AGB200 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/16/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: AGB200
Made in China. Has two passive humbucking pickups with one volume and one tone control and a 3-way switch.
 Features: 9.5
 8.8
 8.9
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
AGB200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2009

Features: 2007 year model. Ordered it new directly from the Ibanez factory through a local dealer. Absolutely the most beautiful bass I have ever owned. A 4 string, semi-hollow body short scale bass. The guitar does have a surprisingly bit of weight to it, probally from the sustain block within the body. Transparent brown maple body finish is amazingly beautiful with gold hardware. Made in China. Has two passive humbucking pickups with one volume and one tone control and a 3-way switch; simple, the way I like it. The finish is flawless. Set neck is 3 piece maple and mahogany, I think. Body style is like a Les Paul with "F" holes all trimmed in a antique white binding. The guitar is very well balanced and comfortable standing or sitting. Sealed gold tuners with white knobs for that retro look. Has large frets which are well set and trimmed. I had to later order the case directly from Ibanez because no one, and I do mean NO ONE has a case to fit this guitar except Ibanez as far as I know, because I checked everywhere. // 10

Sound: The guitar had a very bright sound, so I put Rotosound RS77S Flatwound Jazz Bass Strings on it which put that "thump" into the sound. There was considerable string noise before I replaced the strings, but the flatwounds remedied this. I use a Peavy bass amp with this guitar. There is nothing I don't like about the guitar. It's not your heavy rock and roll guitar, but I think any good bassist can make it do about anything if they set it up for their style of playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a litlle high for me so I adjusted it accordingly. The intonation was way out of whack for the "E" string, but I adjusted that also and hit it on the head. I lowered the pick ups just a bit to help reduce the string noise and to compensate for the lowering of the strings a bit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I feel this bass will be very durable and last a long time. But of course, I treat all my guitars like new born babies. The finish is very well done and appears to be very durable for the long haul. The strap buttons a heavy duty, as are the bridge and tail stop. I would do a gig with this baby without a backup. I trust it very much. Electronics are solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing bass for 35 years. I've owned a Rick 001, Univox, Fender P-Bass, Gibson, Washburn, Kent(Beatles Hofner copy; great little copy except the bastard made a nose dive for the floor everytime you let go of the neck.), Fender Mustang, and numerous others I can't remember. I also own two Rogue bass guitars, one 4 string and one 5 string. (The Rogue bass guitars are excellent basses.) I would buy this bass again if it were stolen. I love everything about this bass. If I could get Ibanez to change anything about it, I would maybe put separate tone and volume controls for each pick up. // 10

AGB200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2011

Purchased from: DV247

Features: When I first saw this bass I was staggered by the quality of finish and it really is a beautiful instrument and made in China too! It looks like a real expensive instrument. This short scale bass is a delight to play. My transparent brown example has gold hardware (not my 1st choice) but I have to say it's pretty cool. The semi-hollow body is solid and strong although volume levels are pretty low when not plugged in (as you might expect). The passive electronics consist of single volume and tone, a three way Switch selects either or both humbucker pickups, it's kind of minimalistic but I love it. The Gibralter tailpiece and bridge look great and the Gotoh style machine heads work very well. All hardware, including humbuckers, are gold. One nice feature is a "flip over" style truss rod adjuster cover. Not that you'll be wanting to use it that often (hopefully). // 9

Sound: Initial impression was that of a "bright" sound but. The supplied strings did NOT do it justice and they went straight away and fitted a set of Hofner short scale strings (yes, they do fit) and bingo! Play mainly blues "style" and it took me a little while to settle into its tone and get things adjusted right. It's capable of good dynamic range if hit hard with plenty of "edge", bottom end could be described as neutral and distinct, no boom or wooliness just full and rich, impressive. The tone control could perhaps have a little more range but I'm not that fussed, it's usually fully off anyway. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I find it difficult to find any fault with this bass. Paintwork 1st class and setup nearly spot on, slight adjustment to the neck needed, nut action perfect and action possibly a little high for me, but that's my preference. Only bad thing was the original strings that really didn't work for me, they also had bad intonation. Once replaced problems solved. // 8

Reliability & Durability: There's little to wrong here and nothing's broken yet after many hours of playing. The paintwork still looks great and the gold hardware hasn't discoloured yet. I've taken it out many times on its own and never worried about it. I have no doubt it'll last fine. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a beautiful bass and I love it. This and my Ibanez ARTB100 (also short scale) I own have become my basses of preference. It seems Ibanez are producing some real affordable beauties from China! To be honest this wasn't my first choice when I first looked around for a semi-acoustic bass but I definately made the right choice for my bluesy style of playing. It looks great and sounds great. Consider changing the original strings if you get one as mine were poor. If I lost it I would want another one. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014