L2500 Review

manufacturer: G&L date: 06/02/2011 category: Bass Guitars
G&L: L2500
L2500 Premium Tribute Series Bass features 2 Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design humbucking pickups, swamp ash body, Hard Rock maple neck with maple fingerboard, open-back traditional tuners, and more.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
L2500 Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on june 02, 2011

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: Avenue

Features: My particular bass is a slightly older (4-5 years) model, I'm not entirely sure as I bought it used and haven't checked the neck pocket yet, but it features the modern specs. This bass is G&L's USA made 2 humbucker, 5 string bass. The body is made out of swamp ash and finished in a translucent orange. The neck is made out of maple with a maple fretboard, and it features 22 frets (I replaced the stock ones with bell-brass medium-jumbo frets). The features a 12" radius, 34' scale length, and a 1 3/4" nut width. This bass features 2 G&L magnetic field humbucking pickups with over-sized pole pieces. The real heart of this bass, however, is the tri-tone active-passive electronic system. This system features knobs for volume, bass and treble, as well as mini-toggles for pickup selection, series/parallel selection and pre-amp selection. The preamp can be selected to operate as a passive unit, an active unit or as an active unit with top-boost. The remainder of the hardware is standard G&L fare: a saddle lock bridge unit which can be strung through the body or the bridge, G&L ultra-light machine heads, and giant, beefy strap buttons. All the hardware is finished in a nice, consistent chrome. It is also worth noting that the bass comes stock with a very nice quality case (appears to be of SKB origins, comparing with other cases I own), for which G&L certainly deserves kudos. Overall then, the parts spec is quite good. Everything is highly useful and well thought out, and there is very little that a working bassist would find superfluous or unnecessary. // 9

Sound: This bass has been my main working bass for the past 4 years, seeing piles of both function gigs and more typical concert type gigs. I have played it through a variety of amps, mostly an Eden NA650, but it seems to produce good results regardless of the amp. Using the bridge pickup alone creates a powerful, biting grind, which one could be forgiven for mistaking as a MusicMan Stingray. Its a very aggressive sound, but it is highly usable because of its ability to cut through virtually any mix. Like other settings on this bass, this setting works best when played fingerstyle, but it sounds good when played with a pick too, almost resembling a rather mean jazz bass. The middle position on the pickup selector is both pickups together, and this is one of my favorite sounds. Its not dissimilar to bridge only tone, but with some added warmth and low end. It sounds almost like a rather good P-bass. This is my go to setting simply because it it bright enough to cut through all but the nastiest of mixes while still having enough bottom end to case accidental bowel movements. It is worth noting however, that this setting is more prone to humming, especially around fluorescent lights. Using the neck pickup alone produces a lovely warm, burbling tone. Its quite a bass-heavy tone, but not so much that it is necessary to roll off the bass. Rather, it is just a very full version of itself. Slap players will appreciate the extra bottom end that this setting has to offer. This is really a very good setting to get classic motown and jazz tones out of the bass. Changing focus to the pre-amp control, the true versatility of this bass begins to become apparent. Running the bass in passive mode warms everything up, and more importantly, softens the dynamics. The attack is softened quite dramatically and the tone sounds quite a bit warmer, darker and looser. Running the control on the middle setting, pre-amp on with no boost, gives the bass a rather classic sound. It still retains some warmth from the passive setting, but it gains a much more aggressive attack, as well a mountains of upper mids and treble. This is where I spent the majority of my time. It sounds more articulate than a classic Fender design without sounding too modern, making it perfect for most styles of music. Finally, switching to the treble-boost setting, the bass immediately sounds quite a bit more modern. This is really the only setting where the bass ceases to sound like a Fender, sounding more like a Spector or an MTD. This is lovely for playing styles that require either great amounts of articulation or great amounts of aggression. Playing with the series/parallel switch, it is possible to hollow-out the tone somewhat. While I never found this particularly useful, I did like the fact that flipping the Switch could help to combat noise issues in some venues. Finally, it is worth noting that, even though its a little floppy in play, the low b remains very tight and articulate when playing. It just sounds absolutely huge, while resisting the urge to become flabby or sloppy sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot comment on the factory set-up of the bass, as it was already older when I got it. However, it is plain to see that there was a great deal of care put into the construction of the bass. The finish is very near perfect, especially on the neck, with hardly any signs of runs or imperfections. Ditto for the chrome work, which is as close to flawless as one can realistically expect. Overall, everything on the bass is finished to a very high standard and everything works the way it should. To me, that's the most important thing in any instrument. Everything was done properly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass is an absolute tank. Over the years it has taken some very serious blows, both from me and the previous owner, and it hasn't faltered once. Sure, the finish has become damaged from some of the harder hits, but the bass is structurally bombproof. Additionally, all the hardware is colossal! Everything on this bass looks like it was made for a tank! Consequently, I have never had any problems what'soever with any of the hardware or electronics on this bass. Even the strap buttons work well without strap-locks (which have since been installed). I wouldn't use this bass without a backup, but that's simply out of principle. I have played dozens of gigs where my backup has just sat on its stand behind my amp while this bass has seen 4 or 5 hours. I have total Faith in this bass's ability to withstand anything that's thrown its way. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass has just been an absolute beast for me for the last few years. It plays brilliantly well, it sounds great, it can play nearly any type of music and it has held up to every bit of abuse. Quite simply, this is my favorite bass. I have played a host of other basses and nothing has quite compared to this one, at least not to my ear. This bass is just "right" for me, everything seems to work the way it should. I would highly recommend any working bassists in search of a highly versatile and reliable 5 string to take a look at this bass. Yes, the price may seems a little high initially, but an instrument like this easily justifies the price tag. This is easily my favorite bass, and I suspect other players will find it to be so too. // 9

