SR505 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 11/18/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR505
Sleek, sexy and sonically versatile are the reasons Soundgears can be found in every kind of music from gospel to goth to garage rock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
reviews (5) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
SR505 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Features: - Made in Korea - 24 small-medium frets - 5 strings - 38" scale - Solid body - Ebony fretboard with mother-of-pearl dots - Maple neck with matte finish - Stained maple body with clear finish - All active electronics - 4 knobs: volume, bass boost, and 2 double-knobs (tone and presence) for each pickup - 2 Active ADX5 pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was set up real good. The two pickup knobs were a little loose, but I kust tightened them with an allan key. It has a really smooth action and I've never had any problems with the electronics or anything. The finish had a few small dents and chips, but that is to be expected because it is used. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is solid. I've never had to fix or adjust anything except those 2 knobs. I know people ho've played this same model bass for years without a backup (except for four strings and fretlesses). The bass's neck withstands all sorts of temperature and humidity changes with no warping of the neck. It almost never goes out of tune. My only advice would be to bring an extra battery, and tools to tighten the knobs and hardware. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is something to look for if you're in the market for a good, reliable 5 string. It sits perfectly on your lap and isn't too heavy, so it's easy to play on stage. The only thing I don't like about the bass is the big scale. I'm pretty short and it gets kinda hard to reach all the way to the end of the neck. Overall, though, it's great. // 10

SR505 Reviewed by: Mijo, on november 18, 2011

Price paid: € 530

Purchased from: Mitros Music, Serbia

Features: Made in Indonesia, dunno the year. 34" scale, 24 medium (I guess medium) frets, rosewood fingerboard, jatoba/bubinga neck. Neck is so solid that you have a feeling it won't break even if you try. It's very slim and comfortable even for a 4 string bass. Body is made of brown mahogany, looks nice, it's very slim and not heavy. It has active electronic with no active/passive switch. Controls are amazing. You have bass, mid, treble, mid boost switch as I call it, pickup balance and master volume. Pickups are great, they give wide variety of sounds. I got it with cable and dunno the word, the pentagon like thing. Also Elixir strings which are great! // 10

Sound: I mostly play funky stuff and varieties of it. It fits perfect! Also, when I practice, I play some metal and classic r'n'r. Fits perfect also! I use Ashton BA15 amp which is not very good but this guitar simply sounds great. Of course, it sounds a lot better on a better amp and also if you plug it into a PC and play through speakers. Basically, you don't even need an amp since you have an EQ on guitar, which pretty much covers important stuff. You can plug it directly into a mixer on a gig and not loose much which I did once. It's never noisy if amp settings are flat (again, you have EQ on guitar). But if you max mid on both guitar and amp, you will be able to hear a lot of stuff you don't want to, but you don't even want to touch an amp EQ with this bass in your hands - there's no need. You can get ANY, I really mean ANY sound you want. Why? EQ settings combinations, there are a lot of them + mid booster/cutter switch which doubles the number of combinations + balance between pickups which X times multiplies the number + position of your right hand and place where you pluck the strings (near neck, near bridge, between) + the way you play, agressive or not. You can easily get a Fender Jazz Bass sound, or Musicman's humbucking sound. Whatever you want! I would give 15 on this section. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight neck, enough low strings. Very good. Pickups were little oblique and one was little higher than the other but after 5 min of work, it was fine. Not a big deal to me. Body finish is not so good, it easily get scratched and indented if you doesn't care. I'm not very good at slap and pop, and from popping in the place where your index finger should be, there are a lot of little scratches from unarticulated fingers. :) Body finish really should be better. 9 Because of body finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played live several times and there were no problems. Only backup you will need is a 9V battery. The one I got with guitar still works after 2 months. Strap buttons are as they should be. I've been writing in last section about finish so I won't do it again. :) // 10

Overall Impression: + What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Already said. + How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? 3 Years, just an mentioned amp. + Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? Nope. + If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Definitely! It's a best buy for this money! + What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? Love everything except the body finish. + Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? I've compared it to Mexican Fender Jazz Bass and they can't be compared in my opinion. Fender is more expensive and less versatile. Compared it to Cort B5 and GB75, first one is very similar but a lot more uncomfortable and less EQ options. GB75 is not worth mentioning. Also I've compared it to some Spector which is a little bit more expensive and sound and pleasure are nothing compared to this one. + Anything you wish it had? Actually nothing. :) To summarise, THIS IS THE BEST BUY IN PRICE RANGE BETWEEN 0 AND 700. // 10

SR505 Reviewed by: PluckU, on february 13, 2009

Features: I purchased my Ibanez SR505 in December of 2008. The serial number says that it was constructed in October of 2008 in Indonesia, so it is a 2008 model. This bass can get it's player any tone with the 3 band EQ, pick-up blender, and master volume. It comes standard with Bartolini MK-1 bridge and neck active humbucking Pickups. Gotoh tuners round off the headstock and on down the standard SR505 you have centered Abalone inlays. 24 medium frets makes on a 5 piece Jatoba/bubinga neck make this bass complete! A new feature is the 9-v battery compartment: an easy flick of the wrist allows for easy access, no more screw drivers! This bass has a mahogany finish. // 10

