GSR190 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/17/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: GSR190
4-string Ibanez bass that comes with the Jump Start package. 24 frets, 3 pickups.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 8.3
 7.7
reviews (6) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
GSR190 Reviewed by: Chestaufissen, on september 25, 2005

Features: The first time I played the bass it had nice tone, very solid sound, it was simply exquisit (don't know how to spell it). It has 21 Frets. It has volume, middle, and treble controls what I didn't like was it didn't have labels. The whole sale price of the bass was $300 because of the accesories, picks, gig bag, amp, straps, and cables. // 8

Sound: You can play from heavy metal to '80s pop with this bass. I play mostly heavy alternative, "funky punk," and other old stuff. I use The Ibanez IBZ10B amp because thats what came with the Bass, I hear its a very unreliable amp so far though it hasn't f--ked up. Very nice muting sound depending on the way you play, and on how hard you press on the string when you mute. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It seems like they didn't try but thats pretty good job then if they didn't try. I didn't know that the pickups mattered, but then after reading an article on UG, I figured out that you could fix the pickups so that was good. The volume control had a little problem, partially my fault for turning it too hard though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play it Live but if I had no other choice then yeah I'd play it live. The hardware doesn't seem like it could last, but you never know. I would never use it live without a backup no real good reason but yeah I wouldn't. // 7

Overall Impression: The bass fits my style very well. I have been playing for 2 months and its only barely started to have some problems, to me thats a good thing. I'd get something else, something like a Fender Precision, if that were stolen I'd get a motherf--kin black with white pickguard Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray3 Bass, with maple fretboard and matching headstock. // 7

GSR190 Reviewed by: satyavati, on december 06, 2007

Features: This bass comes as part of the Ibanez Jumpstart pack that retails for something over $200 and comes with a small amp and all sorts of assorted toys. Mine just came by itself, used hard. It says it was made in Indonesia, but it looks good for the beating it's taken so far. This one has a very pretty transparent red finish. The clearcoat looks to be about a foot thick and very tough; mine has a dent and a crack, but I think it must have taken quite a hit for that to happen. I don't think normal usage would do damage to this finish, it looks to be made to take a lickin. The body and neck are maple with a rosewood fingerboard and medium frets, nicely finished. This is a bottom-buck bass designed for beginners, and although it hasn't got anything fancy in terms of hardware or electronics it's still well put together and nicely made for the money. The absolute best feature of this bass is the neck. The Ibanez Soundgear neck is narrow (41mm at the nut), comfortable, and fast. This is definitely a huge plus for someone Who's learning or for someone with smaller hands. For me, finding a bass that I could get my hand around was half the issue with me even learning to play. It's probably the most critical issue when I'm deciding whether or not to buy a particular instrument. It doesn't matter how good it is or how unbelievable the electronics are if I can't get my hands across the fretboard. It's got an Ibanez P/J setup with two volumes and one tone control. These are not the hottest pickups on the market, but they don't sound bad, and for someone starting out or needing a spare instrument, or for someone willing to work with it a little, it's great. // 8

Sound: For a beginning bass, it sounds really good. For the most part I play metal (mostly Iron Maiden) but lately I've been getting into blues and The Beatles, Yes, etc., and I bought this bass specifically for this. I put Rotosound TruBass strings on it and even with the lower output pickups it has a really sweet acoustic-type standup sound. Using the Elixir strings it came with, it had quite a bit of brightness and good sustain. I don't like roundwound strings on any bass, so they were coming off regardless. I play through a Peavey MAX 115; I have a Behringer Bass V Amp that I use just for a little chorus and compression. The bass really does sound good. The strings make a huge difference, and I plan to change out the pickups (eventually when I get to it) but really, if I don't change them, it would be all right too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass came to me used and pretty beat up. That being said, the neck is straight as an arrow and even the action was great. The pickups and all were adjusted just fine and the hardware, although it isn't high-end, is generally adequate. I do think the tuners are a little on the flimsy side and feel a bit loose to me, but I haven't had any trouble keeping it in tune. The control knobs feel a little floppy and not as defined as I would like them to be, but they're not in danger of falling off or anything like that. The finish on this bass, like I said, does look like it will be extremely durable. The clearcoat is deep; I don't think it will suffer with normal usage and the occasional clumsiness. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Even though Ibanez markets this as a beginner's bass and even though it's made with more low-end materials, it's still built like a rock. I don't think the actual quality of construction is any less than any more expensive Ibanez on the market. I think it could take a real beating and sail through. The tuners do seem like they might not last forever, and I am not a fan in general of Ibanez strap buttons, so I would definitely put on strap locks and watch the tuners to see if they get excessively loose or if the bass is falling out of tune a lot. Apart from that, I think this bass could last a very long time, and still look good; the finish really does seem to be exceptional. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I have to look at this in the context of it being a starter instrument. At that, it does fantastic: it's solid, feels good, has one of the best necks available for any price, and looks great. For the money, as part of the pack, I don't think you could do any better. I've been playing a year and a half. My main bass is an Ibanez EDB700. I wanted a second bass but wanted to be very cheap about it, and it had to be an Ibanez. This bass is worth more than the $95 I paid for it. I've got this bass set up with a very specific sound that wouldn't work with all kinds of music, but it seems to be versatile enough that with some tweaking you could pretty much do whatever you want with it. With the stock strings it's great for metal or rock. The pickup configuration is good, although again, they aren't the highest output pickups in the world. If it were stolen or lost, I don't know if I would buy this exact bass again; I would definitely buy another Ibanez Soundgear. The very best feature of this bass, and this really goes for every Ibanez I've ever picked up, is the neck. It's so comfortable and so friendly that you can just play forever. If there's anything I hate, it'd have to be speed knobs; but that's not specific to this instrument, more of just a general dislike. What I was looking for was a good, solid, extremely cheap Ibanez. This bass is worth twice what I paid for it, and I think that it's a smart choice for anyone Who is either just learning or would like a second instrument, and for a lot of people I think it could become a main instrument even past the 'I'm just learning' stage; you could always upgrade the electronics and so on. The bass itself, body, neck, finish, is so good that you might find yourself happier doing the upgrades rather than moving to a more expensive instrument. // 9

