SR605 Review

review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
SR605 Reviewed by: GuitarRhiger, on february 18, 2013

Price paid: € 599

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This is a 5 string bass made in Indonesia, and I bought it in the beginning of 2013. The body is made out of Ash, and the neck is Bubinga and jatoba. The rosewood fretboard has 24 frets and oval abalone inlays. The finish is natural flat. It has two Bartolini MK-1 pickups, which are active, with a pan pot to control the blending of the pickups. It got bass, mid and treble eq, and a mid freq switch, and a volume knob. This is the five string version of the Ibanez SR600. It came with a normal jack cable. // 10

Sound: You could possibly get almost every sound you want with this bass, because it has so many settings, the options are endless. I can get a very fat and warm sound, I can get a clean clear sound, I can get like almost perfect tone for slap. I play funk, jazz, blues, rock, metal, the list goes on... And this bass sounds amazing with everything. I play through a Fender Bronco 40. I love the mid frequency switch, I use it to switch between normal bass line/rhythm fat sound and clear lead sound. The pickups are awesome, they got everything that I want; power and tone. It's not noisy at all, even at high volumes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up almost like I wanted it, expect the pickup height. It's really nice to play, it's almost like a dream when I slap on it, compared to my Epiphone, it's much easier to slap on this. The cutaway is perfect, you can reach the higher frets without problems, and the neck is very thin, in the start I didn't really feel comfortable with it, but now I'm fine. It doesn't weight much, I was very surprised when I picked it up the first time. It is very nice when I practise with my band, I often needed breaks because the bass was heavy for the shoulder, but I could stand up with this a whole session (about 2-3 hours) if I wanted to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this bass for long, but it seems like a pretty solid craftsmanship, but I'm a bit nervous for the neck, it's really thin and I don't think it will survive a big drop, but I don't know, it just seems so easy to break. The straps withstands. There is not much to say about the finish since it's a natural, so if it gets a scratch it would not be anything to see. The tuners and the bridge are ok, I could have wished for better, because the bass doesn't hold tuning for that long, that you could have hoped for. // 8

Overall Impression: I been playing for about 2 years now, and it's only my second bass, and I just love it. It's perfect for my needs, and I was thinking about buying either this or a Fender standard jazz bass, but I don't think I could have gotten the same tones with the fender, because it doesn't have all these controls. A little thing to add is the input design is just fantastic, with my old bass I broke two cables, but this "protects" the end of your cable. If this Ibanez were stolen or broken, I would definitely buy it again. You get so much for the money here, and I would it recommend to every kind of bassist who is looking for a 5 string. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014