GSR205 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/08/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: GSR205
A quality 5-string affordably priced! Its agathis body is comfortably shaped and sculpted and its neck shape is easy to play. 2 Powersound pickups and passive EQ give it plenty of tonal range.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.7
 8.7
 9.2
 8.2
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GSR205 Reviewed by: bassplaya53, on january 24, 2008

Features: I don't know what year this bass was made but I know it was made in japan and they did a fine job. The bass has a 35 inch scale with 22 frets. It's easy to get to those higher frets with little or no trouble at all. The neck is great and super fast. It is also the thinnest neck I've played on a bass. The body is made of agathis with is a minus but has a decent tone when you fiddle with the knobs a bit. The bridge is great for re-stringing and is very durable. The active electronics are a good feature but make a fuzzy/muffled noise when they are turned up full. Your given the pretty basic knob configuration; 2 volumes, a tone and the active boost knob. The pickups aren't the best because after nearly a month of ownership, my front pickup started to sink into the body, so I suggest changing the pickups when you get it or later down the track. // 8

Sound: I play a range of metal and it suits that very well and I like to play some slapping and popping and it also sounds great with no active boost. I use a dodgey 30 watt amp which I hope to upgrade soon but, with the right tweaking, you can get any sound you want out of this bass. You can get a nice jazz tone with just the rear pickup turned down low, with amp up high, and you can get a good metal tone out of it as well. It has a lot of variety in it's sound, which means it's good for any player. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: At the factory, the guitar was set up very well and the action was perfect. The pickups were average as my front pickup started to sink within the first month. The pickups were the only flaws I noticed when I got the bass, but overall, they did a nice job on everything else. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I beleive the guitar will withstand Live playing, but I haven't played it Live yet. The hardware seems like it will last a lifetime, but I plan on upgrading soon. The strap buttons weren't very solid. The front one came loose after a while and I nearly dropped the guitar. I would use this at a gig as a main bass but I would have a backup just incase. It would be a good idea to have a backup as this bass is really meant for begginners or people playing in their room. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass is a good match to the style of music I play, it's a good match to any style of music. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately replace it. I love the thin, fast neck and the ease of use, but I don't like the pickups, but that's no biggy because I will change them soon. I compared it to a lot of different basses in it's price range but this one came out on top for it's ease of use and the neck mainly, so if you plan on playing fast stuff, and your a beginner, or have a tight budget, this bass is perfect. // 10

GSR205 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2004

Purchased from: sound control

Features: - 22-fret - 2 single active pickups (bridge/neck) - 4 dials // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action not too good, tends to rattle a lot if you don't have the action way high, but I like that anyways. Gonna get it set up by my teacher for free anyways! No worries with the neck, very smooth, good for long slides like in "Give It Away". Not jerky sounding with slides either. I got it from apro shop, so no worries with foittings either. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Looks like I could slaughter a buffalo with it and still play gigs. Lucite rather than wood so its light(for an active) buttons a bit dodgy,(bit too small) but I gotta me some straploks. Got a backup anyway, but u cud gig it without one. It holds tuning very well indeed. I use dropped -D for my E string and dropped A for my B string and it stays in tune for countless songs. The finish looks like a thermonuclear blast couldnt shift it. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect for what i play- anything from g 'n' r and funky. I reccomend this baby, specially if you just going onto 5string. Its not a demandiong guitar. Fretboard bit narrow, but otherwise a beaty. // 10

GSR205 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Superstore

Features: Plain black colour with a glossy finish on the main body. The fingerboard is made of Rosewood and the Neck itself is made with Maple wood. It has 22 Frets on the fingerboard but reaching the higher end frets (19-21) aren't too difficult to reach unless you have small hands or shorter fingers. The fingerboard also includes pearl dot inlays, making it look neat and attractive up close. It has two single-humbucker pickups, a DXN-5N for the neck and a DXN-5B for the bridge which helps give the bass a solid mid-range 'punchy' sound. It also uses a Phat II active boost which gives the bass an extra low-end enhancement giving it a booming sound for people that prefer that sound. It can also help boost the Bass' overall volume by up to 15db. It uses four knobs: Phat-EQ, Volume, Tone and Rear Pickup Volume. No extra accessories were included with the bass. // 8

Sound: I typically play a mixture of Rock-based music, including Punk, Metal, Classic and Nu-Metal. I find that the power of the bass itself is too much for a low wattage bass amp. When practising with a 10w Peavey Microbass I find it rattles the speaker and over time has distorted the sound greatly. For best results use an amp of atleast 100w, Laney, MesaBoogie and Ashdown are recommended brands if you want to get a good solid sound from this model. I also play a John Mayer/Jazz/Rock style using a Laney 100w amp (not sure on the actual model) and I find that amp gives a great selection of low end to compliment the bass' Phat II feature but also offers a great treble for players that play perhaps more slap-bass or more punchy-punk style which is well complimented by the Bass' tone peg. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the bass is amazing, it is particularly low and so is very easy to play and should be a definite purchase for first time players. No problems were present on the bass itself and so I was thoroughly pleased with it. I still use the pickups that the bass comes with as I find they give the bass the right sound for the type of music I enjoy playing and I can't see myself replacing them in the near future. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this bass for playing a number of live gigs for around four years, having owned it for about five and a half. It sounds just like it did when I first bought it and it has definitely withstood a long and extensive amount of playing. I would definitely say the reliability of the bass is a good feature and will definitely last a long time with extensive usage. // 10

Overall Impression: As I previously mentioned I generally play Rock-based music and I think this bass is a perfect instrument to use for any music influenced by Rock. I have been playing bass for six years and I have used this model as my primary bass for five of those years. I also use a Peavey Milestone III and a Stagg GT Fusion, much cheaper Bass' and not as reliable as the GSR205 and I would definitely recommend spending the little bit extra it may cost to purchase one of these bass' as it really is the perfect bass for newer players. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely purchase the same model again, but I would also still purchase another bass to use as my primary model as I feel that a more expensive bass would be more useful and reliable to me, having played for over six years. But, for a new player I definitely recommend this bass. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014