GSR190 Reviewed by: IndianRockStar, on may 28, 2007

Sound: I'll be frank, it doesn't blow my mind with the sound. Granted, I'm using it through a 10 watt Drive amp. I think through a better amp, the sound quality would be better. I play mostly everything except death metal, country, and rap, and this bass does a good job. The sound can actually vary based on where you play. I tend to favor between the two pickups. Saying that, playing over the neck gives a nice warm tone and the bridge an edgier one. It doesn't sound GREAT at anything, but it gets the job done. Fingerstyle, pick, and slap, it works. Only thing you can't really do is slide on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used, but the set-up from the shop was good. Everything is well put together. Haven't had any problems with the nut, tuning, truss rod, bridge, anything of the sort. Everything fits. The neck is uber thin, you'll either love it or hate it. I happen to love it. The finish on mine is black, and it's fairly stable. The neck happens to ding fairly easily, but that's not Ibanez's problem, it's my clumsyness. Looks pretty good, albeit a bit bland. But for $200, it's great. Also has contour for your elbow. Keeps in tune also. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this Live unless I had to simply because it doesn't sound quite up to par. Everything else is good enough for gigging. I would surely use it as a backup. it's good enough for that.Hardware I'm pretty sure is going to last for a while. Problem is that strap keeps falling off, but that might be the strap itself. Still, beware. Finish, even through dings, Still Remains black. Which also is a problem. It dings pretty easily. But if it doesn't get hit a lot, it's fine. A very good point that helps this is that it is very light, so if you are a small person you'll enjoy it. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play most things, and this does everything fairly well. Been playing for almost a year, and this is my only bass at this point. Looking to get a Jazz Bass 24 or a Warwick. Before I bought this bad boy, I just wish I had more knowledge, because I could've saved a lot of money by buying the package. So if you're interested, get the package deal. If someone stole it, I would be sad, but I wouldn't probably replace it. I do love the thin neck. I dislike the lack of power the knobs have. My favorite part, as said before, is the neck. Better than a Squier I think. Take a look if you're looking for a cheap bass. // 8

GSR190 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I started playing bass in a band because there wasn't really anyone else doing it. I borrowed a bass for a while, but then wanted to buy my own. I had played Ibanez, and you get a lot bang for your buck. I bought the GSR190. It has 3 pickups, a volume knob and two tone knobs. The tone knobs don't seem to affect the sound too much really. I principally adjust only the volume when I play. For a bass, it's a fairly light guitar. I think the body is semi-hollow and relatively small so that helps cut the weight. I replaced the string with a set of flatwound to reduce finger squeak, and this didn't affect the sound at all. All in all, it's a pretty basic feature set - nothing special, but it is a bass. // 8

Sound: I play Christian music at church, so there's quite a variety from bluegrass, to rock ballads, to even some funky stuff. I play a pretty clean sound - no effects or distortion. I wouldn't describe the sound as bright, rather warm sounding with a little metallic edge. It's not too punchy though. I don't think this bass would work too well for slapping or that sort of groove. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the guitar was spot on. Out of the box, this guy had a solid construction and no cosmetic flaws. Nothing to complaining about here. And thus far, it has held up just fine. The action, fretboard, bridge, saddle, tuning begs, etc have all held up thus far. I clean them, so I haven't seen any corrosion as of now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live numerous times, so it does hold up well. But I'm not an experience bassist either, as it's more my second instrument as opposed to my first. I've had this guitar for about seven years now and it has held up thus far. I've never had to replace anything or get it repaired. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music - this guitar is great for basic bass playing, as it seems a well rounded fit for most styles. I've had this bass for about 7 years, and have no plans of replacing it. Nor do I have any complaints. If you want a solid, cheap bass considering an Ibanez.

