EDB550 Review

8.3
review (1) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
EDB550 Reviewed by: kevkev, on july 02, 2010

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: Neck: 5pc EDB4 Wenge/Bubinga neck NeckType: EDB4 Body: Light Ash body Frets: Medium frets Fingerboard: Rosewood Inlay: Pearl Dot Bridge: B100 bridge NeckPU: Duncan/Ibanez neck pu MiddlePU: Duncan/Ibanez bridge pu EQ: EQB-IIDX 2-band eq Colour: Black Came with a gig bag and a strap. // 8

Sound: Sounds very good! The active pickup gives a nice tone, and can change very easily to suit any type of music. Used this Bass in a covers band for my music course, and I haven't found a single genre which it doesn't sound at home in. Plays very easily too, so not too many complaints at all. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Nice finish when bought, but extensive gigging for the last two years has worn away at the finish. Only flaw I've found is the horrendous Fret Buzz from the B Note on the E String (7th Fret)when being played.I've worked around this to avoid playing it so it's not proved a problem in me making sure I get a good sound, but I've had to change my playing to fit this instrument. It's been worth it though! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Never had a single issue in terms of this instrument being reliable in a variety of set-ups and venues. It's always performed well, and sounded great at doing so. Although the finish is starting to coming off slowly, it can only have been expected with the amount of gigs this instrument has had to deal with recently, let alone rehearsals too. Been gigging with this without a backup for two years, and thankfully I've never had the need for another Bass. I would never have opted for this with Guitars, but had no choice due to financial reasons of buying two basses for one course. // 8

Overall Impression: Having applied as a Guitarist to my course, they facility greatly miscalculated what they need, therefore we ended up with 0 bassists and 5guitarists. I opted out, for free one on one tuition to learn bass, and bought this instrument to use for my course. It's been reliable from the start to finish from when I've needed it, and although I have never previously owned any other Basses, I've experienced playing others, and this performs equal in comparison. For the price I paid, this has definitely been worth the money, and i'd recommend in trying one out, as a good gigging option for your collection, as a main instrument, or as the 100% guaranteed reliable backup we all need. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014