SRX2EX1 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/08/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SRX2EX1
The SRX2EX1 bass guitar features a contoured Ibanez Soundgear body in basswood with matching headstock. The easy-to-play rosewood fingerboard has 24 medium frets and pearl dot markers. Dual humbucking pickups and 2-band EQ dial in the perfect tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 7.8
 6.9
 8.6
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
SRX2EX1 Reviewed by: Cody_Grey102, on september 08, 2008

Features: I bought this bass last year, so it's probably a 2006-2007 model, crafted in Indonesia. It's got a great range with a 24-fret playground. It's got a solid basswood body with your average maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It's got a nice, modern Ibanez style body with a sold with finish, or black if you choose. It's got an Ibanez bridge which keeps it nicely in tune. It's got a 2-band passive EQ with volume, blend, bass, and treble. The two Ibanez humbuckers, designed by EMG, churn out some deep, punchy tones. // 9

Sound: The sound is deep, punchy, and straight-forward. It maintains a full tone from the open E string all the way to the 24th fret of the G string. My influences are blues, punk rock, metal, and old school funk, and this bass can do it all. The only thing I don't like is that the mids can get a bit nasally on it. Otherwise, it's fine. The slap tone cuts just right, and it sounds great played with a pick. The fingerstyle tone also excels. I use DR Black Beauty coated strings, and it sounds amazing with those. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on my axe wasn't the greatest. The truss rod needed adjusted, because you couldn't play lower than the 5th fret without getting a buzz. It was easily fixed. The pickups were adjusted well. The only other flaw is that after about a year and a few months of owning this bass, the pickups somehow came unsoldered. I soldered them back in and it's like new. The action is great, and it's rather easy to get around the fretboard. Just be warned, the finish on the neck does stick to the hand at first, but it will wear out and feel great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass has withstood over a year of beating from me. It's my baby. There are still no finish flaws after my gigging and none of the hardware gave out. I added Dunlop Strap Locks, and the fit right in. This bass could probably last me a lifetime. Repair is easy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of christian and alternative music influenced by the above styles. I've been playing almosy two years and I gig regularly. I play this trough a Crate BT100 and a Fender BXR100, and it sounds solid through both. I also use a DigiTech BP200 multi effect for some modeling or fuzz. It handles distortion really well. I do wish it came set up better and that I asked Guitar Center to help with that, but I would buy it again if I lost it. The only thing I'd change is I'd add a Hipshot extender and a midrange EQ control. I'd recommend it. // 9

SRX2EX1 Reviewed by: EvilApollo2124, on october 30, 2007

Features: I am not sure when or where it was made but I will guess Japan or somewhere like that. 4-string, 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, 34" neck, bound basswood body, shiny black, SRX, Tune-O-Matic, active, controls (volume, balance, bass boost/cut, and treble boost/cut), stock dual humbuckers, locking tuners not sure what brand. I was kind of annoying that it didn't come with a case but I bought one anyway. // 5

Sound: It definitly suits my style, because I play so many styles it was hard to find a bass that would give me everything I wanted, but this bass blows all the others out of the water! I use a Yorkville BassMaster 100 and it has a great sound. It has no buzzing at all. It has a very rich sound and it can be very bright. I can pull all kinds of sounds out of this bass from like a really blaring low to a pop punk sound. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I went to buy it it has some buzzign on a couple of the frets but the guitar tech fixed it at the store and it has never given me a problem since ans I have had it for more than six months. Pickups were great, they not to high of the body that they stick out but you can still great great sounds out of them. It had no flaws at all. Other then one of the knobs was loose so it twisted all I had to do was tighten it and that was fixed. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I play it a lot and it has never given me a problem. The hardwear is like perfect. I have beat it up and done all kinds of stuff to it. Strap button are solid and have never been a problem. I have absolute trust in this bass! I don't' think I would ever need a backup because this bass has so many sounds. Finish is great, the only annoying things is that it's glossy so if you touch it it leaves a mark but it looks great. // 5

Overall Impression: I play everying so it's perfect! I have been playing for over six months and it's been a great experience. I would replace it if were stolen becuase their are other basses I would want more. I probably most love the Rosewood fretboard it's looks camo. Like I said earlier the glossy finsh is annoying. // 5

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014