EDB600 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/14/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: EDB600
Ergodyne EDB series 4-string electric bass guitar feautring a luthite body, passive pickups, and active EQ.
 9.4
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
EDB600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2006

Features: I was going to buy the EDB500 but in the end I decided on the 600 as it had a 3 band EQ instead of 2 although I usually have the middle low as I find it is too harsh for such a curved mellow bass. A nice emo sound can be found by turning the treble to the full and picking instead of fingering. I went for the red-rock sunburst colour and I was a bit scepticle and almost regretted not picking the black but when it arrived it was more than heavenly it was godlike. The 24 frets allow to play mellow jazz and the scooped out body make slapping and pooping easy; I never used to do slapping and popping but not I'm absolutely addicted, I can be found playing such songs as 'Can't Stop' or 'Killing In The Name'. The body is luthite not wood but it doesn't sound much different. Also the bridge on the 600 is another reason why I chose it over the 500 as it looked more solid and Ibanez aren't known for there high quality bridges. For the price it cost the features this bass has can be found on Fender basses etc for more than 2000. // 10

Sound: I am 14 and I've played in lots of school bands. I've play funk and jazz. I also play a lot of emo and metal like funeral for a friend and shadows fall but this bass isnt really suited for that kind of thing but I am planning on an Ibanez SR905 5 string bass as my next to cure my metal hungry fingers. I have a 300w/450w (extension) Ashdown 2x10/2x10+1x15 which only has a five band EQ, the 3 band on the EDB helps that though. The sounds are well suited for each other as they both have a jazzy sound. I chged the elixr strings for some super bright strings after 2 months and they help it sound funkier and jazzier. I use a morley wah pedal which sounds so funky on it I love it and use it all the time but my fellow band members get annoyed with it when were playing a soft song such as 'by the way' and I brake out into a slap bass solo with the wah pedal addicting. I was going to get distortion but I decided to wait till next year when I buy my 5 string as the sound wont be suited for the jazz-type bass. Because of the low EQ of my amp I bought a boss 7 band EQ pedal which I use as a boost/cut pedal during songs like 'Can't Stop' when it is fast slap then cuts to a smooth soft chorus. Could use more variability to suit metal etc but the jazz sound is immense. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Was set up nicely exept for a bit of buzz on E but I cured that by looseing the truss-rod. Strings were tuned properly tuned and it was a brilliant feeling to slap it for the first time. The bass nob was a bit loose so I tightened it a bit. I then fitted a long life 9v duracell battery to replace the low quality original but I think Ibanez expect this. No scratches or dings had no finger marks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar stays in tune through hours of playing but the one which seems to drop first always is D, but still this is after atleast 6hours of play. Hardware is a nice glossy black and feel heavy and strong; they feel like they will never brake unlike my friend harveys electro acoustic whose tuning knob cracked when he was tuning B. I have not played live yet but I can safely say there would be no problems though any gig. In the recording studio it never fails to do its job and impress. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is fantastic for the price I payed and with another company e.g. Fender this sort of spec would cost thrice as much. Custom looks and sound for a not custom price. It suits funk and jazz and maybe a bit of soft metal and emo. If it was stolen I would buy the 2006 version of this (EDB700). I would definately stick with Ibanez as I feel they provide luxury basses for fantastic prices. I love the 3 band EQ and the pickups as they sound so soft compared to other pickups I have played with. This is the best bass for uder 350 if you are looking for a multi purpose but mainly jazz and funk bass. I compared this to some 400 quid-ish Fender basses but this witrh its mdern tech and looks won. I wish it had 5 strings. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014