SR400 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/23/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR400
Soundgear series 4-string electric bass guitar featuring a soft maple body, die-cast bridge and active EQ.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.4
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
reviews (7) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
SR400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2006

Features: This bass has a very impressive rock feel. Ibanez generally produces rock instruments, not jazz (which is the genre I play), but this bass has still served me very, very well. I've got the five-string version (yeah, they make those) and it's awesome. It was my first bass, and I really lucked out. This is an amazing instrument. Also, it's got a wide range of control on the bass itself. Five knobs total: the bass, middle, treble, volume, and pickup select. The knobs also have the ever-useful "neutral click" thing on them, which makes it easy to level out without having to play around with it and find it yourself. I just can't express how much I love having the tone knob split into three different knobs. // 7

Sound: Simply put, it works. I play jazz bass, and Ibanez is generally considered a rock company, but this bass suits me fine. I've bought other basses that I thought would fit my style better, but they never really make the cut. I always come back to this one. I think I've gotten used to the tone, with it being my first and all. My sound rating is for the rock sound. I'd give it a 6 for jazziness. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used, so I can't complain. It was in pretty good condition when I got it, though, so, yeah. I guessed that it had been used about twice, then pawned, because it still had a lot of the plastic wrap on it from the dealer. It even still had the sticker on the back with the name of the person Who constructed it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I usually treat my basses very, very carefully, so this thing is still in great condition. The finish is really thick, which is pretty useful. If the finish wasn't as think as it is, mine would have all kinds of nicks and scratches on it, but luckily I was able to buff them out (since they were only on the finish, after all). The strap buttons are your typical strap buttons. They stay put pretty well. The only problem I've had with the hardware is the battery running out, and that's supposed to happen. Oh, and a knob fell off, but that was easily fixed with one of those L-shaped wrenches. // 8

Overall Impression: Loved this bass to death. It's not a good starter, but if you're pretty skilled this bass can really maximize your potential. It's made for rock, though, and not the best slapper in the world, so if you want to maximie its potential, I'd suggest buying it for speedy metal riffs. The slap is weak. Don't buy this for jazz. I can't emphasize that enough. // 8

SR400 Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on october 24, 2005

Features: I'm not exactly sure where it was made but I'm almost positive that Ibanez is based out of Japan. It has 24 medium frets. It has a maple body, a three piece maple neck with rosewood fretboard, pearl dot inlays, and an accu-cast bridge. It is an exaggerated strat type body. The top horn is longer than a strat and the lower horn in shorter than a start. This makes for really easy access of all of the frets. The bass has active electronics, I believe that they are built with DKG pickups. It has a P-Bass style pickup and a jazz bass style pickup. This bass is really focused on tone. It has one volume knob an overall tone adjuster, then a three band on board EQ with treble, mid and bass. Also the guy that had it before me put on jim dunlop strap-loks which work phenomanally This bass came with a gig bag. Also please note that becuase I got this bass as an upgrade from a Squier P-Bass that I am probably gonna really rave about it. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style very well. I am part of a band called Spherical (you can see us in the band promo section) and we play mostly classic rock covers. This bass can do it all. I can get a lot of tones out of it. With leaving the EQ on my head at noon all the way around I can get any sound that I want. From a really punchy bass to a really tinny trebbly (if that's a word) sound. However I will note that I is rather noisy on high treble, but what thing isn't. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I acutually got the guitar used. I guess that it had been played by a pro musican so he had put a lot of time and energy into custom fitting to the way that he wanted it. It just so happens that the way that he likes his action is just about the same way that I like mine. The only flaw that I can see on the bass is on the back there is a partwhere you can see the maple. On the front there is also a large scratch but this only shows up in certain light. But I'm sure that these scratches are just from heavy use before I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is also very durable. I have never had a string pop on me and it goes out of tune only when the pegs get moved. I live in michigan and once left it in a car over night in the winter. I expected the thing to be really out of tune but I was still in perfect tune. However the strap buttons are starten to loosen. This is because the previous owner must have removed them lots of times, and stripped the screw hole. The bass overall is really durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I dunno if I would get this exact same bass, I would like one witha stained finish I love the look of the wood. However I would definatly get another Ibanez bass. I really can't think of anything that I would whish it had. Beauty, quality, and durability make this into almost a perfect bass. // 9

SR400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2004

Features: I recently bought an Ibanez sr 400 bass guitar. It's a Korean made guitar 24 frets there are a tone and volume control along with 3 pre-amp controls it is a combination jazz/presicions pick ups with active electornics with 3 band eq maple body with rosewood fret board and pearl dot inlays mad of soft maple. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is not so great straight from the factory but once the strings are lowered it is wonderful, the pickups are adjusted well if you keep the strings at the level that the factory sets them at, the only problem I have had with this bass has been the control knobs coming loose but I have had it for 2 years and that is to be expected with the pounding of taking it to shows and such. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass wil definitely withstand live palying it is a quality made guitar, the hardware is very sturdy and should stand up to normal use, the finish does wear alot around the pick ups but with a coat of wax it looks like brand new, the strap button do come loose ocasionally, I think this is definitely the kind of bass that you could use on a gig without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play alot of stuff from punk to death metal to 80's hair metal and thsi bass can handle it all, I have been playing for 6 years and I have a Fender american jazz bass but I usually just keep that around at a show incase I break a string or the tuning of the song changes drastically, this is definitely the kind of you can depend on and it will stand up to just about anything you can put it through. // 10