L2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2005

Features: G&L L2500 Five string bass, immpeccably crafted. I found nothing to gripe about. Swamp ash top finished in "Blueburst" over maple P-Bass shaped body. Comfortable 9 lb weight. Maple neck with rosewood fretboard. I asked for "no dots" or other fret markers except on the side of the neck to give it a clean look. If I had a few extra bucks I'd prefer ebony; oh well. G&L fabricates their own pickups and they are wicked red-hot! Active electronics with mini-toggles boosting bass (like it really needs it), Treble ( to get a clean P-Bass sound)and another position to disable "active" circuit. They machine their bridges from solid billet brass then chromed plus thru-body strings make this resonate for a week. Weight is balanced so it hangs right where I put it. I don't get it, but they use aluminum string posts on their tuners to save weight. Maybe I guess. // 10

Sound: My style is solid, harmonic. I hold back and let go the statement note. Don't like to not be there. I like to walk it and with the low B, I like to climb from the bottom to cue the vocals. I use a Fender Pro 400 w 2-10's and an Ampeg BA-115 with 100 watts. No effects. The bass has such a wide range of tonal possibilities that I find them unnecessary. Can go from bright and crisp to hard punch to way too fat. Wide, wide, wide range in the bass and treble pots. It's a bit too easy to bumble and get a little muddy in the midrange when I'm in a rush to change tone. Could've used a 1-day seminar to learn the controls but that's half the fun. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect setup from the factory (more like "lab"). Treble side of pickups were set a bit low for me, but a few twists of the adjustable poles fixed that. No craftsmanship flaws whatsoever. The standard strap posts were replaced with Shaller locks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No question about durability. This thing is overbuilt. No need for a backup. In fact, I bring my '73 P-Bass just for stage presence. Finish is a mile deep. Neck fabrication is unique (and strong). // 10

Overall Impression: I wish it had an angled-back headstock. The stock nut is plastic so I plan on replacing it with bone or brass. I'll get an extra hour of resonance out of it. I play in church every Sunday so I need to play many styles get many tones from Hard-Praise-Rock to reverent ballads. No hymns with our band. I've owned this for 10 months and can still find tones I didn't know it had or didn't know I needed. I've played for 25 years from lead guitar in blues bands to string bass in a swing band to Do-Wop to acoustic guitar, mandolin, doghouse bass and dobro in Bluegrass bands with occasional jazz detours to unlock some brain-drain. // 10

