SR405 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/24/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR405
Features the SR-style body in light maple, a hard maple 3-piece neck with rosewood fretboard, a split-coil Dynamix neck pickup, and single-coil Dynamix bridge pickup. Controls include volume and balance, plus 3 bands of cut/boost tone controls.
 8.5
 8.6
 8.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
SR405 Reviewed by: mhylands, on july 24, 2007

Features: The Ibanez SR405-BK 5-string bass guitar is made in Korea, featuring 24 medium-size frets on a Rosewood fretboard and hard Maple neck. Has a 34" scale, basswood body, pearl dot inlays, and active electronics. Accu-cast B25 bridge, split-coil IBZ DXH-MN neck pickup, and single-coil IBZ DXH-MB bridge pickup. Controls include volume, balance, and 3 bands of cut/boost (1 passive, 2 active). // 9

Sound: Since I play a lot of metal, as well as other various styles, I need something that can be heard through highly distorted guitars, and with active electronics and 3 bands of cut/boost, I'm able to dial in the perfect tone whether playing through my Rogue RB120 120W Bass Combo or through the Ampeg SVT-810E Bass Enclosure. Unfortunately I have had difficulties with getting my effects pedals to work properly with it, possibly due to the active settings. Overall, it is a relatively quiet bass when not in use, yet it has plenty of natural attack, and with the right settings you can get almost any sound. Also, by setting the balance properly, I have been able to get almost a chorus-like quality out of this bass. Overall, very amazing natural sound with lots of versatility. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this bass at Guitar Center, so naturally it had been messed around with a lot. The action was very low, but easily adjusted, and the pickups were found to be at the perfect height and didn't wiggle around at all. All the controls, screws, tuners, and hardware were all securely fastened to the instrument, and make for a very sturdy instrument, the only problem I had since I did get it at Guitar Center was all the scratches from much use, but the finish is deep enough that you can hardly tell, but no chips at all. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass is wonderful Live, and everything seems so secure and sturdy, that it could probably fit Live one or two generations and still be considered solid. The strap buttons were very secure, however I installed Schaller Strap Locks which have stayed on very well. It's definately a very dependable instrument, however I would still suggest a backup just in case a string were to break so that you could Switch it out real quick (by the way I have yet to break a string on this bass, though that is probably due to the quality of the strings and not necessarily the bass itself). Again, the finish is very likely to last as it is quite deep. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing bass guitar for 3 years now, though I played in Orchestra before that for 5 years, and I must say that this is just such a wonderful instrument. Definately worth it to buy a new one if it were to be "misplaced." The tonal qualities of it are just so wonderful, and the tuning is reliable enough that I only tune it as often as I do because I like to change tunings a lot, which is almost effortless. Don't like that I haven't been able to have it work properly with my effects pedals, but I usually don't need them anyways, so not much trouble there. Love the balance control, because of the chorus-like effect I can get. I have tried other basses before, but this one was chosen due to the very fast and comfortable neck, the active electronics, and the tone controls. I got it in a black model, so my only wish is that I could of bought the quilted models, but they weren't available at the time, but still it is very beautiful. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014