Starcaster Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/29/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Starcaster Jazz Bass
For any kind of classic rock this thing is perfect. The neck on this is the best I've ever played. If you're a beginner and you want something to learn on and won't outgrow anytime soon, I suggest this bass.
 7.5
 6.8
 8.1
review (1) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Starcaster Jazz Bass Reviewed by: !..!_Rock_!..!, on february 29, 2012

Purchased from: ebay.com

Features: Made in Indonesia, 2010. - 20 frets. - Maple neck. - Rosewood fingerboard. - Black finish. - Fender J-bass body style. - 2 passive single coil pickups. - 2 volume controls, 1 tone control. Came with gig bag, strap, 10 ft cable, and pocket amp. // 5

Sound: I play all different kinds of rock and a little metal. For rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, GNR) it's just fine. For metal it doesn't quite have that aggressive tone. I play through a cheap 20 watt amp with no fx at home but through a good amp and speaker it has a great quality sound. Being single coils the pups have a slight buzz but if the volume knobs are at the same level, the buzz cuts out (that means they're reverse wound I think). I can get quite a range of sounds messing with the tone and volume knobs but the volume knobs are a little too drastic at changing volume, but they're workable. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was playable out of the box but it needed some work. (Having it delivered in winter didn't help). The action was too high and the the neck was bent too much and the pickups were uneven. As far as materials and hardware go, everything was great and still is after a year of playing almost every day. No bad wiring, no fret problems, nothing. Only thing I can think of is that the screws for the pickguard were not totally put in right. None were stripped or anything but the holes weren't drilled exactly perpendicular to the body. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played live a couple times and this thing is totally reliable. The tuning pegs are solid and it stays in tune really well. The hardware will last forever on this thing. The strap buttons were rock solid and I didn't need to but I put straplocks on just for safety. I have and will in the future use this without backup. The finish hasn't worn anywhere and even though I've banged this around a lot, I only have one dent. And that just got put there two days ago. // 10

Overall Impression: For any kind of classic rock this thing is perfect. I have been playing music for five years but I got this a little over a year ago and taught myself. I've played about an hour a day for most of that time. I've never had a problem with this bass so I would definitely get it again if something happened to it. (I might get a P-Bass though just to have something different). The neck on this is the best I've ever played. I even played an MIA Fender J-Bass and I still like my neck better. I really can't ask for anything else from a bass except maybe some different features. Not better just different. If you're a beginner and you want something to learn on and won't outgrow anytime soon, I suggest this bass. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014