Sound: I mainly became interested in this bass after seeing many metal bassists use the SR series, and many others using other basses in the Ibanez collection. You coulnt ask for anything more from a metal bass. Upon further research, I found this bass to be the most reliable/versatile bass from Ibanez. Most of Ibanez's sig models have the SR body! I run this mad-machine through a Peavey practice amp through most the week, and when I play my bi-weekly gig with the band, I run it through a 90's model 1x15 cabinet with a Peavey tour series 450 and it sounds like a dream. Not at all noisy if you have it hanging on your torso. But the best thing of all, is the variety this bass has! You can dial in any tone with just the 3-way EQ and pickup blender. This bass is used by Pros in Blues, Jazz, Metal, Rock, etc... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of Guitar Center, this bass was set-up for a god. The action was nice and low, the strings properly adjusted over the pickups and the strings strung perfectly on the head stock. Plastic was still on the pick-ups when I purchased it. It was quite dusty around the neck pickup and I had to clean it out, but nothing that would have changed my mind on buying such a complete bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The dudes in Indonesia did really well assembling this bass. I have yet to have a problem with the strap buttons coming off or malfunctioning. It has withstood 4 Live performances, each in excess of 90 minutes on and off the stage. The mahogany finish so so beautiful. It grows on me because you can't really smudge it and the oils from my hand make it glisten. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, I PLAY only metal and prog, and this is the perfect match for any level metal/prog bassist. I have been playing bass for 3 years, 2 of those 3 years was spent researching for my perfect bass and learning everything I could about bass electronics. I would buy this bass all over again if need be. I clocked in about 5-6 hours of in store side-by-side comparing and this bass shined above all others! The only thing I wish were different about it, would be a possible mono-rail bridge, it wouldn't Hurt. // 10

SR505 Reviewed by: martindurin, on november 29, 2010

Price paid: € 588.14

Purchased from: kytary.cz

Features: - Made in Indonesia in 2010 - Five string 24 frets - Body: massive mahogany - Neck made from 5 pieces - Fretboard palisander - Color: brown mahogany - Bartolini MK1 pickups - Active - Bridge: Accu-Cast B25 - Diapason: 864 mm - Strings: Elixir - Radius: 305 mm - Knobs: 1x volume, 1x balance, bass-mid-treble (3x) // 10

Sound: Sound is pretty nice. Thanks to the 3-band equaliser, you can modify the sound in the way you like it. Suits into a wide variety of music styles. (There had to be more characters in this paragraph but I do not know what to write, so: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam elementum ultrices gravida.) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything's all right here. I am not any guitar expert but I judge it's okay. (There had to be more characters in this paragraph but I do not know what to write, so: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam elementum ultrices gravida.) // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfect for home practice and also for gigs. I do not see anything wrong with it. Maybe I would be afraid a little about dropping the bass. It's not a massive piece at all and it should break. (There had to be more characters in this paragraph but I do not know what to write) // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and it suits even in these styles. I had a Stagg bass before so the difference is guite gigantic. I absolutely do not regret buying it, it's the best thing you can find in this price relation. If it were stolen I would do everything I can to find the thief and If I were unsuccessful, I would buy a new one. // 10

SR505 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2011

Purchased from: Chamberlain Music

Features: - Made in 2010 in Indonesia. - 24 Medium frets. Maple fretboard. - 5 piece neck made from Jatoba and Bubinga. - Mahogany body. - Brown Mahogany Finish. - Bartolini MK1 split coil soapbar passive pickups. - Active 3 Band EQ. Volume, pickup balance and mid frequency controls. - Two allen keys included, for the truss rod and bridge. // 10

Sound: Like any Soundgear series bass, this easily suits any genre of music. The 3 band EQ has got you covered for any tone you could think of, and you can quickly change the tone dramatically with the balance control. It is capable of thumping P-Bass style sounds, woody Thunderbird tones and rich, near-Musicman quality brightness. Great Acoustic sound as well, with fantastic sustain and clear notes that will ring out. With the EQ completely balanced it can be a bit of a challenge to get a clear growl out of the low B without the G sounding too harsh. A little fiddling with the EQ and even pickup height can sort that out straight away. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not being bought from a shop, it wasn't brilliantly set up. By no means was it badly set up, though. It was unboxed with superb low action, and the intonation was spot-on. I did however get a bit of fret buzz around the 8th fret on E and had to adjust the truss rod. No big deal, but perhaps not so for relative newcomers to the instrument. Pickups were fairly low, I prefer high pickups for a very high output. Again, not a problem. Otherwise perfect out of the box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this bass live (for reasons I'll explain later) but it is very sturdy. Very well put together. I imagine for live use it would be heavenly, due to its amazing light weight and unbelievable playability. I would take extra care with the finish though. // 10

Overall Impression: As a 5 string bass, I'm not sure they come much better than this, especially for the price. The neck is very fast and very thin. However, it is just not for me. Mainly because I really don't need the low B. It's fantastic fun to play, even if I don't use it live. The string spacing is a bit of an issue for me, brilliant for my fretting hand, not so much for my plucking hand. Picking can prove a bit more difficult, and slapping definitely requires a lot of accuracy. Just as a note, the body feels so damn sexy. The curves and contours. My God. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ EDR170 8.7 Electric Guitars 11/18/2014