ARTB100 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/15/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: ARTB100
For those who prefer a bass that has a more classic feel to it, the ARTB is a 70s style rock machine. The combination of mahogany body, 30 short scale length and set neck create a warm tone that recreates the days of arena rock.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 8.7
 8.4
 9.1
 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
ARTB100 Reviewed by: BenWhite, on july 14, 2010

Features: Solid mahogany body, 3pc maple/mahogany neck and bound rosewood fingerboard. Artcore humbuking/passive bridge and neck pickups which give a warm classic tone. 30" short scale neck means easy fretwork. Gibraltar III Bass bridge, quik change III bass tailpiece and 22 frets. Two tone control and one master volume knobs. // 9

Sound: I play lots of different styles of music such as funk, rock, punk, Indie and loads more. To be honest I think this bass is great for all of them. I am using the Line 6 lowdown 15 amp with it and I think its brilliant you can get some low punchy bass or some great stringy treble. Just have a play around and I am sure you will find something that suits your style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I brought the bass it was brilliantly set-up so I have left it how it came and I haven't found any problems with it yet, apart from one of the nuts on the tuning pegs was slightly loose and made a ringing noise, but that was easily fixed and now sounds great. The Pickups and the string heights are perfectly adjusted which means know buzzing against the frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think that this bass has done really well when used at my performances the strap buttons stay tight and it stays in tune for a long time. The finnish is really nice and has a nice Shine when in the light, although it does seem to pick up dirt from the fingers quite easily, but this is easily wiped of with either just a cloth or I use some Kyser Dr. Stringfellow cleaning fluids with a soft cleaning cloth (this gives it an amazing shine) // 9

Overall Impression: I think its a really good match for all styles of music especially 70's rock such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Moody Blues because it can give some real punchy bass lines. There is so much I love about this bass it looks and sounds brilliant. There is nothing really to hate. And if it got stolen or lost I defiantly would not hesitate to buy it again. I would defiantly recommend it to a friend. // 10

ARTB100 Reviewed by: I am Albion, on july 30, 2010

Purchased from: Dawsons.co.uk

Features: The ARTB100 is made in China and has a 30" medium fret scale and thus is perfect for those people who may be more accustom to a electric guitar or have smaller hands maing it incredibly easy to play, fun too! Features a Mahogany Body, Gibraltar III bass bridge (19mm string spacing)and a Quik Change III bass tailpiece and slimline body. This bass has two impressive ACHB-2 humpicker pickups which Shine in all their lovely chrome finish glory! The classic looks of the ARTB100 are enhanced by an arched top and refined body binding.Combination of mahogany body, lower string tension and ACHB humbuckers with metal covers produces warm, classic rock tones. I bought the white version and it looks very clean cut and on closer inspection has a creamy colour on the body then the pictures suggest, it works well for the guitar. // 9

Sound: Right - this bass guitar is not a metal or punk bass guitar. It has a very rich and clear sound and would be more suitable for Indie and rock bands - think The Beatles with the distinctive sound of Indie bands like Arctic Monkeys or The Strokes. A very warming low/mid tone makes the sound very unique. Plugged it into my Marshall MB60 bass amp and was alot louder then I thought it was going to be while retaining that strong, clear tone. Haven't tried it with effects but I could imagine the results would be interesting. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My one concern when buying this bass was the fact it was made in China and I have had guitars before that had a pretty average build but I was pleasently surprised to have this guitar fully setup, solid and without any factory flaws or deficts which I had expected. The bridge was perfectly aligned and strings prewound which was a bonus. Came in a pretty bog standard box, no gig case or extras. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only gigged once with it but it went without a hitch and lasted our 40 minute setlist without the need for tuning. Really stood out with the drums I found, didn't fill like it was plugging the gaps in the airwaves but rather standing on its own between the guitars which gave it it's own ground to fight on. It feels really solid and I plan to use this bass as my primary guitar for gigging and practices. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm currently in an Indie Rock band so for my needs its great; smashing retro style, unique clear sound and great features. Only had it for 2 weeks but I plan for it to be my primary bass for a long time to come. When I'm jamming I do sense it's character which really just feels 'right', haven't had that before. Just take note this is not a bass guitar for metal heads or punk players! Go for the 'Ibanez 430' if thats your style, same price bracket and very powerful. I would replace if it was stolen, no second thought. Highly reccommend! // 9

ARTB100 Reviewed by: MaxMix, on june 15, 2011

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: This bass is a real beauty in white, more of an off white colour really. The finish of my example is of a VERY high standard and is a fine example of the quality of modern Chinese products. Two humbuckers and excellent bridge all in chrome with Gotoh type machine heads, also in chrome. The arched body is Les Paul style and quite thin. Two volume and single tone control allow a wide range of impressive tones. Weight is average and balance is good. In all this is an impressive instrument that looks beautiful with a performance to match. I love it. // 8

Sound: As a blues player this axe looks and sounds the part. I own many basses and this is one of my favourites, regardless of price. This bass and also my Ibanez AGB200 have become my instruments of preference over time, high praise for instruments that come at an affordable price too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I do remember being surprised how well this bass was setup out of the box. Nut action was perfect (unusual), neck was set perfectly (amazing) and intonation wasn't far out either. A few small adjustemnt for preference and it was ready to go (fantastic). Frets well finished and paintwork flawless. Chrome hardware of high standard and of good quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Little to go wrong and has stood the test of time. No complaints. Would be happy to take it alone to any gig. The paintwork seems to have stood up well and seems to be durable and the chrome hardware has stayed bright, looks as good now as it did when new. // 9

Overall Impression: The ARTB100 in white is a real beauty and is a real player regardless of price. I believe it's now discontinued but if it were run over I would be upset and would look for another. There's not really anything I would change as it is what it is. If I want something different I'll use a different bass, that's why we own more than one, of course. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014