has a solid black finish, with a reddish wavy style pickguard (kinda like those dark red Fender guitar picks). The body is your standard P-Bass style, with active EMG P/J style pickups (meaning that there are the regular P-Bass style pickups with a Jazz Bass style pickup near the bridge). I had it fitted with a better bridge that my dad's friend uses when he builds basses. There are four knobs that control volume, tone (P pickups), tone (J pickups), and mid-boost. All other hardware like tuners and stuff are the regular stock Fender parts. I keep it safe in a SKB heavy duty hardshell case. // 10

Sound: This is probably my most versatile bass. I can use it with almost every kind of music I play. Which is great because I play everything from Jazz one day, to rock the next. I mainly use this with my Gallen-Krueger 400RB-III head with my stack consisting of SWR Workingman's 2X10 and 1X15 bass cabinets. Sometimes I like to use a bit of distortion with it from my Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, and Chorus from my Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus. The pickups are noiseless style pickups so it has virtually no extra unwanted noise going around. This bass has the abilty to get that old school P-Bass sound, yet I just turn the J Pickups up and it sounds much like Victor Wooten's bass sound. So I have the option of getting some warmth without having to switch to another bass for a more bright sound. This is also an awesome bass for funk/slap bass. It just sings no matter what I play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had this bass set up by a guy named Al Farnell. He is amazing and set up this bass with very low action compared to most basses. it's fortunate that my bass can play with such low action without buzzing and stuff. The pickups are really well set-up, even and full sounding. Everything technical wise was set-up too by Farnell. Nothing seems to really give me any problems. It is pretty much in top notch shape. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used the bass on countless gigs, and it has never let me down. It is a relatively new bass, and the hardware looks like new, so I am not at the moment concerned with it. Everything is solid and in it's place. Varying on the gig I mostly use it without a backup. It is both a beauty and a tough sailor. Looks Brand New and so far hasn't worn off any since I bought it 3 years ago. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is the best. It is versatile, and can hold up to this review. I have been playing bass for six and a half years, and can say this bass is my most played bass guitar. I have other bass like a Custom Carvin 5-String and a 1976 Fender Fretless P-Bass, and they are all amazing, but are not as versatile as my 1994 Fender P-Bass. Personally I would be heartbroken if it was stolen. It's a one-of-a-kind to me. I would most certainly shell out whatever money would be needed to buy it back from pawn shop and stuff. There is nothing I hate about this bass. I just happened to see it at a music store and knew after playing it that it was the one. // 10

Standard Precision Bass Reviewed by: gingerbraface, on march 26, 2014

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Comes with a volume and tone control, as you'd expect for a bass with one pickup. I'm surprised at how close the Mex sounds to the USA. With a bit of an upgrade to the electronics (which I did but was not a requirement) it can easily sounds as good as a USA P-bass at only about a £60 extra cost. If you spend a bit of time setting it up the way you like, this is a really good bass. A lot better value than the American Standard for sure! This bass is passive and doesn't have a pre-amp, which some may desire. I personally don't think it really needs it. But if you really want a bass for a pre-amp, maybe look elsewhere. The cost of adding one in (I think) would put the total cost (if you want the better electronics as well) well into the £500 mark, maybe even £600. I personally think that's a bit steep. But it wouldn't be a complete rip off. // 9

Sound: I really like the P-bass for funk. I prefer it over the Jazz bass because it doesn't lose all of it's bottom end when you pop the G string. For me it's a really good sounding bass. It is still my primary live bass and will remain that way until I get my Ricky fitted with strap locks. Even then, I'm still going to use this P-bass along side it. Volume is consistent along all 4 strings. The one pickup does fine. For the price it's hard to complain. Though I would really like it if Fender released a MIM PJ-Precision or a MIM Jaguar. Just for a bit of extra tonal range. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was pretty good out of the factory. I did raise it ever so slightly for the thicker strings I put on. But for the strings it came with it, was spot on! The inlays are all flush with the neck, which is not something I've seen before or since on a > £500 bass. I'll admit, the basses below that price that I've played are mainly Epiphone and Squiers. But it still seems to be a challenge to get right on cheap basses for some reason. A couple of the frets required a very slight file to level them to get rid of slight imperfections. Though this was more me nit-picking than a real problem with the bass. It played fine without the filing. Not much to complain about out of the factory at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only thing I could complain about is that the stock nut is a bit weak. I've had the bass for a couple of years now and the nut has worn down a lot on the E string. It means that now the E string is to close to the fretboard. So it buzzes a little bit when I play louder. Though this is not a huge issue. I play this bass a hell of a lot. So many string changes have not helped the nut. It's a minor complaint at best. One of the strap buttons has also come slightly loose (not fallen out mind you!) with all the putting on and removing of straps over 2 years. Though again, not many stock buttons would last this level of use! I'm still going to give it 9, just because I don't think any bass would survive this level of use very well. It's also very easily mended, which is a huge thumbs-up from me! // 9

Overall Impression: If not this bass, then one of the other P-basses Fender makes is a must in your bass arsenal. It's a tough cookie. On the off chance you do damage it, it can usually be fixed with a cocktail stick and a screwdriver! It's ease of use and maintenance is it's biggest selling point for me. It makes it a tank of a live bass. The sound is quite good for bunging through a few effects as well. It's fat tone means it doesn't lose all of it's guts when plugged into a distortion. I fully intend to get another one of these to customise a bit! There aren't many basses I would say are worth the price, but this is one of them! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014