Artcore AGB140 Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AGB140 Reviewed by: danielwg, on june 03, 2014

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Trademe

Features: Ibanez Artcore AGB140 Semi Hollow bass.
- 22 medium Frets
- 34" Scale
- Maple Set neck
- Gibraltar bridge
- Quick Change III tail piece
- Maple Body
- Transparent dark brown finish with cream binding, and silver hardware
- Controls: 1V 1T
- One humbucker style pickup. // 9

Sound: Sounds really good. It came with D'Addario Round Wounds, but I changed them for Flats (Ernie Ball Group II, 50-105) which suit it better I think. Not really good for slap. I mostly play blues and rock on it, which sounds great. Would sound much better through a better amp (I'm using a 20W practice amp). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the bass second hand and apart from some very fine surface scratches (as to be expected on a bass made 9 years ago) it was in near perfect condition.  so it was set-up how the last guy had it. The action is a little high. On my other bass each string height can be adjusted individually, but on this one the bridge height is adjusted by two screws at each end of the bridge. I find that the E is too low but the other strings are too high.  the body is quite large and the neck is attached at the 17th fret (whereas the horns on a P bass come out to about the 11-12) so the neck feels much longer, also being a Les Paul type shape it doesn't have that slight angled bit at the top where you plucking hand rests like on a Jazz bass, so you kinda have to reach around a bit more. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live, so I don't really know. I'm pretty sure the guy I brought it off used it his band live. I would say yeah. However a second bass would be needed if you wanted to play a different style (like slap). // 7

Overall Impression: This was the second bass I bought, my first was a Ashton Starter pack, which I still play. If it were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't be able to find another one. But if I could I would buy another, or maybe the AGB200. I love the colour, the sound and the look. I don't really like the awkwardness of it. Overall I would totally recommend this bass. As far as I know they are out of production, so if you see one, buy it. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ SAS32EX 8.6 Electric Guitars 10/20/2014