SR250 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/05/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR250
Overall, very impressed with this bass for the price. Feels good, plays great, and sounds great. I can get any kind of sound out of this thing, it's great!
 8.1
 8.6
 7.5
review (1) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
SR250 Reviewed by: meshow31, on september 05, 2012

Features: I'm going to start this by saying that nothing is ever a 10. 10 means perfect, and there is never a perfect instrument. That being said, this is the 4-string version (I believe Ibanez also makes 5, and 6-string versions as well). I have it in Starlight Blue (sort of a sparkly blue, but sweet looking). Mahogany body, 3 piece maple neck (bolt on), 24 medium frets, rosewood fretboard, active CAP EXF-N2 pickups, and black hardware. 1 master volume, 1 pickup blender, 3-band active eq (bass, middle, treble). The pickups are active humbuckers. The bass is pretty light, but it sustains forever which is nice. It feels great to play; a nice thin neck. Its super fast. // 8

Sound: I can get any kind of sound out of this thing, IT'S GREAT! I love the fact that there is an eq and a master volume, but I might try switching out the blender knob for just a 3-way switch (personal preference). I always play on either both, all neck, or all bridge so the knob is just kind of annoying for me, but it does help achieve more tones. Bridge pickup is very jazz bass-y, and the middle is much more round, similar to a Precision bass, but they are both HUMBUCKING pickups. This baby sounds great. I had it plugged into my 2x15 and it just roared. Personally, love he sound, but I may upgrade the pickups at some point. I'd just like to really put some serious parts into this thing. I love it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was just fine. A good, low action without any buzzing. Pickups were a good height, everything was in order and just fine. All the knows worked properly, there was life in the battery, tuners are solid, etc etc etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty solid, I've only had it a day now, but I have other Ibanez products, and they've lasted just fine. I expect this one to be the same. I'd never gig without a backup, but this is my new main bass. The finish has a good thick layer on it, it doesn't feel cheap or as if it would get scratched easily. Strap buttons were good, it was hard to get my strap on it. Which is a good sign, but I always go for the strap locks. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, very impressed with this bass for the price. Feels good, plays great, and sounds great. Can't really complain except for the pickups. And again, they are quite good for stock pickups, they really do sound pretty good, I just want DiMarzios... And I just personally like a switch to select my pickups, the knob is cool and a good idea, but I don't use it for its intended purpose so might as well change it to what I like. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014