SR600 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/16/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SR600
The bass has 24 frets which is just peachy for solos and believe me, you will want to solo on this bad boy.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.4
 8.3
 6.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SR600 Reviewed by: tasnikkhan, on august 20, 2012

Features: First of all, this is a review for an Ibanez SR600 and NOT and SR500. I'm surprised that UG doesn't have that model listed in their directory. Regardless, I got mine around a year ago and it was made in 2011 at the Fujigen factory in Japan. I consider myself lucky as many people happen to get their guitars from Indonesia. Moving on, the guitar has 24 frets which is just peachy for solos and believe me, you will want to solo on this bad boy. My one was made from soft ash which gave it a mellow tone. Should the sound happen to be too mellow for your tastes then BAM! You have a three band EQ which has plenty of travel through the entire frequency response. The EQ is also tuned very nicely. A nice little addition is the inclusion of a midrange frequency select switch. The switch is tuned to rather usable midrange frequencies and the sounds are very distinct from one another. The bridge that comes with this bass is one of the shitty pot metal bridges that Ibanez has used over and over again but thankfully the saddles are machined from steel which is really good to know. A cool little thing about the bridge is that the saddles are guided by rails which keeps the saddles nice and aligned when the strings are off. The bridge is outfitted with Bartolini MK-4 PASSIVE pickups which channel through to an ACTIVE EQ circuit. I personally prefer Active EQ's as they have a fuller range compared to their passive counterparts and the lower impedance output to the amp is less susceptible to tone loss over long cable runs. I refuse to acknowledge the battery as a place to whine about. It really pisses me off when people list this as a con. If you knowingly own an active instrument, you must have an extra 9V in your gig bag. It should be part of your regular equipment. A good sign is that the Batteries last a LONG time in the bass so replacements should be far and between. Remember that the bass will simply not function without a battery. By the way, the pickups are of Soap-bar variety and the sounds that I get out of them are quite decent and I haven't felt that I'm missing out on high quality sounds. The controls consist of a Volume knob, a blend pot (that's right, no individual volume controls per pickup), Bass knob, Mid Knob, Treble Knob, Mid frequency Switch. // 9

Sound: I don't know about you pros or you mad tone gurus but there hasn't been one sound that I couldn't produce with this bass. When I say "Sound" I don't mean reckless clatter that you often get with inferior products. The soft sounding ash wood along with the bartolini pickups and their EQ system has covered whatever style I ever wanted to play. Want a jass bass sound? Just pull down the treble and boost a little of the mids, Like the heavy metal slap bass tones? Just boost the treble. You name it, the bass did it. Ease Of Use The bass is also one of lightest basses I have ever had the pleasure of handling. Couple that with high quality construction, a balanced profile when hung with a strap, low action and above average electronics and you are looking at a bass that is ridiculously light which instantly responds to light fingerstyle plucking all the way to heavy duty tapping. As I said before, the bass basically played itself. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Considering the fact that this is my first real bass I was worried that I may be spending a bit too much on a first instrument... WRONG! This has been the best value I I have gotten in quite a long time as I can easily get the sounds of professional artists and have my own signature tone within seconds of picking it up. This bass is an amazing value and I think that every beginner should steer clear of any other products. Save 'up some money junior if you're really interested in playing cos this bass is gonna Drive ya nuts. If you're cheaping out on your first instrument. You will probably lose interest in playing halfway through your bass dream. The wow factor Just picture an Ibanez S with a few extra millimeters of girth and add the beautiful flowing lines of the nude ash wood right under your fingers. One look at this bad boy and I knew that I had to have it. The finish is simply... natural. If you don't like it, go spend your money elsewhere but if you are looking for a touch of class and mature music. Stop right here and grab this. It sucked me in and it'll probably suck you in too. If you're anything like me and simply a guy that wants to buy an instrument that will give you resonant piano like sounds as well as throaty Warwick growl. Do your ears and eyes a favor and buy this bass. You wont regret it, I didn't. Oh and did I mention how exquisite the matte hardware looks on the natural body? Lets just say that online pictures don't do it justice. All you need to do to fall in love is to simply TOUCH! (I mean it in every sense of the word). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Here's where I feel that I am beginning to get my money's worth. Everything fits perfectly and all the lines meet up with less than a millimeter of clearance from each other. The wood feels completely amazing under my hands as I rub the body and the neck down and I really feel the bass resonating through my body as I play. Its a rather amazing feeling and the sound coming out of it is just as impressive. There was one problem though, the tuning key nuts were a little loose as were the knobs itself. This was a bother at first when The bass began to rattle in my hands but one quick tightening session and its been wonderful ever since. // 10

Overall Impression: From the moment I purchased this bass I feel like a new dimension of music has opened right in front of me. As an amateur guitar collector This is my second Ibanez instrument and I couldn't have been happier. I am running this through a solid state power amplifier that is connected to traditional full range speakers but the sound I get is nothing short of amazing. Everything about this bass screams high quality and the bass seems to play itself. No dead notes, seriously low action, impressive EQ system along with the mid frequency switch, very usable pan knobs, the list goes on and on. As a newbie into the bass territory I am thoroughly impressed and I would recommend this instrument to anyone. A word of advice though. Run the Bass through a Full range speaker. A lone Subwoofer wont do it justice, seriously. // 9

SR600 Reviewed by: martin.roussev, on january 16, 2014

Purchased from: Milonga Music

Features: I got this bass guitar in the year 2012 from Milonga Music, a store in France which is now closed. It was made in Indonesia. It looks like the Cort Artisan B4, and it has the same pickups and tuners as it. It has 24 frets, which is useful for playing solos. You have a bass, mid, treble, volume and tone nob on it, as well as a mid range 2 way switch. It is active, so you need to get a battery for it if the one you get with the bass runs out. No cables or straps are included. It has a 2+2 string headstock. The body is ash. // 6

Sound: I use this bass with my Hartke A35, which makes it sound very nice. You can play a variety of different genres from metal to funk. I would use this bass for reggae or funk if I had to chose from a variety of different basses, but my style of play is rock or alternative. When it is not plugged in, it is quite loud. If you play very hard on the strings it sounds quite bad since the strings vibrate against the neck. It is easy to slide. the sound is quite bright, but surprisingly it sounds more muddy at the high end. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar played very well when I first got it, but it took me a while to find out what the switch was for, and I don't think it works very well. I didn't change the strings for a while, and the pickups seemed fine apart from that they seem a bit not correctly in place. A day or 2 after I bought it I found a small black mark on the body, but it wasn't too noticeable. The strings were placed on the guitar very well. The guitar does not have a specific color, as it only has a coat of wood polish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar sounds good live, and it seems like it would last. I have had no problems with sound or straps, but I am afraid that one day when I am performing the battery will run out, so keep an extra in your pocket if you ever perform with this. Sometimes when I practice or when I carry it the strap comes off at one end, but it doesn't happen too much. The strings did not break for a year, but then I changed them. I am sure that the strings I have put on it will last for a very long time. The holes at the bridge for the strings seem a bit too big. // 7

Overall Impression: I usually play rock, and as my first bass, this has impressed me. I don't think I had much experience with good guitars back then, but now I realize that I made a good choice. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again because it's not too pricey and it's really good. My favorite feature is the fact that it has a mid-range switch. I don't like the fact that it doesn't do so much though. I don't like that the cable input is inside the body, not at the side, because like this I cannot use a battery micro amp. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S7521 8 Electric Guitars 11/26/2014