ATK300 Review

8.3
 8.2
reviews (3) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
ATK300 Reviewed by: englebert, on july 19, 2007

Features: It's one of the new ATK re-issues so it was made in 2007 in Indonesia. 22 jumbo frets, which I find quite small compared to my other basses as well as the neck which is still pretty thick however. I got the natural colour with a black pick-guard, which is kin gorgeous, the body is Ash and the neck is maple. It has ATK triple coil pickups which lets you get a different sound easily. It has volume, bass, treble, and middle controls. Just came with a cable and some tools. The pickups are amazing and it looks awesome. // 9

Sound: I play rock and funk styles mainly, it gives a great kick for the rock stlye and it slaps and pop great aswell. on my Behringer ultrabass sounds really bassy and meaty which is great, I also play it distorted aswell which sounds ok but nothing special. it's not noisy at all when your not playing and you can get a bright sound or attack sound out of it by using the 3-way selector. It makes three great sounds just off the pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I found the action was a bit low and rattled abit but otherwise good. Everything was ok but the jacks-in abit crappy and cuts out if you move around. But I read this is a common problem with the ATK's and should be easy enough to fix anyway. I just hope it won't cut out on me in the middle of a gig. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass while outlive you quite easily, it's a beast. It's solid enough and technically sound so I would gig without a backup but just a bit worried about the jack-in. The finish looks great and should be a problem at all and the strap buttons are really solid. // 8

Overall Impression: It matches my style well, but with the pickup it's pretty much mach any style. I've been playing 2 years and I had a Yamaha before it.I would buy it again becasuse for the price it's amazing. I love the pickups the can give it a real kick but the jack-in gets me annoyed. I compared it to other Ibanez's cause I was pretty set on one but I did compare it to Waricks and the lower end Fenders I decided this one was for me. I don't think you can go wrong with it, closest to a Stingray at a great price. // 10

ATK300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2010

Price paid: A$ 480

Purchased from: Private

Features: I bought this privately through Gumtree (Brisbane Australia). It was made probably around 1997 as it was made in Korea. I remember this because I bought my Soundgear 1205 around the same time, in Auckland New Zealand (Rock Shop). Everything on this axe is stock standard as described on the Ibanez Website. It is a typical Sunburst finish and in very good condition for a 2nd hand guitar...I also got a TKL case in excellent condition with it. // 8

Sound: It pretty much suits my style, (Funk, Slap, Rock, Blues, you name it. I play various styles depending on what style of gig I'm playing at the time. I've been at it for around 40 years now. I am still running a 350 Harke head through a 400 watt 4/10 bin and I would like to up it to a LH 1000 Hydrive as I am staunch Hartke user. The bass in question is very nice for dialing in tones and is very basic, but with nice warmth to suit my style. It can be agressively bright if the user is not careful to set bass and amp tone selection to a minimal setting especially in the highs! As stated in other reviews this bass does implement the MusicMan and Fender Jazz tonal qualities, but however it is very subtle in this respect. I prefer to not use effects, but when I do it tends to create the famous 'Hiss' especially in the 'Limiter Department'. With good EQ setting on the head it should create sufficient cut through for any gig situation. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up? I would not know as the previous owner may have performed a complete set up. When I bought it I needed to lower the action, set the intonation etc after I replaced the old strings with a set of Dean Markleys, (medium Light) which gives me good clarity for Funk/slap and also for heavier tones especially in the reggae and blues department. This bass had a flaw in the Active circuitry which I had to order from Japan. (IN my opinion, Ibanez has a shocking customer service regime, well I refer to Australia. After replacing the guts of this bass it still had a bad crackle in the volume pot, and after doing all the standard cleaning/anti static procedures etc, I still had problems. These basses have a reputation for having crappy Jack Barrels, so that was replaced but not with an original Ibanez, so I ordered another complete circuit replacement, but this time for the current ATK model which is more simplistic and much kinder on the cavity due to its smaller componentry. I enjoy and prefer to perform my own repair work and setting up as I know what I need and want, and a lot of mass instruments are designed with low cost material. the ATK is a 'Workhorse' and is built for that purpose. If anyone has complaints about this bass, try owning an SGR 1205, The cavity is just one big mess, and the circuit board sits on top of this jungle of mess, and it chills me just to think about redesigning the cavity set up to give this thing breathing space, but it handles just as good as the best on the market and I have been using this bass also for 13 years. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Yes I can depend on this axe for all of my gigs, although I usually take a 2nd bass along for back-up or for tonal reasons etc. The finish is very durable and maintains a nice look to it and apart from the hardware (circuitry) it is a good bass for the working musician, but as I said, I tend to lean toward upgrading componentry etc because I enjoy it when money allows. // 8

