SB15 Review

manufacturer: Hartke date: 12/24/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Hartke: SB15
The new SB-15 "Bass Gig Pack" from Hartke contains everything you need to get up and running as a bassist. The pack includes the new SB-15 4-string electric bass, our B15 Combo amp (new from the popular B Series) a gig bag, strap and cable.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.5
 Features: 5.5
 7.3
 6.7
 7.8
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SB15 Reviewed by: kydoodlebob, on december 24, 2007

Features: This bass includes the guitar, a Hartke B150 amp, a strap, a cable, and a gig bag. To start out with the guitar is great, one problem with mine is that it is bowed. The strap broke within 3 months. The cable is so horrible that I had to buy a new one the day I got it. the bag is pretty good. The amp has very good sound, I give that a 10. But since the other stuff wasn't very good, I have to give this a 3. // 3

Sound: The style of this is pretty much anything. Well of course it is not a jazz bass but it can sound like one witht he Switch of pickups knobs. Never turn everything on this amp up, it will either blow out your ear and the amp, make you deaf or make the amp useless. But other than that it has a great sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself was actually pretty good. I give the factory rating a 1. I do this becasue my bass was bowed. It really makes a difference when you are trying to hit those high notes really fast.Also when I got it it the tops by the tuning knobs was beat-up from the packaging. The flaws on this guitar are only that you need to polish it quite often because of the black finish. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probably withstand a live show, but as a backup plan. After a while I would most definantley get a replacement. It is only a beginner bass, get rid of the bass, but keep the amp for practice. Other things are the easily chippeing off finish, I hit a wall not very hard with thiss and guess what, a chip the size of two pencil-erasers (the ones on the top of the pencil). // 7

Overall Impression: I play whatever I find with good bass, and yes I can pretty much use it for that. I wish I had known how bad the cable and strap are. I would have definantly bought another. I would most definanly not buy it if it was stolen, I would go for a non-beginner bass. I love the amp, and the sound of it. I hate how it is beat up, and I hate how it is bowed. I would compare it to the Squier beginner bass, I would definantly buy the Squier because it is not black and the sound is way better. I would definantly choose the Squier. // 5

SB15 Reviewed by: danny oi, on february 16, 2007

Features: Beginners, experienced, anyone who plays bass will like this one. The SB15 package is an awesome buy. Looking for good sound, good feel and a light guitar then look no further. It has a sleek shape and is a simple set-up with all Hartke's own hardware all over. It is good for beginners with it's light body and nice shape for sitting down with andf pratising. And it's good for experienced players with it's good sound and good size fretboard. It has the standard 24 frets and is a good size for people with fat or thin bass pluckers! Solid neck and headstock and has a shiny black finish. It normally comesm in a package with a 15 watt Hartke amp, lead and strap. The only thing is they're kinda rare so you'll have trouble finding them in shops but over the net should be a doddle. Cheap, fun to play and good for gigging, any bass player must at least try this baby! // 8

Sound: This is good for any style, for punk, metal, jazz and funk. Whatever you play this bass can handle it. I use a Hartke bass amp but it still sounds excellent through a guitar amp. Also the pick ups don't pick up all the fuzz so you get a good sound and feel out of it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups and hardware are all set up like a normal bass guitar but are easily adjusted, and the bridge is put so the strings are just the right height above the fretboard. I got mine second hand, so the wiring wasn't amazing, but new I suspect it'll be done well. The only major flaw is it's so light if you turn around it could fly anywhere, so hold tight. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass has been used in many gigs before I had it and a few with me and it's handeled it fine, when played through a quality amp. The strap buttons are too close together mind, and I'm in a punk band so I'm jumping around the floor so I need straplocks which is a good idea. The paintjob has lasted for 3 years withoput scratching so there's no worries there. I would definitley depend on it as long it was in good hands and probably with strap locks. I've never had to change or fix the pick-ups but with it being second hand, I've needed to solder the input a couple of times. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any bass player Who does any style really, I've been playing it for 2 years now and it has served me well. If it was stolen I'd get it again if was in most shops but it isn't so that depends how much it is over the internet, my favourite feature has to be the lightness and how easy it is to play, you can move your fingers over the fretboard so smoothly and jump around like a nutter at the same time. // 9

More Hartke reviews rating category latest review
+ Bass Attack VXL 7.6 Bass Effects 11/29/2012