SR506 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/02/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR506
The Ibanez SR506 Bass is an incredibly well-crafted and equipped bass for its price. It features a slim, fast SR6 5-piece wenge and bubinga neck on a sculpted mahogany body.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SR506 Reviewed by: Fingerboy18, on august 04, 2008

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Features: The Ibanez SR506 is a 34" scale bass guitar made in Korea, 24 medium frets (2 octaves), solid top. Mahogany body and a 5 piece laminated bubinga/wenge bolt on neck. Natural finish. Standard single piece fast loading bridge. Bartolini MK1 on-board preamp with 3 band semi-parametric equalizer. Volume, 3 band tone, and pickup blender controls. Two Bartolini MK1-6 soap bar pickups. Non locking tuners, but very dependable. I rarely need to tune after storing it in its case. // 8

Sound: This instrument can produce anything from a mellow growl to a high zing. It suits whatever it needs to. I tend to get a favorable tone by keeping all EQ flat and roll back the treble. I also like a little more signal through the neck pickup for a fat, mellow sound. Nothing is noisy except when you crank the treble up a good amount. I would prefer to have a deeper and richer sounding instrument. The wood choices create a snappier sound. I may need to invest in some half-round strings to compensate. The low B is still pretty tight and defined for a 34" scale. Harmonics ring pretty well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Its intonation was a little off, it was not tuned(this is because it can be damaged being at full tension during shipping). The action was higher than I wanted it; simple fix. The pickups were both flat and at an appropriate height, but I adjusted that as well. Everything looked and worked as it should. Everything was tight and snug. Overall, very good job. You simply can not guess how the customer would want their action, I did not expect them to get it right. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It absolutely will withstand the rigors of playing live. The hardware has never been touched. The strap buttons are decently small, but it should hold up fine. I do depend on it and I would gig without a backup. The brown mahogany finish is beautiful and has lasted. // 10

Overall Impression: I play jazz, progressive rock, metal, rock, pop, blues and more. It works well with simple, obvious adjustments. I have been playing for six years. I own an Ampeg B2-RE bass head, Carvin BRX10.4 Neo bass speaker cabinet, dbx 160a compressor, and a Peavey TKO 115. I would try something else or save up for another bass if it was stolen. I really wish this bass came with a monorail bridge. When I play the low B decently hard, it vibrates the other strings. // 9

SR506 Reviewed by: c3powil, on june 02, 2014

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: It was made in Indonesia in 2010, I believe. With 24 frets, Mahogany body, 5 piece bubinga/jatoba neck, rosewood fretboard, non-lacquered body and neck, B-106 bridge, Bartolini MK1-6 pickups, and MK1 3 band EQ. In addition to the 3 band EQ there is a master volume, pickup blend, and active/passive toggle switch.

The Bartolini pickups are a very nice touch, and the preamp is simple but effective. Every piece of hardware seems well built. My only qualm would be that the active and passive modes don't seem to differ very much. I'm glad that the option exists, nonetheless, because many time I find that a setting that doesn't seem to work very well in the active mode works better in passive mode and vice versa. // 8

Sound: I play in a metal band, but I enjoy funk, post rock, jazz, and an overall punchy and clear solo bass tone. This bass nails it. Of course it wont get exactly that perfect Fender Jazz or P bass tone, it wont sound like an Ernie Ball Music Man bass, and it wont give you that distinct Warwick growl, but that's not why you buy a bass with soap-bar pickups. It gives a good tone for every situation and a great tone for most situations. Mainly, this bass is clear, smooth, defined, and balanced. I don't have any intentions of selling, trading, or otherwise getting rid of this bass any time soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this bass used, so I can't comment on any of the factory settings, but after a 35 dollar tune-up by my local mom and pop guitar store, it was playing fast and had low low action. Definitely one of the better feeling basses I have played. It is important to note here the difference between the Korean made models and the Indonesian made models. Other than the lack of active/passive toggle switch, the Korean models have much thicker necks. This is not necessarily a drawback to those models, but I do prefer the thinner neck of the Indonesian made models. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not really much to say here, other than I use this as my main bass without a backup. Nothing about this bass makes me think it will not last. It seems sound enough, solid, holds tune, sounds good, feels good. It weighs about as much as you would expect a six string bass to weigh, but it's not heavy, and it doesn't nose dive with a strap. Maybe the battery could die, but then I could just switch it to passive mode and all would be well. I really like the fact that this bass is not ultra-light like a lot of Ibanez basses that I have played. It makes it seem solid and well built. Definitely not a toy. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal, this bass rocks. For solo tapping, it's perfect. For just about everything else it's great, as long as you don't ask it to do something it wasn't designed to do, like nail a vintage P-bass tone. I will say that this bass isn't the best for slap style. The strings are pretty close, but I bet it can be done with practice. I've been playing this bass for about six months, and I've been a bassist for about seven years. If this bass was lost, stolen, or broken, I would greatly consider buying another. There are other great basses in it's price range, new, but if I could get the same model for the same price that I got this one for, I definitely would. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014