ME105 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 02/24/2012 category: Bass Guitars
First Act: ME105
Double cutaway solid basswood custom body shape for rich full sound. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard for solid feel and warm tones. Classic sounding split single coil pickup. Chrome tuning gears for accurate tuning. Volume and tone controls for quick and easy access to sound tweaks.
 Reliability & Durability: 3.7
 4.2
 4.5
 3.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
ME105 Reviewed by: Duff_McGee, on october 31, 2005

Features: - Made in China - 20 frets - Passive pickups - 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob - P-Bass style pickup configuration - Regular tuners. // 5

Sound: I play metal and this bass doesn't quite pull it off. If you're looking for a punchy sound, this ain't your bass. I use a Fender Rumble 100 and not even it can make this sound good. I've gona through three amps with this thing and nothing can save it. It's very noisey now all of a sudden, probably the grounding wire has become disconnected. This bass isn't very versatile in any sense. No matter what you're going for, the thing's sound doesn't chagne too much, it's just a flat dull sound all the way around. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up for this bass's action was the shittiest thing I've ever seen. The pickups were fine and I would say the the bridge was well routed but after a year this thing died and now pops and buzzes like a motherfucker now. The bass did not contain any flaws when I got it but it now contains dents and scratches like crazy due to my own carelessness, but I noticed this bass is very receptive to scratches. The body wood I'm not quite sure of, but it sucks, this thing has a sustain of about 0.34 seconds. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This thing would not withstand a gig, that is, if you weren't dragged off stage and beaten due to the horrible sound of this thing. The hardware is fine except for the crap grounding wire in in the bridge. I would not use this bass in a gig without a backup because I wouldn't use at all. It's dark blue sparkly finish, as I said before, is very vunerable to scratches. // 1

Overall Impression: I play metal and some classic rock and this bass just makes me cry inside. I've been playing for over a year and I knew form the get go I shouldn't have bought this piece of super low end crap. Like I said, not even my sweet Fender Rumble 100 will make this bass sound good, nor will the other 3 amps it's been through. I wish I would have known anything about First Act and it's notorious love for sucking horribly. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't lose any sleep at night, I'd just work buy me a nice ESP and laugh at how bad the theif must feel for having the biggest piece of crap ever. Folks, when it comes down to it, this is one of the worse basses in history. Stay away. Far away. // 3

ME105 Reviewed by: James_M_Hendrix, on december 02, 2005

Sound: I play metal\blues and it does nothing for me. I used an Drive 20 watt combo from Musiciansfriend. I have never heard such a sucky noisy pickup in my life. The sound I get out of this thing are nowhere close to what a bass should sound like. All I hear is buzzing and a few notes occasionally. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up is horible. The strings were dead when I got the bass. The pickup had to be replaced becouse of the noise. The only thing that was right was the bridge was routed right. The finish is decent. The frets are pointy and have to be filed the intonation was really far off and like I said before the whole thing is made of plywood. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This bass wouldn't make it through the first song at one of my gig's. The hardware is substandard and always coming loose. The strap bottons fell off at one of my bass lessons. I couldn't depend on this bass to be a backup bass for me. The finish won't chip as easy as everything else breaks on it. // 1

Overall Impression: As I said before I play metal and it does nothing for me. I have been playing guitar for a little under 5 years and Bass for about a year. I also own a Fender P-Bass and J-Bass. If I had a chance I wouldn't have bought it. I would pay somebody to steal this guitar from me. I don't like anything about this bass when I got it. I compared this to a Squier P-Bass Special. It was nothing compared to the Squier. The only reason I kept it was to upgrade it. I put a seymore Duncan pickup in it. I replaced the bridge. I had it refretted. I had the tuners replaced with Ping tuners and I had the entire bass rewired. All in all I would have rather bought the Squier if I had the money to. // 1

ME105 Reviewed by: PatrickThalerMs, on february 24, 2012

Features: Made in China. 20 Frets. P bass pickup configuration. The original bridge was a P Bass bridge, but I upgraded to a Leo Quan Badass Bass II Bridge. // 7

Sound: Well, I play Rock, not any other way to say then just say Rock, and this bass suits pretty well for, I did have to set up my bridge, and and adjust the pickups and the truss rod, but that's to be expected with a new bass. It sounds great, nice and punchy, has good pop, love to slap on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I already said, set up from the factory was pretty normal for a new bass, so I had to adjust it to my liking, but that's to be expected. It's really just a very decent guitar, has one of the smoothest necks I've ever played, and I must've gotten lucky, because the rosewood on my fret board is gorgeous. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played with this bass live many times with my Ampeg stack and it has never let me down, I've had it for two years and never had a problem with it, not gonna be easy to find a bass with as much character this one has. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I really love this bass, and I'll have it till the day I die, these other guys must've just been unlucky and gotten bad basses, and hey, there's nothing wrong with buying a cheaper bass and putting some new electronics, bridge, etc.. // 10

More First Act reviews rating category latest review