// 9

GSR190 Reviewed by: AnduNeedle, on january 17, 2013

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Mc Musical Instruments

Features: Well, my Ibanez GSR190 was made in 2010 and it's not quite Ibanez. It's Ibanez Gio. It was made in Indonesia. My bass has 22 frets. It's made of mahogany, all black. It has passive electronics. It has two volumes and a tone. It came along with a case, a gig bag, strap, cable, a tuner and some picks. Though it's not a very known model, it's a pretty good guitar. Of course, my dream is an Ibanez ATK200, but til that will happen, I'm happy with my GSR190. It really suits my needs for now. So, these are its features. // 8

Sound: Basically, my music style is something like Wednesday 13's. I play a lot of horror punk and I don't need effects or thing like that. A natural bass sound is enough. My bass goes along with an Ibanez amp "BSA15" but it actually has 19 watts. For my room it's enough. I'm not using any effect, though I would like a delay, a wah wah maybe, a tubescreamer. Just for fun. My guitar can make a lot of noise. Even though my amp has only Treble, Middle and Bass, with the right settings, I can obtain a great and a noisy sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know much about theory or technique stuff, but as far as I can see, my guitar is pretty good made. The pickups are adjusted very well. The dealer did this for me when I bought my guitar. As I said before, it was a new guitar (I bought it on march 2011). It's still in a very good shape. I clean it weekly, I have a solution for my strings etc. I really love my guitar. And the money I spent for it. I really don't want to loose it. Fortunately, the guys who made my guitar were patient enough. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I had a lot of shows with my bass. On every show, I used a Behringer 60 watt amp. Believe me, it kicked a-s. A lot of musicians from my city said that it's a very good guitar. And I noticed that by myself. It has that hard sound. I don't know, it has that thing that every bass should have it, no matter of the amp, or the effects. I had once trouble with a strap button but a friend of mine took care of it and now it's ok. I was surprised that even my dealer had problems with the strap button. But I'm happy that everything is ok. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I play horror punk. A GSR190 is a good match for this genre. Specially a black one. I play bass for like 4 years and 4 months. I don't have any other gear. I started with a pretty bad bass. It was made in the '80s in Germany. I was surprised that its pickups were still good. I think I would buy another guitar if my bass would be stole or lost. I don't know what. Something more creepy. I love everything at my bass. He's my little baby. I can't hate something at him. My bass is perfect how it is. // 10

GSR190 Reviewed by: raptorz44, on december 15, 2007

Features: 22 Frets that are great for a beginner, like me. I have the black finish, which looks great and shiny. The pickups are P-Bass style, and sound great. The tuners stay put and are great. It was in a starters pack and came with a 15-watt amp, 4 or 5 picks, a cable, a tuner, a strap, and a learn to play DVD. The amp sounds great and the picks work like picks are supposed to. The cable was absolutely horrible. It stopped working after only 2 weeks. The tuner is good. The strap is okay, but if you have it on and tilt it upwards, the strap falls off. I recommend straplocks. The DVD was great and it had guitar and bass so if you get it and want to play guitar, it is good. The bass section is taught by Gerald Veasley and teaches everything you need to know to get started. The guitar section is taught by Paul Gilbert, and I have not watched it, but it seems to me that it would be good. // 8

Sound: My main style is Blink 182-ish pop-punk and some other bands. It sounds great. Because Mark Hoppus is my idol, I turned off the bridge pickup and turned the tone knob to zero and it sounds great. There is some fuzz here and there, but only when the settings on the actual bass, not the amp, are high. It is a great bass for beginners. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The fret-board is great and feels amazing. The pickups are adjusted P-Bass style and are great. The only flaw I could see is that right next to the bridge there is a small paint chip that I saw the first day I had it. I am not sure whether or not I got it like that or I did that somehow. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With strap locks, this bass would definitely be great for Live playing. It will probably last very long. It seems reliable and I would definitely depend on it for a while. The finish will probably last, but only time will tell. I am not sure whether it is the strap or strap buttons that are bad, but strap locks fix it. // 7

Overall Impression: As stated earlier, I play pop-punk and it does seem like a good match. I have been playing for almost a month, and I do not own any other basses. Since I learned to play, I have played on 2 other basses. One was a 1973(I think) Gibson EB-3 that sounded great, but I did not like where the pickups were. The other is a lefty Paul McCartney Hofner Violin Bass. I played it upside down, so the strings were upside down. The one thing I love about it is that it gets the job done. There is really nothing I wish it had, and it is a great bass. I would definitely recommend this for beginners. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014