SR300PW Review

Features: 7.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SR300PW Reviewed by: aguanile, on december 09, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Features: The SR300PW that I have is a 2009 model made in Indonesia. It has 24 medium sized frets, a 34" scale. The neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, the body is made of Agathis and is finished in Pearl White. The neck is pretty thin, almost too thin for my taste, and overall this bass is very light (3.5 kg). I found that no good, simply because it feels like a toy. Some may like it light, but I prefer something heavier. There's a 4 knobs: volume, pickup selection, 2-way EQ (bass/treble, 2 knobs one over another) and slap/finger knob (some kind of EQ, in slap mode it reduces amount of mid and boost bass and treble). With bass, I also received 2 alien wrenches and cable, which was bad and I managed to break it after 3 months. // 7

Sound: I don't play anywhere, playing bass is my hobby so I don't have particular style, but for some rock, pop, funk and jazz that I played, it sounded very good. Bass is low as it is supposed to be full and worm, and treble is a little higher than I expected, but nothing that can't be fixed with proper EQing (maybe it's that stock strings, G string sound is like its from another bass). For a long time I played it through mixer but when I bought amp, I realised it was not the mixer, its about the string. Also, at some point it became noisy in finger mode, but after a 2-3 shakes noise disappeared and never appeared again. Beside that, like I said, sound is very good and I have no complains (you get what you pay and a little more) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up was excellent, both me and seller were surprised when we opened it at the store. It was almost in tune and action was near perfect. After few months neck pickup got loose so I had to tighten it. One side is now lower than other but it had no impact on sound. Also, lower EQ knob (bass) got totally loose and had to be put in place again (just tight it with smaller alien wrench). Finish is OK, but I don't recommend white model, because when you hit it, marks became very visible on white surface. I have one scratch, it's small and hard to see, but when you see it gets annoying. Neck is ok, no complains and 2 stripes on the back side of the neck are very nice esthetic detail. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My friend played my guitar once at rock concert and had no complains at all. And I believe him, after all he is pro. Construction is solid, and with proper care it looks like it can serve you for a long, long time. Surface is sensible, like all lacquered guitars. But, like I said, if you pick white finish, damage will be more visible. // 9

Overall Impression: Best quality of this bass is price and what you get for it and its excelent for a bass starters. For me, 2 most important thing are sound and reliability and both of them are great. Anything else (electronics, surface damage, etc) is of less importance to me, because it can be easily fixed or does not affect the sound at all. If it were stolen I'll probably go for something heavier and with wider neck (P-style) but if you like this style(light, narrow neck, slim body) this is a definitely a bass for you. // 10

SR300PW Reviewed by: DiamondEyed_Jer, on october 30, 2015

Price paid: € 295

Purchased from: Thomann

• It was made in Indonesia, but I don't know the year
  • There are 24 medium frets on the neck scale
  • The top is solid wood but not as heavy as others
  • The bass has got a Mahogany body and a 5-piece Maple/Rosewood SR4 neck with a rosewood fingerboard that is easy carry around
  • The bridge is an Accu-Bast B120
  • The hardware is cosmo black
  • There are two Ibanez EXF-N2 pickups that you can switch between
  • Stylesweeper 3-band EQ EQB-IIID
  • The bass is pearl white with pearl dot inlays
  • There was a gig bag included when we bought it at Thomann so it was easy to bring along and we didn't need to buy an extra one, just the cables
  • I have no idea what is meant with tuners so I can't tell the brand either, but if it's what I think it is there wasn't a tuner included... if then a non-locking.
// 8

Sound: I don't really have one music style but many and I've got no problems with any style no matter what song I play it fits good and is played softly. I mostly just use the Bass V-Amp from Behringer to use some effects with it and mix the sound with music I'm playing to which is very useful because I always try to play to the original songs as soon as possible. Without any effects it's a rich, bright, soft sound with which you can play walking lines very smoothly and you need a lot of aggression to get a harsh tone out of it if everything fits. I mostly use the effects Nu-Metal Gain, Thunderbird, Rock Classic, Brit Hi Gain, British Classic or none at all because I just need them if I'm playing Metal or Rock and prefer to do as much as possible with the original sound of the bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up at the V-Amp was pretty easy to comprehend and done in five minutes though we needed to buy some extra cabled to use the headphones and the aux in because we had the wrong ones at home. The pickups were adjusted fine and didn't need to be changed in any way. The top and the bridge were properly worked out and have no visible flaws. The bass didn't contain any visible flaws found, the bracing was good, the fretwire properly filed, the finish was fine, the wood has good quality, the hardware isn't rusted or oxidised, the tuning pegs were a bit solid, the nut was properly cut, the saddle properly fit and the pickup selector wasn't noisy or anything, the controls were fine, but the strap buttons were loose and still need to be tightened from time to time. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Live playing long concerts is no problem and I've already tested it sometimes as did a friend of mine - both without any problematic circumstances. The hardware seems to last pretty good and long, but I don't know how long the battery runs. The strap buttons need to be adjusted from time to time because they get loose.  I used it on a gig without a backup though I would prefer to have one just in case because I don't own the bass that long and am not sure if it'll still last in some years or when the battery runs low because there's nothing to notice that early and to be ready for that. So for every case I always got an extra battery with me. Nothing wears off till now and everything still looks good although I play very often and long. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of styles and the bass combined with the V-Amp matches with everything. I play nearly a year now. Other gear: Bass V-Amp from Behringer. Not really because everything is totally fine and I know nothing I'd need now. I would probably the same bass, but maybe in a different color. I love that it's easier than most Fender or Squire basses and that you can play with easily for hours without hurting even if you're a beginner. I hate that I have to adjust the strap buttons aren't solid enough. I compared it to the Fender and the Squire of my father, but took this one because it's not as heavy and softer in the sound. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ JS1000 8.6 Electric Guitars 11/02/2015