WSB704 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 10/01/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Harley Benton: WSB704
MM-style, body basswood, bolt on hmaple neck, rosewood fretboard, 20 frets, scale 86cm, 1 mm style pickup, 2 volumen and 1 tone controller, BB022 bridge, hardware chrome.
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
WSB704 Reviewed by: untitled039, on october 01, 2007

Features: This bass is really a MusicMan Stingray copy but with a little bit of a twist. Unlike a Stingray, there are 1 Volume and 2 (or 3) tone knobs, but on this there is 2 Volume knobs and one tone knob. It seems strange having 2 volume knobs for a single pickup bass but actually each volume knob controls one of the coils in the pickup. So basically you have both a humbucking pickup and 2 single coils on board. It has a basswood body with a black finish and pearloid pickguard, a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and an 86 cm scale. Also unlike the Stingray the electronics are passive, not active. The headstock is a similar shape to that of a Stingray (not exactly the same) with a 3-1 tuner line up. // 8

Sound: Given the fact that you get both a humbucker and single coil pickup in one, this is one versatile bass. It handles pretty much everything you can throw at it. As I'm mainly a guitar player, I'm currently just using it with my guitar amp and the tone is great, so on a bass amp I'd expect it to be even better. There is a bit of noise, even with the pickup in full humbucking mode if the tone is on full, but when you are playing it's inaudible so not much of a problem there. In full humbucking mode, it has a beautiful rich sound with plenty of bite at the same time and with it in single coil mode it has a very snappy, bright tone. It's a great bass for fingers, picks and especially slapping, there's not much this bass can't do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was playable right out of the box (after it was tuned of course). There was nothing I could find that was wrong and I still haven't found any fault with it. It stays in tune for days on end, I play it every day and I only have to properly tune it once a week. The action is perfect for me and the intonation is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a chance to use this Live yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't withstand Live playing. It's a strong bass, both physically and in terms of sound. The finish is fine and I can see it lasting a while, but I have only had it for 3 or 4 weeks so I don't know how the finish will last in the long term. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to funk and there's nothing it wont do. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and this is my first bass, and I can see myself playing it for a long time. I would definitely go for this again because it's versatile, it's got a great sound and it is so good for it's price. Of course, it's no match for a real $1000+ Stingray, but for only 118, there is nothing I can find fault in. I compared it to other Harley Benton basses, like a Jazz-style one, but I went for this one because I couldn't find any Stingray copy for that price. I didn't even know that you could split the coils on it when I bought it so that was a nice surprise when it arrived. There isn't much more you could ask for on a bass like this. // 9

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review