SR100 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/06/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR100
The Ibanez SR100 is one of the most balanced and comfortable basses on the market making it ideal for beginners or guitarists wanting an inexpensive bass for recording or jamming. Agathis body (a wood that sounds very similar to mahogany), maple neck and quality pickup, the SR100 bass is made for easy playing and has great sound. 22 Medium Frets, Rosewood Fretboard.
 6.3
 7.2
 5.3
review (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
SR100 Reviewed by: Mr_Pleb_Mgoo, on july 06, 2007

Features: Not sure when this guitar was made, I think it was around 2001-2002, and I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan since that's where Ibanez is. Has 22 medium frets, thin neck 34" scale. Not sure on the woods used, most likely something cheap. Has a gloss finish. Body style is classed as 'nato' on the Ibanez website, but it's basically the same as your typical Fender squire bass. Standard B10 bridge, strings end at the bridge, no stringing through. It has passive electronics, with one volume and one tone adjuster. Pickups are P style, tuners don't seem to be branded, might be Ibanez's own tuners. I also received a gig-bag with this guitar. // 7

Sound: This guitar puts out a fairly decent sound for what it is. Puts out a bit of electrical hum that you'd only hear if you turned your amp up fairly loud. The tone shaper on this guitar can really change the sound. With tone all the way up, you've got your nice punchy slap/pop sound, or a sort of metallic chunky bass sound. With the tone all the way down it is far more mellow, like 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' mellow. I play through a Warwick Blue Cab 60 bass amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty crap when I bought, I ended up paying to get it re-adjusted after my own failed attempts too. The pickups are slightly angled, if that count's for adjusting, the are angled so the parts closer to the D and A are high than the parts closer to E and G. All seems good with it, apart from the input jack, which needed replacing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Physically, this guitar will withstand playing live, although I'm not sure about the stock input jack, it seems to come loose easily, and the wires sort of rip off the jack too. Other than that it seems fairly solid. I wouldn't use it Live without some straplocks, but the finish gets dirty very easily, and is very noticeable on the black model. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and progessive rock, and the guitar seems to keep up. That said, I would recommend a guitar with J&P style pickups if you're going to play metal, to get that grunge sound more easily. I've been playing for roughly 1.5 years, and the only bass I had before this was a chunky ass Torch Vintage bass guitar. If it was stolen, I would probably just leave it, and get myself a Yamaha RBX374. There's nothing really amazing about this guitar, just decent for beginners or if you're on a low budget. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014