SR705 Review

9.4
 8.3
review (1) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
SR705 Reviewed by: FUT55, on july 27, 2009

Purchased from: Pinkston and Sons' music (local)

Features: The SR705 is a high end five-stringed Ibanez with 24 frets set into a rosewood fingerboard on a 5-piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck. The body wood is Mahogany, which makes it rather heavy, with a figured maple top, with transparent blue finish. Its equipped with Accu-Cast B25 bridge and Bartolini MK1-5 humbicking pickups and active EQ, which consists of one volume control, a pickup balance knob, and three knobs which boost or cut bass, middle, and treble tones respectively. // 9

Sound: The sound is very versatile due to the active bartolini eq. In the bridge position the bass has plenty of punch and mid tones. In the neck position the tone is well balanced with more bass and a smoothe percussive sound and a nice amount of growl. In the middle position (a blend between the neck and bridge) the sound is soft and clear, with an interesting amount of twang to my surpise. I've used this bass for metal, punk, jazz, blues, 70's style rock, ambient rock, bluegrass, funk and industrial/techno. And it worked perfectly for all of these styles with a twist of a few knobs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it, it was perfectly set up. But I'm not sure if that was due to the store or Ibanez. I haven't had to make a single adjustment to the pickups, the truss rod, the saddles, or the tuners after 6 months of owning and playing it a lot. The only thing iv had to adjust is that when I bought it, before it was out of the store one of the knobs fell off. But I screwed it back on no problem. Of course I still need to re tighten it now and then. As far as playability, its perfect. The neck is thin and not to broad. Ahe action is low without any buzz. The low B sits nicely. Its a little floppy though. The finish is really something beautiful. Its much darker than the Ibanez website makes it look. In some light, it looks really blue, but in other lights it looks almost purple. But for some reason, the headstock finish doesn't quite match. Its lighter and more purple. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel like this bass is very reliable. I would use it at any show without a back up. The knobs come loose every now and then but thats nothing big. The strap buttons are very solid, but they aren't too big, if your using an old warn out strap it may slip off. Iv taken all the strings completely off and left them off for long enough to clean the frets and fret wires and let it sit, when i put new strings on, the neck was still in perfect position. I doubt if I'll ever need to replace the pickups or the bridge, which seams pretty solid. My only real doubt is the finish which is pretty scrathed up on the back even though I don't wear chains or rough belts or anything like that when I play it. Theres a white mark on the headstock which I think came from hitting it on a wall by accident. But other than that, its held up pretty well. // 9

Overall Impression: I play every style and genra of music on this bass. I play it with my fingers, slap and with a pick. Its a very versatile bass and it feels great to play. I have been playing for almost a year and a half. I own an S101 Precision fake, an Ibanez Acoustic, and kingston viola style bass. I use this bass as my main instrument. If it were lost or stolen, I would replace it without a question unless I had enough money for a custom built Ibanez. When I bought it I compared it to many other Ibanez basses, a few Fenders, a Specter, and even a Gibson, and nothing elso compared. I just wish it were lighter, maybe with hollow chambers or something. And I wish the headstock was less ugly. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ EDR170 8.7 Electric Guitars 11/18/2014