SG Standard Bass Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 08/05/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Gibson: SG Standard Bass
The sound on this bass is excellent. It is very deep, but can be surprisingly versatile. Overall this bass is amazing, there isn't anything I can think of that needs to be improved.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
SG Standard Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2011

Features: Made in the USA.
- 21 frets w/ rosewood fretboard
- Solid top
- Body and neck wood is Mahogany
- Body style is SG
- Bridge style is Tune-O-Matic
- 2 Volume and 1 Tone selectors
- Nonlocking Grover tuners
- Comes with a Gibson hardshell case // 9

Sound: The sound on this bass Is excellent. It is very deep, but can be surprisingly versatile. It has the raw power to shake the windows in my Room running through a 150 watt solid-state amp. I like to play classic rock, but also some singer-songwriter stuff like Jack Johnson. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect action straight out of the box. The Nitrocellulose finish is perfect. The guitar arrived at my house flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass is the perfect gig instrument. I've only had it for about a month, but the finish is perfect and will definitely will last. The strap buttons were replaced immediately with scholler strap locks. I never go without strap locks, they are a 30 dollar investment that can save your instrument from crashing to the floor during a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this bass is amazing, there isn't anything I can think of that needs to be improved. I've been playing guitar for about a year bass only a couple of months. It's very versatile for all kinds of music. I own a Gibson LP Standard and a Dean at the moment. The only slight problem I've had is that there are very few finishes to choose from. It only comes in faded black, faded red, Standard red, and standard peachy color. // 9

SG Standard Bass Reviewed by: ejor31, on august 05, 2014

Features: My bass, purchased in Sept. 2013, used but mint, was made in USA in 2010. It is a short-scale (30,5") set-neck bass with two-piece mahogany body and neck and rosewood fingerboard. The finish is a matt cherry stain, a faded finish. The bass has the classic SG shape and two volume controls and a master tone for the reassuringly large (neck) HB pickup and smaller bridge HB. Mine had been fitted with a Hipshot Supertone bridge which is supposed to improve the sound. The only flaw was a broken con lock on the black Gibson case, but for this price. // 9

Sound: I play rock, country and Great American Songbook (Jazz) with my SG Bass. Through a GK MB-150E and satellite 12" GK box, in effect a mini-rig. I only use one FX pedal, a SansAmp Tech 21 Bass Driver to warm and fatten the tone where required. My reason for writing this review is that this model has largely been the subject of negative reviews. I would like to help correct this. This bass is versatile and covers very well a number of styles. I do not agree that it's "muddy" but yes, it has a deep bass sound-which appears to me to be the point of bass, anyway! I have found this bass at home on different kinds of gigs. Remember, your amp settings are crucial in any event. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought it used, all I had to do was tweak the action and truss-rod to suit my kind of playing. I'm a light player who let the amp do the work for me. I tightened the neck HB screws as there was a slight rattle, but everything else was as it should be. The two pieces of mahogany were not bookmatched and the finish had set differently on each part. This is pronounced at the rear of the bass. However, that's an aesthetic issue and I really cannot complain about my SG as I picked it up for the price of a budget instrument. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a well-built and incredibly light bass (mine weighs... 6lb. 10oz!)and is an uncomplicated guitar with good-quality components that I believe will outlast me! The bass has picked up a few small dings, due to the inherent softness of mahogany but if anything the faded finish copes well with dings-they'd look a lot worse on a gloss nitro finish. I have no idea how long the finish will last, nor do I particularly care. I would depend totally on this bass and I have never brought a backup to a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 20 years and at my age I appreciate the short scale and ease of playing. It is not a Fender and it is pointless to reference it against J & P basses. It is a light, playable, high-quality musical instrument with a voice that's as valid today as it was in the '60s. I love to gig it, and if it were stolen, I would buy another. There is a fancier version with gloss finish and fingerboard inlays that costs 60% more but having played this also, I honestly don't hear the difference. Gibson's SG Faded Bass has to be, all things considered, the very best-value quality US-made bass you can buy and that's saying something. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014