EDA905 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/09/2004 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: EDA905
EDA5 neck. 3pc. Maple Neck Material. Luthite Body. 24/Medium frets. Rosewood Fingerboard. IBZ DFR-N5 Neck PU. Pearl Dot Inlay.
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
EDA905 Reviewed by: NIreGuy, on april 09, 2004

Purchased from: Matchetts

Features: The 905 model I own is the 5 string version with twin pickups and from here on in it gets..."different". The body is made from a material developed by Ibanez called Luthite, basically a form of plastic, now to all the purists out there, yes I know, I wondered about it too at first, but it has so many advantages I just couldnt pass it up. Firstly you have a guitar that should have no defects in it and be made exactly to spec as it is injection moulded. The material itself seems to promote sustain in a big way, heck, you could hit a note, go away and make a cup of tea, it will still be ringing when you get back. The major decider for me was the cost. The fact that the body is just "manufactured" means the only cost you are really paying for is the hardware and electronics (none of those expensive exotic woods required). As for the shape of the body, I have had this out and about, but I have yet to leave a gig without someone commenting on how cool it looks, I usually just agree with a big smile :) On the pickup side of things, there are two passive pickups, normal magnetic and the bridge piezo (acoustic). Each set has its own volume and tone control, allowing you to blend the signals to get a quite nice chorus effect. The strings come with individual bridge pieces, which incorporate the piezo pickups, but this also has the advantage of eliminating any buzzing between strings by isolating them from each other. The only thing I would say is that you may have trouble finding a suitable hard case as the long neck and shape of the body and headstock mean it may not fit every case out there. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As mentioned above, the great thing about this guitar is that it is flawless. The action was just right for me, although could be easliy changed if required, and the pickup was solid. The shape of the body allows for the thumb to rest on a groove instead of the pickup so there should be no displacement of it there. In fact, I cant think of a single fault. The finish for my bass was a charcoal grey but it also comes in a purple/blue or orange finish, I really wanted the purple/blue but couldnt get it where I am :( Hardware all seems to be securely fitted and of a high standard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand live playing, from weddings and formals to quiet cafes this has been through it all and seems rugged enough to withstand whatever I can throw at it. Yes, it has been dropped more than once but hardly a mark on it, and where there is one mark, it is so hard to notice because of the fact that the entire body is made with the same finish the whole way through. The strap buttons are solid, but I have since invested in straploc's and would recommend them to everyone for every guitar. The acid test is, would you play this guitar at a live gig, and if so would you bring a backup? Well I have half a dozen bass guitars and for the past year and a half have hardly played any other but this one, in fact 3 of them are out on loan with friends at the minute. I dont even have to use the acoustic as the piezo pickups see to that end of things. The ionly reason you would possibly need a backup with this guitar is if you are prone to breaking strings, and on a bass that shouldn't be too much of a problem :p // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a totally fantastic guitar, better than many twice its price. In fact, the only bass I have played which surpassed it cost its owner over 4000 so on terms of value, it cant be beaten. I have a number of other guitars which I rarely play, although this may not be to everyones liking I would definately recommend you try it if you are in the market for a new bass, even if you aren't you may still be tempted. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014