Les Paul Special Bass Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 06/02/2004 category: Bass Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Special Bass
Les Paul Special Bass has a classic look and solid performance combined with basic functionality.
 8.9
 7.7
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Special Bass Reviewed by: Hound_Of_Winter, on june 02, 2004

Features: - Mahogany Body, no top, Les Paul-style - Close to a P-Bass proportioned Mahogany Neck; Truss Rod; non-Locking Schaller Tuners, stacked 2+2-tyle - Ebony Fretboard (w/Mother-of-Pearl dot inlays) - 20 Low-Wide Frets - Dual Black Humbucker Pickups - Active Electronics (9-volt system) - 4 Knobs: Volume, Pickup balance, Treble Cut/Boost, Bass Cut/Boost - Bridge w/Saddles for each string (not-through body) - Laminated Cherry Finish // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this thing froma music store used so the setup was probably different from the factory setup. It was setup for playing slap from what I can tell, with wide string spacing. I adjusted this to be a little closer and lowered the action (I like to play chords and octaves). The pickups were adjusted normally, neck pickup being nice and low & the bridge pickup was real high, near the strings. All I have to say is that the setup doesn't matter because seemingly everything is adjustable on this instrument. The finish is beautiful was no cracks from its 11 years of existence and it's age VERY slowly, I put it next to my friend's brand new Gibson Les Paul Guitar (which is in Cherry, as well) and it's the same tone and color. Good job Gibson. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing has taken a bit of crap from me alone and it's still kicking like it's never left the factory. No scratchy pots. I can't tell you how many times it's hit it's neck on something and it hasn't phased it a bit. I been playing live the whole time I've owned it, 1 tour without a case, just a gig bag! It's built to last, you know why? It's a Gibson. I gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the bass for me. The only other bass I want to add my collection (of 1) is a Rickenbacker 4003 for it's Trebly tone. I played Precisions & I played Jazzes & I played Stingrays. They all sound so cheap after I play my Gibson again. I'll never sell it. If someone steals it, I'll go nutters. Then buy a Les Paul Bass Standard. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014