Overall Impression: I play practically any style and have been playing since the age of 9. There are a lot of good instruments out there in Guitar Heaven, but preference is personal thing for me as I have owned and played the 'True and tried' from the Uncle Leo's to the MM. I have been playing awhile now and I personally have owned a few amps and Pa's through to guitars and drums, and I have a passion for electronics etc. I have always likes the ATK for its robust look and feel and also the sound which with a little time can produce the sound I need. If this girl were stolen or lost I would probably veer off to the Yamaha planet. // 7

ATK300 Reviewed by: clitheroekid100, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: Bought new 2009. Black body maple neck. No case or bag. Looks like the pic above. Slightly annoying that the string gauges aren't stated for replacement. Rest from Ibanez (My comments in brackets) Neck Type 3pc ATK4 neck (fairly chunky) Body Light Ash body (Black paint. Chamfered at the back for comfort) Fret Jumbo frets (but not too much so) Fingerboard Maple fingerboard (nice I like maple fingerboards!) Bridge ATK4 bridge 19mm string spacing (Through body or not as you like) Bridge pu ATK Triple coil pu (3 position switch traditional, bright, modern sort-of) Equaliser ATK 3-band eq (very powerful maybe too much so) String Elixir string (What gauge? prob 50-105s) // 9

Sound: I would describe the sound as modern. Quite easy to overdo the tone with the active electronics. I find my amp (Peavy Powermax) eq to be more versatile, extreme, subtle and quality as required. Having said that I usually leave the mid at neutral and the bass & treble up slightly. The 3 position selector can be subtle (or useless depending on your point of view)depending on the amp and/or guitar tone settings. A neutral tone there isn't much difference, at extremes the pickup selection is more effective. Although extreme tones can be obtained easily different timbres can't. Explain please - My jazz sounds very different on one PU or 2 PUs and with a blends. The ATK seems to just be more or less of the same. Not really a criticism but an observation. I now play in a blues band so the active PUs are not so suitable as the passives on my Jazz. The ATK is great for rock & metal and I love the instrument for this. I wish it had a passive / active switch. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent action which has only needed altering when I change the string gauge. The original strings were Elixirs which sounded fab but went a bit fuzzy (looking not sounding) when the coating started to shred. I play with fingersa & thumb mainly. I have stainless strings that sound fab. I also find the output to be similar in level to my passive jazz and that the amp is best with the passive selected to get the best tone. The tone / vol controls don't feel as smooth or quality as I would like and if I remember right they are mounted on a fairly naff (for the money) looking circuit board. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Played live loads with this bass and it hasn't let me down. I have a good wide strap so the weight isn't too bad at least not until midnight and the encore. The strap buttons & tuners are solid. It hold its tuning well. The position of the jack socket clashes with my stand. I do worry about the battery going flat and there isn't a warning LED. The batteries last for months so you tend to forget to change them. I haven't been caught out yet. The battery change needs a screwdriver so could be a pain in a rush in the dark and after a pint or two. // 8

Overall Impression: I currently play mainly blues, blues/rock. The actives are probably not perfect for that. I like the heavy neck. It feels right for this bass. The black looks like a Fender / Rickenbacker cross with a cool modern twist to a Vintage look. (I don't like the natural finish model because to me it looks like it has been hewn out of a cheap lump of lumber).If I was to replace it I may just get a Squier P bass. I think there are are slightly better active basses in the Ibanez range and elsewhere and a P-bass would be cheaper & no battery to worry about. I won't be selling anytime soon because I still think it is awesome to play & look at. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014