SR300PW Review

9.2
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
SR300PW Reviewed by: aguanile, on december 09, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Features: The SR300PW that I have is a 2009 model made in Indonesia. It has 24 medium sized frets, a 34" scale. The neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, the body is made of Agathis and is finished in Pearl White. The neck is pretty thin, almost too thin for my taste, and overall this bass is very light (3.5 kg). I found that no good, simply because it feels like a toy. Some may like it light, but I prefer something heavier. There's a 4 knobs: volume, pickup selection, 2-way EQ (bass/treble, 2 knobs one over another) and slap/finger knob (some kind of EQ, in slap mode it reduces amount of mid and boost bass and treble). With bass, I also received 2 alien wrenches and cable, which was bad and I managed to break it after 3 months. // 7

Sound: I don't play anywhere, playing bass is my hobby so I don't have particular style, but for some rock, pop, funk and jazz that I played, it sounded very good. Bass is low as it is supposed to be full and worm, and treble is a little higher than I expected, but nothing that can't be fixed with proper EQing (maybe it's that stock strings, G string sound is like its from another bass). For a long time I played it through mixer but when I bought amp, I realised it was not the mixer, its about the string. Also, at some point it became noisy in finger mode, but after a 2-3 shakes noise disappeared and never appeared again. Beside that, like I said, sound is very good and I have no complains (you get what you pay and a little more) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up was excellent, both me and seller were surprised when we opened it at the store. It was almost in tune and action was near perfect. After few months neck pickup got loose so I had to tighten it. One side is now lower than other but it had no impact on sound. Also, lower EQ knob (bass) got totally loose and had to be put in place again (just tight it with smaller alien wrench). Finish is OK, but I don't recommend white model, because when you hit it, marks became very visible on white surface. I have one scratch, it's small and hard to see, but when you see it gets annoying. Neck is ok, no complains and 2 stripes on the back side of the neck are very nice esthetic detail. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My friend played my guitar once at rock concert and had no complains at all. And I believe him, after all he is pro. Construction is solid, and with proper care it looks like it can serve you for a long, long time. Surface is sensible, like all lacquered guitars. But, like I said, if you pick white finish, damage will be more visible. // 9

Overall Impression: Best quality of this bass is price and what you get for it and its excelent for a bass starters. For me, 2 most important thing are sound and reliability and both of them are great. Anything else (electronics, surface damage, etc) is of less importance to me, because it can be easily fixed or does not affect the sound at all. If it were stolen I'll probably go for something heavier and with wider neck (P-style) but if you like this style(light, narrow neck, slim body) this is a definitely a bass for you. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014