EDB605 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/16/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: EDB605
This 5-string features a Luthite body and Ergo Dynamix humbucker pickups designed for use on Luthite to provide excellent midrange punch. 3 bands of EQ give you excellent shaping capability.
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
EDB605 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2006

Features: Shame on Ibanez for discontinuing this "Luthite" model! The current EDB range is no longer made from Luthite, which is some sort of plastic compound. Ultra-tough, solid and really rugged. The finish on them is all the same. Rosewood neck with 24 frets, two awesome active pickups with 5 knobs. 1 volume, 1 pickup selector (yes a knob, not a switch), then a 3-band EQ! // 10

Sound: I used to play a lot of heavy metal, but I've since moved into more funk. The bass handles both beautifully. The pickups and the 3band EQ make almost any sound possible! I use a Gallien Krueger 700RB head, a GK 15" box. I can get sounds ranging from Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) to Korn, and Flea from RHCP. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased it second hand from The Bass Player (in Sydney, Aus) so it was setup perfectly. The action on this guitar is ultra-low (great for speed metal) and there is no fret buzz on the low B, unless you hit the string too hard. Ibanez know what they are doing with low B strings! The only flaw it had was one screw was missing from the battery plate on the back, but again, it is second hand. Fingerprints don't even stick to the luthite material that the body is made out of! It gets a little dusty, but that happens to every guitar, all it needs is a wipe over with a cloth, and it looks brand new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for 4 years now and I have had no problems whatsoever. Nothing is loose, nothing moves when it shouldn't, the tuners still keep great tune. The finish is still as good as the day I found it, I suspect the Luthite material looks exactly the same the whole way through the body. I have never lost a strap from the guitar, and I don't use strap locks. The strap buttons are nice and chunky, but I also use good quality straps. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 9 years now, I have a few other guitars and a few other basses. This is by far my favourite! By comparison, I have a Kerry King signature B.C. Rich guitar, that is fantastic for one thing (metal) and sucks at anything else. This bass is incredibly versatile, it not only rocks for metal, but it is just as much fun to play chilli peppers on! I walked into The Bass Player trying out 5 strings, and I didn't like any of them. The low B would buzz, the pickups where in uncomfortable positions for finger playing, there was something that annoyed me about every one I tried. The guy pointed out this Ibanez and that it was second hand. I had looked past it because I thought it was Brand New and out of my price range. If you want a 5-string, and you see one of these give it a go! It won't get lost or stolen, because if it's not in my sight, then it's under lock and key! They don't make these anymore, and the newer models aren't as good, so I'm not losing this one! I hate reading reviews when someone gives 10 the whole way, but I seriously cannot fault this bass, especially for the price when you consider the versatility of the sound and it's features. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014