SR400 Reviewed by: AcillateM666, on december 23, 2004

Features: - Made in 2000, Japan - Hi gloss light amber finish, slightly transparent - 3pcs SR4 neck - Light mahogany body - Medium frets - Accu-Cast B20 bridge (19mm string spacing) - DX-P neck pu - DX-J bridge pu - EQB-IIIB 3-band EQ - Elixir equipped // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty much in great shape, quality you would get from a custom bass. The pickups were perfectly adjusted and contained no flaws what so ever. Everything seemed to be in order. No static from the pu's, no loose controls. Pefect and mainly comfortable fit and feel, sitting or standing. Great bass, surely underpriced. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would surely withstand live playing in it's toughest form. The hardware is top quality and seems like it will last a life time. The strap buttons are solid as hell and probably wouldn't come loose unless your forced them, as well as any other of the hardware. The finish is very durable and will only be effected if left in the cold for a couple hours causing the hi gloss finish to crack. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of playing ranges from metal to death metal to soft and classic rock, this bass definately will get a little of everything as well as the right tone for every song. If this were stolen from me I would probably cry and try to find the same one of kill the man who stole it and take it back, if some1 put one scratch on it, I would probably go insane. I love absolutely everything about this bass. My favourite features would be the tone options and the comfortable body and neck making it easier to play. I chose this bass because it was so affordable and simply amazing. I had compaired to several Yamaha and Jackson basses that just didnt come close to this one. I really only wish it had custom inlays like the Ivy On Steve Vai's jem guitars. Great bass, I suggest you buy it. // 10

SR400 Reviewed by: skateswitch, on july 12, 2007

Features: I think this bass is korean made, mine is an older '90s model, differences between the newer models is they now include passive pickups, and I believe 2 volume knobs and 2 knobs comparted to my older my with a master volume 2 tone and passive system. The bass has a fast SR4 neck, medium frets, 24 of them for all thoose highs, my model has split P/J pickups I don't think the newer ones do, the body is solid, gotoh tuners, great strong finish solid top. // 9

Sound: One of the best sounding basses I've played, especialy for it's mid ranged price (around 450), has great low it with lots of tone also, picks up notes very well, sounds good even through my small Crate bx10 pratice amp, fits in great with metal that I play, but mess around with the tone knobs and you can dial it into to your sound with the split pickups, great sound for the price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass is well balanced and pickups are fitted well, not to high or low. The actions is alittle high for my taste, I'm guessing it's stock, but with the simple bridge design it can easily be adjusted to your taste. The finish is pretty think, holds up very well, several years old and still in great condition. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is strong and tight, several years old and hardware still feels like new, the finish on the back stays on good. Straps buttons were just regular strap buttons, I replaced my for strap locks but I do that with anything I plan on straping up and play, good reliable bass, no back up needed. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about half a year, best bass I've owned, best I've played out of friends and such, I play metal and the sound is great for it, good punchy low end, fast neck, great note, has the sound to stand out a bit. I like the classic Ibanez bass shape it has, nice finish and contour, would definatly replace it if it were lost. // 9

SR400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2008

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I think mine was made in 2002 and I like it a lot. I bought it when I was into bass which lasted for 3 months which I could barely afford it. It has 24 frets that are meduim width which is rosewood fretboard. the whole thing is solid and I think the neck and body is made of maple. the finish is black. the body stlye is Ibanez design and has deadbolt bridge. It has good controls with 2 volume and 3 tone for each pickup. I enjoy how you can alter the sound.I think my pickups are custom. there's 3 single coils. I got locking tuning keys but I lost the peices. I was suprise how much accesories I got with it. for one the hard case which is very nice, and got a set of strings and a cable and strap. I also found allen keys to fix the action, but I bought it used so that might have been throw ins. // 10

Sound: The sound can be used for rock, metal, blues, etc. but not like jazz or pretty chord bass backup. I play all types on guitar from jazzy to death metal and has bright and rich tone. It sounds good on quality practice and performance amps. I would say it has good sound it you like hard to normal stuff but not soft. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up great, good action. the pickups are perfect, the bridge and wood are good. the electrnics were done perfect, no noise and good long lasting bateries never had to change them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has awesome durabily and it will hold on live playing definely with Live playing. The strap locks I got worked perfectly untill I lost the peices. Yes I would use it at a gig without a backup has murder reliabilty. the finish is also thick and reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every thing so it works out I've been playing roughly off and on six years but started to take it seriously for 3. and I own a guitar, half stack, acoustic guitar, practice amp for guitar and bass, hard cases soft cases cables straps etc. At the time I wanted a bass but I would ask for a guitar knowing the knowledge I have now. If it would be stolen I would be mad because I'm selling it for a new guitar. I like the electronics for it they are clean and I like how easy the action and neck alteration are easily changed. I chose this one because it is a great not too expensive bass. and if I were a bass player I would love it. I wish it had locking tuning keys because all the winding. // 10

SR400 Reviewed by: blenderking, on february 23, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Made in India, I think it was made in 2004. 24 frets, Rose wood. There are 4 knobs, Volume and that's all I know! Pickups are DXJ and DXP. I got a hard case with it. Pretty good deal if you ask me. // 10

Sound: The SR400 is very versatile, you can do every thing from a smooth Jazz to a punchy rock. Not very noisy, I have a Peavey 115 TNT which is also awesome, it's a bit noisy amp though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: DOn't know what much of this is, but every thing was fine when I bought it off craigslist so I don't know if he had it fixed or any thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. It will last forever. I love this Guitar // 10

Overall Impression: I like rock and earlier rock/Jazz like Stevie Wonder or MJ. I have never played Bass before but previously I have played guitar for 1 year or two (but I am some kind of musical wonder, I play 7-8 instruments and I get stuff really fast so, you could say I've been playing for the equivalent of 2-3 years) and before that, Piano as long as I can remember, if there was a better deal I would get that but I don't think I'll find one (I paid $180 for a bass that sells for $500 on Amazon) but money aside I would SO get this one! I love every thing about this bass. It looks good, plays good. I rest my case. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014