L2500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2009

Price paid: C$ 1100

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: My bass is an older one, but I'm not quite sure what year it is exactly but it definately has some miles on it. It is an american made guitar and was made out of figured swamp Ash (non-transparent finished basses are alder)with a maple neck and fingerboard with 22 medium frets and black dot fret markers. It features Fender style open tuners in a 3+2 configuration. Mine is finished in a deep trans Orange and save for the damage caused by the previous owner, it is perfect. The bridge is an absolutely massive string-thru design and the strap buttons are non-locking but truly massive. The electronics on this bass are the key to its versitility: 2 G&L design humbuckers, 1 volume knob, 1 bass knob, 1 treble knob, 3-way pickup selector Switch, 2-way phase Switch (in phase, out of phase) and a 3-way passive/active/active+treble boost Switch. Other than that, the bass comes with a G&L custom moulded hard case (looks and fits just like my SKB P-Bass case... I use them interchangably) // 9

Sound: The core tone of this bass is very much like a P-Bass but with extra body and sustain, which is probably due to the mass of the instrument. The bass has a bright top end and a somewhat muddy bottom end with either pickup when used in the passive mode. The phase control can help this a little bit as it seems to brighten the tone. In active (non-boosted) mode, the bass takes on a character that is more like an older Ibanez soundgear or any other older active bass. On the neck pickup, it sounds big and full with little of the searing brightness on the top end that seems to plague some basses. The bridge unit is very similar, but with added bite and less bass. In active+boost, the bass takes on a much more modern quality that is characterized by bell-like high end and rich, deep lows. It is in no way tinny or thin, this is a big sounding beast! There is also a little growl to be had when using the neck pickup, where the bridge is a little more clinical clean sounding. The phase Switch, again, seems to brighten the tone (almost too much). I never use the pickups together as I do not like the nasal quality it gives the tone. I play in several bands right now ranging from a Ukrainian function band to a modern math-metal band and this bass covers the whole spectrum. I use either a Peavy Tour 700 (Peavy 4X10 and 1X15 cabs) or an SWR (sorry, don't know what it is as its been painted) 450watt combo and I use Rotosound 135 strings. It sounds most at home playing anything fingersyle, regardless of whether it is metal or jazz. The bass just has good tone. However, use a pick and it sounds very blunt and thumpy, think a violin bass. I don't like that. It can also be very noisy if you are neer poor stage lights, but flipping the phase Switch seems to fix that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how the bass was set up from the factory as I'm not the original owner. However, the factory frets (replaced a couple months back) were perfect and there were no signs of any factory flaws in the finish of the guitar and the hardware has an even degree of lustre (something that can't be said of my Fender...). However, what I'm most impressed by is the control cavity: its clean and properly shielded. I'm yet to see a better guitar or bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a tank! Mine has clearly taken some brutal falls, evidenced by there being dents deep enough to shatter the finish and Splinter the wood, and it still works perfectly. My experience shows that the finish is quite sturdy (the last owner must have been a complete hack to do that sort of damage)as I've hit it on things and its been good. I've also taken it cross country and its been really solid. I usually have 2 basses onstage with me for variety, but I would have no reservations about using the bass without a backup. Also, the strap buttons are among the best non-locking I have used, none of those Dunlop plastic strap lockers needed. I have had 2 issues arise though: firstly, the 1/4" jack wore out and I had it replaced with a locking one. I'm rather dissapointed that happened, but its a cheap fix at a shop. Otherwise, buy a battery meter: the battery is hard to get to and there is little notice its about to go. Meters are cheap, and they'll save your ass with your other basses and pedals too. // 9

Overall Impression: I play almost any kind of music but my favorite is definately metal or punk, though I never use a pick. This bass is a great match to my playing style as it can produce almost any tone while still being very playable. I have been playing for 8 years now and have played alot of different basses; my stable now includes a Fender Mark Hoppus, a MusicMan Sterling 5 and an Epiphone Jack Cassidy. This is by far my favorite and most used bass and I would buy another one right away (if I have money) if it were lost or stolen. It is simply the easiest to use bass I've ever played. There is nothing that it simply cannot play and it sounds good for almost everything. It handels detuning quite well and barely goes out of tune. On top of that, it is just comfy to play, not having any polarizing ergonomics, just comfort. // 10

More G&L reviews rating category latest review
+ Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top 8 Electric Guitars 07/17/2014